Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
highburyJD

Re: Olivier Giroud and Alan Smith

Post by highburyJD »

northbank123 wrote:the assertion he's a good finisher is laughable
his finishing last season won Montpellier the league, he many times scored the only chance of the game. He's been less consistent for us, had some great performances Newcastle, Brighton, WestHam but not enough so far. Hopefully second half of the season he can push on, he took 7 games to get one goal, which makes his stats worse (should have scored v Sunderland Stoke and Liverpool - each time very clever movement then a poor finish). I think you're wrong about Giroud, and will be happily accepting it by the end of next season
northbank123 wrote:It's all airy-fairy "he links well with..." type statements with no substance behind it.
sorry what are you looking for...? Stats are hated here - but I specifically say Giroud links up well when moving the ball left for Podolski and Gibbs and that has 'no substance'?? More specifically Gibbs volley v Swansea, Podolski v Montpellier, there's another Podolski goal from a one-two, can't remember against who... I'm not your match researcher dude, look them up yourself. No substance, Pfff
Last edited by highburyJD on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markyp

Post by markyp »

highburyJD wrote:
his finishing last season won Montpellier the league, he many times scored the only chance of the game. He's been less consistent for us, had some great performances Newcastle, Brighton, WestHam but not enough so far. Hopefully second half of the season he can push on, he took 7 games to get one goal, which makes his stats worse (should have scored v Sunderland Stoke and Liverpool - each time very clever movement then a poor finish). I think you're wrong and that Giroud will be happily accepting it by the end of next season
northbank123 wrote:It's all airy-fairy "he links well with..." type statements with no substance behind it.
sorry what are you looking for...? Stats are hated here - but I specifically say Giroud links up well when moving the ball left for Podolski and Gibbs and that has 'no substance'?? More specifically Gibbs volley v Swansea, Podolski v Montpellier, there's another Podolski goal from a one-two, can't remember against who... I'm not your match researcher dude, look them up yourself. No substance, Pfff
the thing is by the law of averages alone if you stand up top long enough you will create/score goals,doesnt make you a world beater though.i could stand there and let the ball bounce off of me to podolski,walnutt,cazorla but that doesnt make me good enough to play for Arsenal does it

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

highburyJD wrote:
his finishing last season won Montpellier the league, he many times scored the only chance of the game. He's been less consistent for us, had some great performances Newcastle, Brighton, WestHam but not enough so far. Hopefully second half of the season he can push on, he took 7 games to get one goal, which makes his stats worse (should have scored v Sunderland Stoke and Liverpool - each time very clever movement then a poor finish). I think you're wrong and that Giroud will be happily accepting it by the end of next season
Regardless of what you've read about what he did at Montpellier then he has scored only a handful of goals outside the 6 yard box (which would be fine if he was scoring plenty but he hasn't really) and spurns so many chances, and despite being pretty good in the air he also misses far too many chances with his head. He's done nowhere near enough at Arsenal to show that he is a good or even an adequate finisher at this level.

And those were the two/three nice flicks I could recall when I commented on his hold-up play etc - doesn't really show that much considering he's played about 45 games for us.

As I said not writing him off is one thing but it's flying in the face of all evidence and reason to say things like Chelsea would love to have him and suggesting that he's done well for us this season.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

northbank123 wrote:Regardless of what you've read about what he did at Montpellier
actually I missed around half-a-dozen Montpellier games last season
those that I missed I watched extended highlights...

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

northbank123 wrote:And those were the two/three nice flicks I could recall when I commented on his hold-up play etc - doesn't really show that much considering he's played about 45 games for us.
I'm saying I think he can improve and be a good player for us. People disagree and ask why... What are you expecting here? Me to tell you about a secret dozen Arsenal goals he's scored? I'm not saying he's done it already, I'm saying I believe. I give game examples - the skill sets in his game I see as strengths. That's dismissed as 'airy-fairy'. I give specific examples of games, goals and assists - that 'doesn't show much'.
northbank123 wrote:As I said not writing him off is one thing but it's flying in the face of all evidence and reason to say things like Chelsea would love to have him and suggesting that he's done well for us this season.
happy to stand by that - know lots of Chels season ticket holders who are disappointed in Ba.
His knee probs are well documented so he can't be overplayed. IMO Torres looks like he's hiding, he never wants the ball, he's scared to get chances because he thinks he'll miss them. That's not the case with Giroud.
I'd play him at least half the time if I was Giroud's manager at Chelsk.

Are those that say he wouldn't get near the Chelski team of the opinion Torres is better?
Because Ba hasn't been all that, and def can't play every week..

UlsterGooner

Post by UlsterGooner »

He has scored 15 goals in his first season, how can some people think he is not good. Ok yes he is no RVP but he is a good player

hartygooner

Post by hartygooner »

He aint pulling up any trees but I dont think he is absolute shit either. Why is it at the Arsenal we have to wait a season for a player to "adapt" whilst the available players such as Mata and Hazard look class straight away? We need a proven stricker in the summer and this guy can have his "adaptation period" with cameos here and there from the bench and in the so called easier games, not that they exist anymore when it comes to Arsenal. See Bradford, Blackburn and many others as examples.

Cheers

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

highburyJD wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Regardless of what you've read about what he did at Montpellier
Ignoring the fact that you were born more than 5 minutes from Montpellier's stadium and therefore have no right to follow them, maybe you can explain how a previously good finisher has looked unable to hit a barn door for most of the season then?

richpye

Post by richpye »

hartygooner wrote:He aint pulling up any trees but I dont think he is absolute shit either. Why is it at the Arsenal we have to wait a season for a player to "adapt" whilst the available players such as Mata and Hazard look class straight away? We need a proven stricker in the summer and this guy can have his "adaptation period" with cameos here and there from the bench and in the so called easier games, not that they exist anymore when it comes to Arsenal. See Bradford, Blackburn and many others as examples.

Cheers
It's the difference when you consistently shop in the 7-12 million player category as opposed to the twenty million+ category

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

northbank123 wrote:
highburyJD wrote:
Ignoring the fact that you were born more than 5 minutes from Montpellier's stadium and therefore have no right to follow them, maybe you can explain how a previously good finisher has looked unable to hit a barn door for most of the season then?

Most people are affected by pressure and/or a lack of confidence at some point in their lives, so it's hardly a stretch to think it could affect a Premier League striker.

That said, I'd never seen Giroud play before he signed for Arsenal, so I can only comment on his Arsenal career; and for us, his finishing has been poor - especially with the ball at his feet.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

he lacks pace, he lacks skill, he lacks finesse to finish.

I honestly can't see him being part of a future arsenal that is ambitious. If we are to remain a club on the fringes battling for 4th place, he may be adequate, but that is not certain.

I have nothing against the guy, he wants to do well for arsenal and he is not complacent, but once again I feel we've been looking in the wrong price bracket.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Supagoon wrote:he lacks pace, he lacks skill, he lacks finesse to finish.

I honestly can't see him being part of a future arsenal that is ambitious. If we are to remain a club on the fringes battling for 4th place, he may be adequate, but that is not certain.

I have nothing against the guy, he wants to do well for arsenal and he is not complacent, but once again I feel we've been looking in the wrong price bracket.

In my opinion he should be the back up striker. The guy to come off the bench when we are chasing a game and need to mix it up a bit, play more direct, rather then resort to sticking Mertersaker up top in desparation. Gervinho isn't the answer, nor Theo, so it is a super quality addition needed and as we all know they are never available for anything less than dizzying prices (like our tickets) so very unlikely to happen.

markyp

Post by markyp »

StuartL wrote:
Supagoon wrote:he lacks pace, he lacks skill, he lacks finesse to finish.

In my opinion he should be the back up striker. The guy to come off the bench when we are chasing a game and need to mix it up a bit, play more direct, rather then resort to sticking Mertersaker up top in desparation. Gervinho isn't the answer, nor Theo, so it is a super quality addition needed and as we all know they are never available for anything less than dizzying prices (like our tickets) so very unlikely to happen.
i think you are right stuart,giroud should be a plan b,coming off the bench to give us another dimension, i.e desperado balls flung into the box in the hope he gets his head on it or a flick on from a toe punt up field,but defo not a starter no way

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

northbank123 wrote:
highburyJD wrote:
Ignoring the fact that you were born more than 5 minutes from Montpellier's stadium and therefore have no right to follow them .....
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

That is genuinely funny!! :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
highburyJD wrote:
Ignoring the fact that you were born more than 5 minutes from Montpellier's stadium and therefore have no right to follow them .....
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

That is genuinely funny!! :lol: :wink:
Good work Northbank !! :D

He does have the right to support Montpellier though but doesn't qualify as a Montpellier superfan i.e. one that offers unofficial tours to overseas fans and was probably pleased when they got knocked out of the CL