26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Funny to think back that in those days my dad had no idea of the result, we take twitter, internet, mobiles, texts so much for granted these days so he only found out we'd won the league when he got back around 2am and saw my Arsenal scarf at the bottom of the stairs (we'd arranged that I would leave it there as a sign if a miracle happened).

Happy, happy days :barscarf:[/quote]

That's magical Rodders. Did he wake you up to make sure you weren't taking the piss?!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
That's magical Rodders. Did he wake you up to make sure you weren't taking the piss?!
:lol:

Nah, at 9 I was fairly trustworthy, only became a cynical old bastard since joining this forum thanks to Augie and Sid :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I remember it well, was 13 at the time and watched the ending in my kitchen while eating my second dinner (teenage years were fat years) never seen hysteria like it before on the final whistle.

Sky have been trying for years to match that, Aguero came close but was never as dramatic as this as this was a winner takes all.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

"It's Up For Grabs Now"

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Moments like this come along so rarely in life when they Do happen it is like the whole world changes.... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Aguero scoring a last minute winner, at home, against 10 men relegation threatened dross QPR or Michael Thomas, away at fortress Anfield, the top 2 teams in the league, in the last minute, of the very last game of that league season, against Liverpool, the most dominant side in Europe of that decade.

Blow it up your own hole Sly Sports (kudos DB10) you'll never see it's like again :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:Aldridge is still a bitter bastard over this, only last year I heard him in an interview talking about that game and he hates Arsenal because of it. When they knocked us out of the champions league a few years back he was doing co-commentary on some victim local radio station and was screaming when they won that it was revenge for '89.

Massive, massive bell end : :censored:
Yeah! I remember him and Barnes giving each other low 5's - with one minute to go....and when the whistle blew - TA6 went over to shake their hands and they brushed him off/away - Classless Bunch of No mark Cuntts.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

"The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject!
Aldridge is down, Barnes is down, Dalglish just stands there,
Nichols on his knees, McMahon is on his knees"
:barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
"The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject!
Aldridge is down, Barnes is down, Dalglish just stands there,
Nichols on his knees, McMahon is on his knees"
:barscarf:
Poetry Pure Poetry ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Greatest moment in the history of our club? For me, it's a dead heat between that and 15 May 2004.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

It was just pure drama, pure and utter drama. I was at Primary school then and there was only one other Arsenal fan in my class, despite it being London. It was mostly Manure and a few others and I don't even remember us talking about it that day, we were still pissed off I remember about not winning the Littlewoods cup the year before so we must have had that childhood innocence or plain naivety. I have a memory of watching that Six O'clock Live show on LWT that evening and them talking to Bob Wilson about whether we could do it and him saying yes, of course.
The match itself, well, what do you need to say? I couldn't understand why the bin dippers were moaning after Smith scored and then Thomas rushing that chance. My Dad who isn't an Arsenal fan gave Mcmahon a load of abuse and called him a bastard when he started all that one minute bollocks and then suddenly Richardson was down, Thomas was through, the ball was in the net, my Dad going mad, the ball out of play , us Champions, my Dad shouting again at the telly calling the bin dippers Bastards again and swinging me around In joy. My mum and sister had borrowed a telly off the neighbours and were watching that in the dining room and coincidentally came in a few minutes before the second goal and managed to capture the greatest ever climax to a league season completely by chance.
My Dad bought me all the papers the next day and told me to make a scrap book of all the cuttings and I spent the next morning in the he sunshine gluing and sticking then reports and pictures into a book, which is still in my parents' house to this day. Every now and again, I stumble across it when I'm over there and just sit there flicking through it again, still captivated by it all.
A year or so later, my Dad and I were at a charity football match near where we lived and Paul Davis was there. My Dad started talking to him and even though I was young, I remember him being a really nice, polite, friendly guy who just liked chatting about football. When they got talking about that night, Davis said he was in shock, just couldn't believe that they had done it and that they'd won the league.
As the game was the Friday night that half-term started, I had to wait a whole week to give it to the rest of the kids at school.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

"A NIGHT OF CHILLING SIMPLICITY"

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

probably the only dramatic final day of the old first division? aside from 1981 at our place there weren't any big finales back then with most league titles going to clear winners.

shit, almost forgot 1971 :shock: :barscarf:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Kick off time :barscarf:

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

The Greatest Day in Arsenal's History.Thats all you need to know