Who Should be Captain Next Season?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Jack
3%
BFG
21%
Ramsey
15%
Kos
33%
Alexis
6%
Cech
12%
Coq
3%
Santi
6%

Total votes: 33

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

It's about time the captaincy of the club was taken seriously, Vermaelen who hardly kicked a ball in his last season was followed by Arteta who missed the majority of the last campaign and certainly won't be first choice IF he's at the club next season. I know Wenger says we have 11 captains :roll: but since Vieira we've had fairly poor standard of what I would call captain material - Henry, Gallas :oops: Cesc, JVP, Vermaelen and Arteta.

So who would you like to see with the armband going into the new season?

Jack? Would he be first choice if we had a fully fit squad?
Ramsey? Would be in a first choice 11 but not so sure if he'd make a good captain?
BFG? Will start the season first choice but not sure he'll finish the season in our best 11.
Kos? - would get my vote, ticks all the boxes and I like my captain to be a centre back or centre midfielder (I'm old school :wink: )

I would do a poll but I've absolutely no idea how to :lol:
Last edited by rodders999 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Hate Hleb

Re: Who Should be Captain Next Season?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Rodders,

Go back into your post using Edit, then scroll down. After your message there will be a Poll Creation option.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Rodders,

Go back into your post using Edit, then scroll down. After your message there will be a Poll Creation option.

You couldn't just leave it :wink: :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I don't think rodders needs any encouragment when it comes to Poll creation.

:rubchin: :oops: :barscarf:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

mcdowell42 wrote:

<coffee spit> :lol:

As for next years captain.
I cannot think of one player vociferous or commanding enough to
just be given it. If we're talking about passion, I would hand it to Sanchez, but like rodders I too, would prefer a CB or CM.
Maybe give it to Cech?

WENGER OUT

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Thank you sir! Teach a man to fish and all of that.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

rodders999 wrote:

Unfortunately that also needs a pole :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Would say Jack but he's not responsible enough at the moment.

Based on what I saw last year, I would give it to Coquelin, not because of how he plays but because at various points last season he was the only player in the team acting like a true captain and telling people to focus and shouting at others.

That's what I would do but it won't happen.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Before I get slated, I know he's only just got in the team and some would argue we need better but it's a hypothetical question and we don't have many captains in the squad even though Wenger says we have a team of them.

Sanchez, Coquelin and Jack are the only 3 with the backbone to do it for me.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

mcdowell42 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Unfortunately that also needs a pole :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Woeful lack of options if you agree with rodders (and I do) that the captaincy should be viewed a lot more seriously than it is :x
In my opinion -

1. coquelin shouldn't get it because 3 months does not make the guy good enough (yet) to be classed as automatic first choice, and he certainly shouldn't be classed as captain material cos he goes around shouting at other players because otherwise flamoney would get it :roll:

2. No new signing should get the captaincy - a new player has enough to deal with when he moves into a new dressing room, new team set up etc, without being expected to lead players that don't know him well enough to necessarily follow him. If a new player has leadership qualities on the pitch and in the dressing room, then these qualities will come to the fore regardless so there is no sense in forcing pressure onto him.

3. sadly I don't think jack will be classed as first 11 so cannot be considered as a potential captain and imo ramsey sums up some of the biggest flaws in this current set up......arrogance - when things are going great he is a real star, but when we are under pressure he continues fcuking about with back flicks etc and that simply will not work.

4. I honestly don't feel that kos has an ounce of leadership ability in him - a passionate committed player yes, but he is not an organiser and more often than not needs to be told where to go himself

By default I voted for BFG - I believe that he is the best leader in the squad at the mo, but likewise I am no longer sure that he will remain first choice for us throughout the season :(

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I went with Santi, he had poor moments this season but then so did most in the team, i just feel that he has something that most of the others don't and will speak his mind.

I agree with everything Augie said in his post above but i wouldn't chose BFG because of the times last season where he showed he wasn't willing to put it on the line which is exactly what you expect from a CB every game.

Got to say though in reality that there isn't really anyone i'd trust right now, if Jack can get regular game time and not get injured then i feel he has potential but really the attributes you want from a great captain are sadly lacking in the team right now.

:rubchin:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

I wanted to vote for Ozil :D :D

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

There does not appear to be an obvious choice.

I voted Koscielny because he is usually on the team sheet, and I like captains to be centre backs or central midfielders because of those positions on the pitch.

Arteta will probably stay a year but how often will he play?
So make him Club Captain and Koscielny Team Captain.

Mertesacker to be the deputy.

Alexis Sanchez has incredible spirit and work rate, but does he speak much English?

If Coquelin stays, which I hope he will, then he can be considered in the future.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wonder where he gets that from !?? :rubchin: :wink: