The "Y" Word debate

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: The "Y" Word debate: F**K OFF CAMERON YOU WANKER

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: Hmmmm. So, if one Jewish Homosexual called another Jewish Homosexual a Gay Goy or a Goy Gay would that then be considered an insult lighthearted or not etc? :mrgreen:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:Olgit

The word Goy is not a derogatory term at all.
It is Hebrew, it simply means "Nation", the plural Goyim meaning "Nations".

It is simply a word meaning someone who is not Jewish.

The link you provided has an incorrect definition.
Ah, but in everyday usage there are Jews who use "Goy" and "Goyim" in an almost "lighthearted" derogatory way.
Exactly. The first time I heard "Goy" mentioned was when the great Jewish American comedian Jackie Mason made a joke about it.

Jackie is a bit of a hero to me.

Many years ago he was playing Las Vegas. Frank Sinatra walked in with a very much younger lady. Jackie made a joke about it. Frank got the hump. The next day Jackie was "warned off". With a gun in the face. Not fired, thankfully.

The following night Jackie was on stage. He described the previous night's encounter.

He said "I knew it was Frank. When he walked away....I could hear him singing...."Strangers in the Night"

What a brave man.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I thought he HAD been shot....and used to say he knew it was Sinatra because he could hear someone walking away singing Doo Bee Doo Bee Doooo! :? :|

Funny bloke though.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

olgitgooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:Olgit

The word Goy is not a derogatory term at all.
It is Hebrew, it simply means "Nation", the plural Goyim meaning "Nations".

It is simply a word meaning someone who is not Jewish.

The link you provided has an incorrect definition.
Ah, but in everyday usage there are Jews who use "Goy" and "Goyim" in an almost "lighthearted" derogatory way.
Exactly.
They are using it in a reprehensible way if it is derogatory.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Perhaps 'yok' is also offensive to some, as well as ****.
Rather like some black comedians use the 'n' word I reckon.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

West Ham United have announced that they are going to dish out bans to "anyone" making anti-semitic chants etc at their game against the Scum this weekend,(and absolutely right to do so).
I just hope that by "anyone" they mean the Scum fans as well!!!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Police have suggested they may arrest anybody using the word. It's just nowhere near isolated enough for something like that to actually be implemented.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

northbank123 wrote:Police have suggested they may arrest anybody using the word. It's just nowhere near isolated enough for something like that to actually be implemented.
Not necessarily, they've said they'll arrest anybody, not everybody. Personally if I had a choice between risking a criminal record and not singing the word **** I know which one I'd pick. But then we are talking about spurs fans here 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LDB wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Police have suggested they may arrest anybody using the word. It's just nowhere near isolated enough for something like that to actually be implemented.
Not necessarily, they've said they'll arrest anybody, not everybody. Personally if I had a choice between risking a criminal record and not singing the word **** I know which one I'd pick. But then we are talking about spurs fans here 8)
It would certainly be enough to put me off using it but then again it's not a word I would really use anyway.

What I don't get is why Spurs fans seem so attached to the word. I understand the frustration about making a word that has been used for donkeys years being targeted but is being able to use the Y-word really that important to them?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
LDB wrote:
It would certainly be enough to put me off using it but then again it's not a word I would really use anyway.

What I don't get is why Spurs fans seem so attached to the word. I understand the frustration about making a word that has been used for donkeys years being targeted but is being able to use the Y-word really that important to them?
What else have they got to desperately cling on to though ?

Grainy black and white photo's of the "glory days" before the Beatles, colour tv and decimalization ?

Chas n Dave ??

BTW would love it, love it, if we won the FA Cup this year singing "Ozil's going to Wembley, my knees have gone all trembly"

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

StuartL wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
What else have they [Spurs fans] got to desperately cling on to though ?
Chas n Dave ??
Not even them anymore :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8269057.stm

nut flush gooner

Its about time the spuds stopped using the Y word

Post by nut flush gooner »

So its come to a head today, any spurs fan using the 'Y' word in any context is liable to get ejected from the ground.

As someone who has worked for a jewish company, and has jewish arsenal mates its about time. Its a contradiction in terms with the spuds.

There was an EDL protest after the riots in enfield a few years ago, with most of the chavs singing 'yxx army'. How stupid is that right wing facists mocking people who use the word against their team in a racist way!

(IHH - THERE IS A THREAD ON THIS SUBJECT IN THE CANNONBALLS SECTION AND I'VE MERGED IT WITH THAT ONE. OH, AND YOU CAN'T USE THE 'Y' WORD ON HERE EITHER - EVEN WHEN DISCUSSING THE CURRENT DEBATE!!!)

Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Its about time the spuds stopped using the Y word

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Have a word with yourself, mate.

It's not used in an insulting way, they in fact are proud to be called it. Jewish spud fans have never had an issue with it, the Jewish OWNERS have never issued any protest against it being chanted. If it is used in a way where it is insulting the Jewish community then by all means ban it but after decades of it being chanted it has never been a problem but because David Baddiel now decides to bring it up, the only man who's ever been offended by it, it's now a big issue.

I would like to refer Mr Baddiel to his own fans (Chelsea) who hiss in reference to the holocaust and gas chambers, yet has he ever spoken about that? No, he hasn't.

I loath those scummy wankers with a passion but they're not doing anything wrong.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OH, AND YOU CAN'T USE THE 'Y' WORD ON HERE EITHER - EVEN WHEN DISCUSSING THE CURRENT DEBATE!!!)[/b]
:? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My life, what can people say anymore? :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:Have a word with yourself, mate.

It's not used in an insulting way, they in fact are proud to be called it. Jewish spud fans have never had an issue with it, the Jewish OWNERS have never issued any protest against it being chanted. If it is used in a way where it is insulting the Jewish community then by all means ban it but after decades of it being chanted it has never been a problem but because David Baddiel now decides to bring it up, the only man who's ever been offended by it, it's now a big issue.

I would like to refer Mr Baddiel to his own fans (Chelsea) who hiss in reference to the holocaust and gas chambers, yet has he ever spoken about that? No, he hasn't.

I loath those scummy wankers with a passion but they're not doing anything wrong.
You're wrong about Baddiel, who has spoken specifically about Chelsea fans and him and his brother's negative experiences at Chelsea. He did a programme for the BBC.

And are you a member of the Jewish community and can therefore, without fear of contradiction, say that no one is or has ever been offended by this word, regardless of context? I would find that hard to believe and it's probably one of those things that splits opinion - some don't care, some are vehemently against it, some would rather not hear it at all.