To Users of the Forum...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
greengooner

Re: To Users of the Forum...

Post by greengooner »

From now on I will mostly be using the word fannyspanner to describe our glorious leader

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

The c-word in its Spanish form is an everyday expletive. If an old lady drops a knife in a restaurant she'll use it. When we first moved here it was a shock to hear teachers, housewives etc use it. However, I soon realised it's just a word. Why is it different to the f-word, g-word, etc.

On a wider note, should forum members have to change their behaviour every time someone is offended or might be offended.

imo 'bad' language should only incur sanction when such abuse is directed at another forum user, not when it is just an intensifer. As I once heard someone say "In London 'Fuck' is just punctuation".

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

To lighten up the mood..

The history of the f word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-kg2pYYXg

Very funny

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Does this apply to players of other teams, or is it purely Arsene Wenger-specific?

Good idea for a banner? :lol:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

If its good enough for Ghandi

http://youtu.be/cdvTLw4pkGc

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I myself will be using the term 'ham wallet' from now on......I hope that is acceptable :mrgreen:

augie

Post by augie »

GranadaJoe wrote:The c-word in its Spanish form is an everyday expletive. If an old lady drops a knife in a restaurant she'll use it. When we first moved here it was a shock to hear teachers, housewives etc use it. However, I soon realised it's just a word. Why is it different to the f-word, g-word, etc.

On a wider note, should forum members have to change their behaviour every time someone is offended or might be offended.

imo 'bad' language should only incur sanction when such abuse is directed at another forum user, not when it is just an intensifer. As I once heard someone say "In London 'Fuck' is just punctuation".

Absolute nail on the head joe - in that context it is unacceptable imo but other than that I dont see the problem

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

As a mod on here I have to state that I absolutely don't agree with this. Banning someone for swearing? For using one particular word? That is ridiculous. The reason we had problems before was the levels of personal abuse had become too high on here, not because people were using one particular word.

Context is everything for me. Personally, I feel if the word is used to aim personal abuse at another member then that is not acceptable. But to vent frustration, or in jest? Where is the harm?

And where should we stop? Ban all swear words? On a football forum? :roll:

REB

Post by REB »

agree with db10.

scfc64

Post by scfc64 »

Well hypothetically then,I hope your boys don't draw sCUNTthorpe United in the cup. This board will be in meltdown,it surely will....(and don't call me Shirley.) TTFN :cheekkiss: :cheekkiss: ....that's for Mr.Hash !
Last edited by scfc64 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Fuck me sideways, a swear word :shock:

Dudley Moore and Peter Cook used this word about 100 times in a sketch nigh on 40 years ago :? :roll: :lol:

http://youtu.be/RYGy-j_oH5Q

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:As a mod on here I have to state that I absolutely don't agree with this. Banning someone for swearing? For using one particular word? That is ridiculous. The reason we had problems before was the levels of personal abuse had become too high on here, not because people were using one particular word.

Context is everything for me. Personally, I feel if the word is used to aim personal abuse at another member then that is not acceptable. But to vent frustration, or in jest? Where is the harm?

Agree to a point but where does it stop? When the transfer window shuts and Wenger has only signed Flamini (and maybe Sneijder :wink: ) this place will go into meltdown and a number of people will be called all sorts of things I'm guessing. The rules are set and if the calling of Wenger as a *word censored* puts of pro Wengerites from joining or posting on the forum (as it has in the past) then lets call it now. Also I think calling me a *word censored* for making shite transfer rumours, DB10 for pretending to have shagged 3/4's of Britain or Sid for falling asleep in public toilets :wink: is a different matter it's banter, when it's used in hatred it different all together

Just my views

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:As a mod on here I have to state that I absolutely don't agree with this. Banning someone for swearing? For using one particular word? That is ridiculous. The reason we had problems before was the levels of personal abuse had become too high on here, not because people were using one particular word.

Agree to a point but where does it stop? When the transfer window shuts and Wenger has only signed Flamini (and maybe Sneijder :wink: ) this place will go into meltdown and a number of people will be called all sorts of things I'm guessing. The rules are set and if the calling of Wenger as a *word censored* puts of pro Wengerites from joining or posting on the forum (as it has in the past) then lets call it now. Also I think calling me a *word censored* for making shite transfer rumours, DB10 for pretending to have shagged 3/4's of Britain or Sid for falling asleep in public toilets :wink: is a different matter it's banter, when it's used in hatred it different all together

Just my views
Thought you were gonna say DB for being 3/4 the height of a standard dwarf :shock: :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Can we assume that complaints have been received/were received in the past, because Wenger has been called a nincompoop? Or is it because people have been called nincompoops directly out of malice?

:|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

Just my views
Thought you were gonna say DB for being 3/4 the height of a standard dwarf :shock: :lol:
Flash - I agree with Mike in that the abuse on here had to be addressed and if the word is used in an angry abusive manner towards people than fair enough we should be deleting it. But if it's used to vent frustration or in banter then I think it's silly to delete it or ban people. Further, it's more like 4/5's of your British women. 8)

Lefty - that would still put me above you, ya fucking Ewok bastard ya!! :lol: :wink: :wink: