Aaron Ramsey - statistics and form etc.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Aaron Ramsey - statistics and form etc.

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I've been following Arsenal since I was 6, I'm 24 now and I genuinely cannot recall an Arsenal player I've hated and actually loathed so much as Aaron Ramsey. That is saying something from a club who has had players like Aluminia, Eboue and Bendtner. Ramsey actually makes me wish we still had Denilson playing for us.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

He's not a centre midfielder and he's not a right midfielder so I have some sympathy for him.

He needs to play in a midfield three. Play him in the Ozil position and he'll be back to his 2014 best, scoring goals and making driving runs into the box. Wenger has taken that weapon from his game by trying to shoehorn him into a side where Ozil already occupies the only position he can really play effectively.

He's never going to be a top class centre midfielder as his game lacks positional discipline and his passing isn't strong enough. Trust Wenger to play him in a role that gets the very worst out of him! - what next, Theo as a lone striker? :oops: Bendtner on the wing? :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Rosie_titters wrote:Just wondering why Ramsey isn't making those runs in to the box he was doing a couple of years ago. When he scored a hell of a lot of important goals for us. He was excellent then and scored good goals against Munich and in the FA Cup against Hull.
On Sunday he was playing a lot deeper and on many occasions Elneny was further forward. I am wondering if he is being accommodated to suit others.
Absolutely. My view is that he is not making those runs because He has this vision of himself as a game-running CM like Fabregas and he thinks his job is to get on the ball as much as possible all over the pitch. Reality is he is nowhere near good enough in terms of passing, composure and creativity to do that. The only role he will ever be able to excel at is if he simplifies his game and plays a box to box role, getting on the end of the moves at the right time.

Unless he has that ground into him and starts scoring plenty of goals, he will never make a decent player at this level. Needs to be told that he is not good enough to play the role he wants. Contrast that with Elneny who is fairly limited ability-wise but is happy to play the bread and butter role which Ramsey has shunned, and he is outperforming him massively.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

G88ner I don't think he can plAy that number 10 role. He doesn't have enough vision and has nowhere near sharp enough feet to play in tight spaces. We tried him there after we sold Fabregas and Nasri and he looked more lost than on the wing.

Remember that in 2014 he was in a midfield three but Behind Ozil or Cazorla playing a more traditional box to box role alongside another CM/DM. Basically the same balance as now but his approach to the role (and the overall team performance) is completely different.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Rosie_titters wrote:Just wondering why Ramsey isn't making those runs in to the box he was doing a couple of years ago. When he scored a hell of a lot of important goals for us. He was excellent then and scored good goals against Munich and in the FA Cup against Hull.
On Sunday he was playing a lot deeper and on many occasions Elneny was further forward. I am wondering if he is being accommodated to suit others.
But then there is his annoying habit of him thinking he's a striker and abandoning the midfield.

Anyway, he seems to have Giroud's shooting boots on. He's the only player I don't want to shoot.

silus

Post by silus »

When he had his one and only good season, he sort of reminded me of frank lampard.
Personally i never really rated fat frank as a footballer (controversial I know)...for me, he couldn't pass for shit and wasn't a great tackler either.. he was, however, one of the best "box to box" midfielders around, and scored a fuck load of goals.
Although Ramseys finishing has been woeful of late (along with pretty much everyone else), I still think it's a role he is capable of doing.
The problem being is that that sort of player wouldn't fit into our tippy tappy, slow build up, pass it sideways to death "system"...so he's left with no definitive role/position.
I think with some sort of direction and a manager who told him what he is expected to do...i.e: stop with all the Hollywood bollocks and get yourself in and around the box...he could still be a decent player. As that's not our style (or lack of) play...he will unfortunately be chucked in to the team in whatever position our Lord and master deems fit...and won't he be able to play any of them particularly well...to say the least.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Silus the Lampard comparison is one he should aspire to. A player who was technically unspectacular and not blessed with tremendous pace - but an excellent understanding of the game, his role in he team and attacking instinct (which doesn't mean touching the ball as much as possible in every move).

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

At the moment, he doesn't have a point in the side. He also has been badly coached, like many, in the side and has no discipline. I don't think that he is a bad player, but stuck in a rut that only a proper coach can get him out of.

We have been saying the same things about him for years now, but do you think that Wenger sees these things?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Top of the clearout list with Wally not far behind him. Totally and utterly shite

hartson

Post by hartson »

again, ramsey is another player i would give a year to prove himself under another proper manager like theo.....but not giroud

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

If Ramsey doesn't score he brings fuck all to the table. Bang average at every other facet of the game, yet seems to think he's far better than he actually is.

If we're not going to build a team to suit him he should be flogged to the highest bidder at the earliest opportunity.

Sean

Post by Sean »

officepest wrote:If Ramsey doesn't score he brings fuck all to the table. Bang average at every other facet of the game, yet seems to think he's far better than he actually is.

If we're not going to build a team to suit him he should be flogged to the highest bidder at the earliest opportunity.
That sounds like a pretty good description of the Lamppost too :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rambo's jump in form a couple seasons ago had alot to do with him keeping it simple, but also Giroud winning so many balls on the chest and laying off for Rambo in behind. The link up play was very good at times. Now Giroud can't be fucked bothering to try win half those balls.

But also, Rambo started believing his own press and a few media pundits like John Hartson that were bigging him up as the best midfielder in the PL and one of the best in Europe. Suddenly, Ramsey thinks he's Messi, Ronaldo and Xavi rolled into one; backheels, dragbacks, flicks, wanting to touch the ball multiple times in every passing move. By complicating his play he abandoned the run in behind (the only strong point in his game). Now struts around like a true midfield creator would, wanting to be involved in everything and controlling the pace of the game, but ultimately only choking our play and losing possession because technically and vision-wise he doesn't have the ability for that role.

Honestly, the minute I see Ramsey either on the team sheet or coming on as a sub I just think "Aw, Christ..." :groaner: :suicide:

Theo has that effect on me too. :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:He's not a centre midfielder and he's not a right midfielder so I have some sympathy for him.

He needs to play in a midfield three. Play him in the Ozil position and he'll be back to his 2014 best, scoring goals and making driving runs into the box. Wenger has taken that weapon from his game by trying to shoehorn him into a side where Ozil already occupies the only position he can really play effectively.

He's never going to be a top class centre midfielder as his game lacks positional discipline and his passing isn't strong enough. Trust Wenger to play him in a role that gets the very worst out of him! - what next, Theo as a lone striker? :oops: Bendtner on the wing? :roll:
:lol:

Was a real joy to watch Ramsey and Giroud put in even worse performances than before. :shock: Then the coup de grace from Theo...jumping over the ball :banghead:

Ramsey's anguish and Giroud's sticking out tongue exasperation should be punched out of them immediately. :barscarf:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

arseofacrow wrote:Ramsey's anguish and Giroud's sticking out tongue exasperation should be punched out of them immediately. :barscarf:
:high5:

Amen, brother.