Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SpendSumEffinMoney

Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by SpendSumEffinMoney »

Its official; you can go to bed now:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... rd-welbeck

topgoon

Re: Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by topgoon »

I am as happy as a vampire whose girlfriend's on her period.

I can't wait to see him tear it up against the league and Europe's elite.

GTFI Danny lad :barscarf: :barscarf:

You said don't moan but nothing about being facetious :wink:

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Welcome Welbz!!!

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Pros:

Reasonably fast, powerful, tall, works hard, has Premiership experience and International experience, able to play up front or wide midfield, has a point to prove, is still young.

Cons:

20 goals in 90 League games offers no clear proof he can be the prolific striker we are crying out for.

Other thoughts:

Vaguely similar to Wiltord in style.

I reckon he has a lot to do to convince Arsenal fans.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Welcome to The Arsenal son.

you've said that TH14 is your idol, well keep your head down, work hard and if you're half the player he was then the Highbury crowd will love you.

a 5 year deal is good business - thats 23-28 and two years possibly more beyond The Idiots tenure.

like i hoped Giroud and Pod would work out, we should support him 100% this season.

btw if all fit we have the largest ingerland contingent now - chambers, gibbs, wilshire,ox, wally, welbeck that we've had since 2000.

SpendSumEffinMoney

Post by SpendSumEffinMoney »

Pro: all the above
Cons: Has no composure or any real talent. Everything he does well seems accidental like Gevinho.

Ugh he will do.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

QuartzGooner wrote:Pros:

Reasonably fast, powerful, tall, works hard, has Premiership experience and International experience, able to play up front or wide midfield, has a point to prove, is still young.

Cons:

20 goals in 90 League games offers no clear proof he can be the prolific striker we are crying out for.

Other thoughts:

Vaguely similar to Wiltord in style.

I reckon he has a lot to do to convince Arsenal fans.
That last sentence could decide whether or not he is successful here. I'll admit bar his versatility and hard work,I'm not keen on him but sadly he's a Gooner now so support him I will.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Good luck to him, I think he has the tools and desire to well. Was always a handful with excellent movement when he faced us.

The 20 in 90 appearances stat is a bit misleading. I'd love to know the average duration of those appearances. It's probably not very long.

I won't hold the fact that we didn't sign other players or better players against him. He should be supported and encouraged by all supporters and only booed or slagged off if his performances merit it.

United fans seem genuinely furious that he was let go without getting a chance to prove himself.

trustno10

Post by trustno10 »

From Henry and Bergkamp to Van Persie to Giroud and Welbeck. We may have only 3 more years of Wenger but we have 5 more years of suffering with these donkeys upfront :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i reckon he has a lot to do to convince us, but so do then does wally, ox and wilshire for different reasons.

i posted this earlier :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thu8MA8ctYw

tap ins but some composure too there.

btw united fans on bbc think he might be the next sturridge. lets hope so.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Welcome to Arsenal. Think this will work out better for us than we realise. Look at the 3 clear chances sanogo had at Leicester, welbeck would have put 2 of them away, and 1assist....he's gonna start if he doesn't get injured on Wednesday.

Yes I would've loved us to sign Falcao, but considering he had the same injury as Theo and is 5 years older there is a greater risk and no guarantee he'll adapt to EPL during the recovery period. I remember shearer getting the same injury at 28 or 29 and it took him 1 and a half years to fully recover.
He's quicker and better goalscorer than Giroud, played through the middle with Alexis and Theo either side we'll certainly have pace up front. Ozil will be top assister in Europe again by end of season.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

gp543 wrote:
The 20 in 90 appearances stat is a bit misleading. I'd love to know the average duration of those appearances. It's probably not very long.
Apparently its 20 in 53 starts...doesn't look as bad now. 8 international goals in 26 games isn't too bad either, from the wing.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
gp543 wrote:
Apparently its 20 in 53 starts...doesn't look as bad now. 8 international goals in 26 games isn't too bad either, from the wing.
Thanks for clarifying the stats.

Stating the obvious, but it is going to be interesting for all of us, because regardless of his previous form, we will above all have to see how he fits in with Ozil and Cazorla supplying him.

They in turn have to adapt their game to suit Wellbeck.

And so will Alexis Sanchez and Ramsey, in the timing of their runs and the spaces they run in to.

It certainly gives Campbell competition, and The Ox and Gnabry who will challenge Wellbeck for a midfield spot if Giroud returns up front.

That is one other idea, how Giroud and Wellbeck can play off each other if we ever try two up front towards the end of the season.

Post by 1989 »

Welbeck can't finish:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Oh Danny Boy
The grove, the grove is calling...
From end to end
And down the Holloway...