The OX as CF????

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

The OX as CF????

Post by markyp »

thought id just put it out there,will probably get shot down in flames like I was when I suggested Jack as a DM ,but hang on he's since played there for England,not so stupid am I ? anyway obviously CF is a massive problem,im a big fan of Theo but watching him mince about against the Chavs yesterday convinved me that he isn't able to bully Cb's enough to make a pain in the bum of himself, so I suggest to you that maybe the OX could do the job.before you totally write it off have a think about it,he is lightning quick,he is physically strong and can hold off even the toughest of opponents,he is keen to get a shot away and lastly he cant be any worse than the options we already have.just think about it for a minute,ivanovic had Walnut in his pocket yesterday,there is no way he could do the same with the OX,the OX is able to hold up play something we were desperate for yesterday.i know the idea sounds a bit crazy but sometimes things are over thought , the OX has all the attributes youd want of a CF surely???????

casgooner

Re: The OX as CF????

Post by casgooner »

markyp wrote:thought id just put it out there,will probably get shot down in flames like I was when I suggested Jack as a DM ,but hang on he's since played there for England,not so stupid am I ? anyway obviously CF is a massive problem,im a big fan of Theo but watching him mince about against the Chavs yesterday convinved me that he isn't able to bully Cb's enough to make a pain in the bum of himself, so I suggest to you that maybe the OX could do the job.before you totally write it off have a think about it,he is lightning quick,he is physically strong and can hold off even the toughest of opponents,he is keen to get a shot away and lastly he cant be any worse than the options we already have.just think about it for a minute,ivanovic had Walnut in his pocket yesterday,there is no way he could do the same with the OX,the OX is able to hold up play something we were desperate for yesterday.i know the idea sounds a bit crazy but sometimes things are over thought , the OX has all the attributes youd want of a CF surely???????
For that statement alone - let's give it a try!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

He doesn't understand how to play out wide at this level yet, regularly complete abdicates his defensive responsibilities (regardless of how much that is down to an obvious lack of coaching).

I don't have any desire to watch an inexperienced player who has never been a striker at any level try and do the job in the PL.

Ox needs to learn his craft in his favoured position before we start pissing around with playing him in the middle or up front.

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:He doesn't understand how to play out wide at this level yet, regularly complete abdicates his defensive responsibilities (regardless of how much that is down to an obvious lack of coaching).

I don't have any desire to watch an inexperienced player who has never been a striker at any level try and do the job in the PL.

Ox needs to learn his craft in his favoured position before we start pissing around with playing him in the middle or up front.
he doesn't understand how to play as a winger because he isn't a winger,he is a centre midfield but as usual Wenker has him doing his apprenticeship out wide like all players seem to have to do

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

From what I've seen the Ox is best driving the midfield, like Gerrard did for Liverpool. He's got the power, pace and quality. Needs to work on the discipline of the role but I still see him playing there.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

markyp wrote:
northbank123 wrote:He doesn't understand how to play out wide at this level yet, regularly complete abdicates his defensive responsibilities (regardless of how much that is down to an obvious lack of coaching).

he doesn't understand how to play as a winger because he isn't a winger,he is a centre midfield but as usual Wenker has him doing his apprenticeship out wide like all players seem to have to do
Don't think it's quite so clear cut as with the likes of Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla etc. Bearing in mind he had played one season in League One before joining us (and I'm not sure what position he played then). Unlike the above-mentioned players he actually has the skills to play out wide - he's fast, comfortable beating a man on either side and is extremely direct.

Certainly don't think that you can claim definitively that he's a CM. He's shown a lot of promise out wide but there are just aspects of his game that need to be developed, and it would help if he had a run of games without being benched.

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:
markyp wrote:

Don't think it's quite so clear cut as with the likes of Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla etc. Bearing in mind he had played one season in League One before joining us (and I'm not sure what position he played then). Unlike the above-mentioned players he actually has the skills to play out wide - he's fast, comfortable beating a man on either side and is extremely direct.

Certainly don't think that you can claim definitively that he's a CM. He's shown a lot of promise out wide but there are just aspects of his game that need to be developed, and it would help if he had a run of games without being benched.
hes said it on numerous occasions that his position is as CM

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

And Walcott reckons he's a striker and Callum Chambers reckons he's a centre half

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:And Walcott reckons he's a striker and Callum Chambers reckons he's a centre half
and Cech reckons hes a goalie,oh hang on he is,why?because that is the position he played in growing up.Im guessing you personally saw the OX as a junior in local parks then an apprentice at Southampton to make judgement on him,no,thought not,im going by what HE SAYS,not by what all the EXPERTS here say.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

markyp wrote:
northbank123 wrote:And Walcott reckons he's a striker and Callum Chambers reckons he's a centre half
and Cech reckons hes a goalie,oh hang on he is,why?because that is the position he played in growing up.Im guessing you personally saw the OX as a junior in local parks then an apprentice at Southampton to make judgement on him,no,thought not,im going by what HE SAYS,not by what all the EXPERTS here say.
Don't know what your problem is as you seem intent on picking an argument with everyone and your sarcastic comments are just making you look an idiot.

The fact that he wants to play there or thinks he should play there is not conclusive that this is where he should play. He has not played CM at anywhere near this level before, whilst you will be surprised to know that I didn't follow him in junior football it isn't a huge leap to imagine that he probably played there at academy level because he was better than everyone else and could have the most impact there, which wouldn't necessarily translate when stepping up several levels.

I doubt that Kolo Toure thought that he should play CB but that worked out okay. Presumably it is also irrefutable that Walcott is a centre-forward and Chambers is a centre-half (despite having never played there at any level before joining us) by the same logic?

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:
markyp wrote:
Don't know what your problem is as you seem intent on picking an argument with everyone and your sarcastic comments are just making you look an idiot.

The fact that he wants to play there or thinks he should play there is not conclusive that this is where he should play. He has not played CM at anywhere near this level before, whilst you will be surprised to know that I didn't follow him in junior football it isn't a huge leap to imagine that he probably played there at academy level because he was better than everyone else and could have the most impact there, which wouldn't necessarily translate when stepping up several levels.

I doubt that Kolo Toure thought that he should play CB but that worked out okay. Presumably it is also irrefutable that Walcott is a centre-forward and Chambers is a centre-half (despite having never played there at any level before joining us) by the same logic?
ive never understood why people argue over FACTS,this is not matter of opinion its FACT.you saying hes never played in that postion is actually making you look stupid and you looking for an argument,one game I can recall he palyed there for us was in the CL a few years back against Milan who couldn't touch him that night,that is why I know he is a CM apart from him saying it on numerous occasions himself ,why are you looking for an argument.?will someone please back me up on this :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

There might not be many more options soon, as our usual injury pattern is now setting in i.e. Wilshere out for months, Welwide's 2-3 weeker becoming a 6 monther, and now our other CDM injured so forced to shoehorn any tom, dick or harry in there.

Next up will be the customary 4-5 month injury for Walcott, which will mean Blowdry Boy as our only recognised forward and he can't possibly play every game

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Oxlade-Chamberlain believing that he is best at CM is a fact. Central midfield being his best position or where he should play is a matter of opinion.

Do you understand the difference or is the red mist causing you problems?

markyp

Post by markyp »

northbank123 wrote:Oxlade-Chamberlain believing that he is best at CM is a fact. Central midfield being his best position or where he should play is a matter of opinion.

Do you understand the difference or is the red mist causing you problems?
its amazing how the Anti Wenger brigade turn pro Wenger when it suits,so what we are saying is the ox is a winger,as is Walnutt,as is Ozil,as is Ramsey,as is Cazorla, as was Arshavin because Arsene plays them there so therefore they are wingers,just forget where they played prior to joining Arsenal.seriously I thought this place was anti Wenker,the discussions of square pegs in round holes rages on yet today its a Wenger love in,never let the facts get in the way of a good argument though.whats it got to do with Wenker?you are agreeing with where he plays everybody,im telling you where Ox was playing,wants to play and sees his future playing

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Are you thinking at all before you post??

Labelling somebody pro-Wenger for challenging your view is petulant beyond belief. I've said in an earlier post today that he has got things wrong with Ramsey, Ozil and Cazorla playing out there so that bit of your post is nonsense. Nowhere in any of my posts have I denied that Wenger has a serious issue with playing players out of position, in fact I acknowledge it.

What you're basically saying is that if you are pro-Wenger you have to agree with any criticism of him. Grow up. I'd be surprised if you found another poster on this forum who thinks that I am lenient or wavering in my assessment of Wenger.