How would an openly gay player be treated today?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
I Hate Hleb

Re: How would an openly gay player be treated today?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Herd wrote:I don't think you can "treat" someone who is gay ,they are born that way !
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Brilliant!! 8) :lol: :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Top Londoner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:Honestly though. A blokes sexuality has as much to do with footy as his naming of his new puppy, or why he chose the type of motor he drives.
Who gives a monkeys, actually.

:?
or the colour of his skin...

Well, yes.
Unfortunately racism will remain forever in our society. It is just more surrepticious than ever before. Racism will NEVER be eradicated from football because it is inherent in the British culture.
It's a shame, but it's true. Ask any black mate of yours, they will tell you that it still exists, but it's just hidden now.
Black men are seen as more of a threat than gay men. FACT.
You can't tell that a bloke is gay just by the way he looks, but a black man, well.......
I disagree, when he's looking me up and down in the shower after the game.....I can tell :shock: :lol:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:Honestly though. A blokes sexuality has as much to do with footy as his naming of his new puppy, or why he chose the type of motor he drives.

Well, yes.
Unfortunately racism will remain forever in our society. It is just more surrepticious than ever before. Racism will NEVER be eradicated from football because it is inherent in the British culture.
It's a shame, but it's true. Ask any black mate of yours, they will tell you that it still exists, but it's just hidden now.
You can't tell that a bloke is gay just by the way he looks, but a black man, well.......
I disagree, when he's looking me up and down in the shower after the game.....I can tell :shock: :lol:
Are you sure that's not wishful thinking? :twisted:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Chippy wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

Well, yes.
Are you sure that's not wishful thinking? :twisted:
:banghead: outed :oops: :lol:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Arsenal, Charlton, Crystal Palace and Millwall fans have all been named in a report sent to the Football Association by Brighton supporters detailing incidents of homophobic abuse aimed at them.

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/a ... _1_2000291

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Blimey....they don't mince their words!! 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

TeeCee wrote:Blimey....they don't mince their words!! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Top Londoner wrote:Arsenal, Charlton, Crystal Palace and Millwall fans have all been named in a report sent to the Football Association by Brighton supporters detailing incidents of homophobic abuse aimed at them.

http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/a ... _1_2000291
"“It wouldn’t be described as ‘banter’ if the taunts and chants were about skin colour and something would have been done by now to stop it."

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm not saying that genuine homophobia cannot be damaging and hurtful, by why compare everything to racism? Next we'll have DB10 comparing short jibes to racism.

Racism is racism, end of. It's not an accurate or even useful comparator for other forms of abuse. I would suggest that the vast majority of people who make homophobic jokes or even participate in chants are not genuinely homophobic.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

To my mind 'We can see you holding hands' is both funny and - in the grand scale of insulting things that could be said - relatively inoffensive. :?

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Just for DB and BG. Shortist?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Chippy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Just for DB and BG. Shortist?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They would buy a copy but music retailers have put them on the top shelf :shock: :lol:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Paul Mason of the Beeb just tweeted this. St Pauli fans demo against homophobia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... equBVSJTR0

And I found this article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-di ... --sow.html

Struggle to see it happening here, although I suppose it could happen at Brighton.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Brighton should play up to it - they should say they would welcome any openly gay player
wear pink at home and a rainbow away strip! Go out of their way to sign any decent players that come out

Brighton the 'gay' football team will be an international story,
there's a big local gay population who are more likely to attend
but it's really about the long game - eventually this homophobia in football thing will be a relic,
there will be loads of openly gay players (my opinion is there are actually a disproportionately HIGH number of gay players)

they will be the retirement home for all the good gay players - RealMadrid and Barca's gay Brazilians will wind down their career's on the South Coast - saying they've always supported Brighton and wanted to play for them
since they were little gay ballers...

genius

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:To my mind 'We can see you holding hands' is both funny and - in the grand scale of insulting things that could be said - relatively inoffensive. :?

Yeah, it's all handbags really. :shock:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Matt Lucas (gay Gooner comedian) phoned in 5Live and said anybody insulted by "we can see you holding hands" is over sensitive