Banners for first home game

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IrishJB

Banners for first home game

Post by IrishJB »

No point in commenting here - if you would worship AW in whatever he does - ie even if we were relegated. Believe you me there are some who would! Sure soooo grateful for the great times he gave us, but now is now!

But, if you too are 'pixxed off' with yet another summer of either 'nil' or 'shxx' acquisitions, wanna do something positive?

Looking for Gooners who are in key seats ie near corner flags or behind goals to hold up banners at such moments eg corners, free kicks etc reading something like "Spend some F'kn money Arsen!" Must be homemade - big enough and nothing on them that could get you or others kicked out.

Interested? send me a PM

northbank123

Re: Banners for first home game

Post by northbank123 »

Don't use swear words on any banners (or even euphemisms like "f-ing" etc) - it'll cheapen the point, reduce coverage and be a legitimate excuse for them to be taken down. News/footage of stewards taking down banners for purely being anti-Wenger would be fantastic, so don't give them any other excuse to fall down on.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

IrishJB wrote:reading something like "Spend some F'kn money Arsen!" Must be homemade - big enough and nothing on them that could get you or others kicked out.
:lol: "Spend some fucking money" probably not a great choice of words then.

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

northbank123 wrote:Don't use swear words on any banners (or even euphemisms like "f-ing" etc) - it'll cheapen the point, reduce coverage and be a legitimate excuse for them to be taken down. News/footage of stewards taking down banners for purely being anti-Wenger would be fantastic, so don't give them any other excuse to fall down on.
Fair point and tks for your comment - any suggestions for the banner/s?

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

Dan_85 wrote:
IrishJB wrote:reading something like "Spend some F'kn money Arsen!" Must be homemade - big enough and nothing on them that could get you or others kicked out.
:lol: "Spend some fucking money" probably not a great choice of words then.
OK you've gone and said the word in full! you dare devil you! and you are exactly on which side of the fence? for a banner or against banners? if you are for one, what's your suggestion ?

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

Come on guys n gals prove me wrong and prove Gunners fans can take 'legit' action ie a march, banners etc?, as so far with 60 odd people having viewed this thread, that's only 2 comments .... :banghead:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Well I think your first decision has to be is the banner going to be mainly demanding money to be spent or is it going to be mainly anti-Wenger? Might seem like it can be both but the former (something like time to spend or even spend or go) suggests things can be turned around and general dissatisfaction with the club whereas the latter (something along the line's of time's up) is calling for change at managerial level - albeit because of failure to spend. Any message will fall overwhelmingly into one of those two categories.

I'd also try and avoid anything that people can criticise and belittle as undermining the team - no direct references to the players not being good enough, etc (even though it's an obvious underpinning point).

People have plenty of ideas about banners and it's something the vast majority on here would like to see happen but similar ventures haven't really come to fruition as people had hoped and getting people to actively participate has been pretty difficult I think. Best of luck though.

markyp

Post by markyp »

I like the TICK TOCK WENGER idea suggested in the emirates cup thread

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

markyp wrote:I like the TICK TOCK WENGER idea suggested in the emirates cup thread
Yep - Sounds gr8!

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

markyp wrote:I like the TICK TOCK WENGER idea suggested in the emirates cup thread
Excellent idea. I hope he gets more than a gold watch tho' after another few years for his 25 in charge.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Me too. Highbury/doomsday clock... 2 minutes to midnight.... 2 minutes from disaster. Clear and clever 8)

(IU4GN and Dan's idea I think 8) )

blocknineteen

Post by blocknineteen »

Waving banners will not hurt the club or make them make changes. The are interested in thing and that's money. If genuine gooners stop buying official merchandise, crap beer and food at matches as a sign off enough is enough, changes may happen sooner than you think. Unfortunately, the corporate and tourist visitors to the ground would not care less....
Hit them where it hurts, their bank balance!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Hlebby(?) also suggested the banners/placards could simply have the words "TICK TOCK" - without naming the guilty parties, everyone with an iota of common sense would know what it inferred.

Or perhaps one saying (depending on the day/date) 28 Days till the window closes or msomething similar...The thing is because Freedom of Speech is not allowed in the bowl, any banner is going to have to be carefully worded

All kinds of things are possible: eg: A banner could have the wording (perhaps for an other time, when there is more time)

"There's Only One Arsene Wenger" and when it has been up for long enough so the gestapo deem it NOT subversive to the glorious *word censored* - I mean leader, then another bit (which is folded under) drops down saying "And he IS for sale"

Eventually any of the WOB will need to run the sheeple / AKB gauntlet...and sadly the club all always side on those adoring the *word censored*

mind you Dan the man has some good (design) ideas

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36457&start=15

The only proper way of being able to use banner/s as part of a protest without having them confiscated is outside the bowl....and if the present scenario of no spending continues, it looks like those kind of protests will need to be held

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

blocknineteen wrote:Waving banners will not hurt the club or make them make changes. The are interested in thing and that's money. If genuine gooners stop buying official merchandise, crap beer and food at matches as a sign off enough is enough, changes may happen sooner than you think. Unfortunately, the corporate and tourist visitors to the ground would not care less....
Hit them where it hurts, their bank balance!
Yep, that's right mate. By the very nature of their visit, the corporates and tourists don't care. But neither do the majority of season ticket holding gooners - or at least it seems those of us who would see the back of the board and Wenger are in the minority.

Just look at the attitude of our fellow fans during the bond protests.

Good ol Arsenal
We're proud to say that name
While you protest loud
We'll fuck off home.

:barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

g88ner wrote:
Me too. Highbury/doomsday clock... 2 minutes to midnight.... 2 minutes from disaster. Clear and clever 8)

(IU4GN and Dan's idea I think 8) )
It was Worthing_Gooner who first suggested the "Tick Tock" idea..Dan came up with a good design based on WG's idea.