The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

Gunner Rob

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by Gunner Rob »

olgitgooner wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:47 pm
olgitgooner wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:29 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
Taking back control Brexit style :barscarf:
Since when did the Bank of England get it's guesswork right? :roll:
Prior to this they were guessing 10,000 job losses over a three year period. And before that they were guessing an immediate and severe recession following the Brexit vote. Load of old shit. There may well be job losses in the thousands. Tough. There will still be about a million jobs in the finance industry. London will remain the financial capital of the world. There may even be an overall increase in jobs due to a rise in non EU business. Nobody actually knows.

Earlier in this thread there was another laughable bit of guesswork in the shape of a Guardian editorial. How very surprising. Here is a meaningless opinion poll to offset the other meaningless opinion polls :) .....

http://www.westmonster.com/just-12-want ... on-brexit/

I firmly believe the UK will be far better off outside the EU. We may even be saving Europe from itself. Again.

Finally, Rob, your "stupid :censored: " remark. I don't care if it was aimed at me personally or (as you say) aimed at Brexiteers in general. :rubchin: The inference is that you are more intelligent than people who disagree with your opinion. Which, in my book, is a piss poor attitude.

It would be a boring old world if we all agreed with each other about everything. :blah: :box: :cussing: :?: :evil: :D
you are probably right it is a piss poor attitude but the trouble how else is the truth going to enter your thick heads.
yet again you come up with the "Nobody actually knows" bollocks.

the fact is that there are plenty of experts who actually do know and are being proved right, despite constant denials from Brexiters.
and meanwhile what has happened to your great leader, St Nigel ? Is he in hiding ?

oh and what happened to the eurozone? wasn't it expected to have collapsed by now?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 28891.html

wake up and stop embarrassing yourself. you are fighting a losing battle.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. :lol:

Leaving aside the continued rudeness toward us folk who have "thick heads", der...
I challenge you to give me one single example of one of your "experts who actually do know and are being proved right". Also, while your at it, let me know where I can buy shares in their time machines.

look up what Sir Ivan Rogers said last week. I am not going to go into detail here because as usual with an "expert" it will be quickly dismissed

I'd also like to know exactly who said the Eurozone was "expected to collapse by now"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... esult.html
there are dozens more like this of course.

Names and facts please Rob. If you can't back up what you are saying then you will never win your sorry arsed arguments.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm
Long time ago around referendum time , I voiced concerns about both the CAP and the fisheries policy but then again being from the countryside and coast as my title suggests, it has been of interest to both myself and the area that I live in which voted 60/40 to leave.
Primarily these reasons were uppermost in the vote as although we suffer from unemployment and low wages apart from areas like Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well.

The policies that you highlighted were the driving force behind that vote. As I argued with both Rob and Nutflush there is a lot more to this country than the London bubble and as much as we appreciate things might get a little harder for those in the capital in the short term , we however see our local economies improving as the farm land can be used to grow crops that we want to grow as opposed to the ones that Brussels allows and of course the unbelievable marine wastage of the fisheries policy will allow fish stocks to be managed properly intead of being hoovered up by factory ships which then throw the catch which exceeds the quota back into the sea to rot.
Don't worry about the London "bubble", that will do fine despite Brexit.
It's outside of London that I fear for the country. (although as I live in London and see some of the attitudes on here I increasingly can't be bothered about you!) A lot of the deprived areas of the UK receive considerable EU funding. Will they get this post Brexit - unlikely.

look at Cornwall
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 01311.html

Oh dear. classic example of the poor voting to get poorer.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Another vote here we come. Herd was right

http://news.sky.com/story/investigation ... n-11108406

Herd

Post by Herd »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:22 am
A11M11 wrote:
Long time ago around referendum time , I voiced concerns about both the CAP and the fisheries policy but then again being from the countryside and coast as my title suggests, it has been of interest to both myself and the area that I live in which voted 60/40 to leave.
Primarily these reasons were uppermost in the vote as although we suffer from unemployment and low wages apart from areas like Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well.

The policies that you highlighted were the driving force behind that vote. As I argued with both Rob and Nutflush there is a lot more to this country than the London bubble and as much as we appreciate things might get a little harder for those in the capital in the short term , we however see our local economies improving as the farm land can be used to grow crops that we want to grow as opposed to the ones that Brussels allows and of course the unbelievable marine wastage of the fisheries policy will allow fish stocks to be managed properly intead of being hoovered up by factory ships which then throw the catch which exceeds the quota back into the sea to rot.

And that's the reason why the vote shouldn't have been given to the people.
Rather than taking a holistic view of whether it was better for the whole country, you have isolated two industries that form less than 1% each respectively of the UK economy. Then in the next paragraph, you go on about the London bubble, so your vote was as much a dig at London as the EU really. You don't care that London as a micro-economy produces far more revenue in taxes than it takes out of the governments' coffers. That surplus money being spent across the country on public services. Hell, why do you even support a London football team if you have that attitude, every time you come into Islington you are surrounded by millions of remainers. Sounds like a fate worse than death based on what some people have said in this thread. :D :D

With regards to fishing, and I admit I had to do some research about this, it's not even clear cut that Brexit will have a positive effect on our fishing industry. Yes we will get our waters back, but according to this ft article we (the English fisherman) obtain a significant volume of our catch in Norwegian, French and Irish waters. That is to satisfy demand in the UK. I can just see all these countries offering us tariff-free access to their waters post brexit, not.

https://www.ft.com/content/84f51c84-5fe ... 2f7ee26895

Then you come out with a quote "we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well". Come on spit it out, tell me what you mean by "problems". All I can see here is a tad of veiled xenophobia.
An hey presto Nut flushes inner Hitler comes out . How dare the uneducated rabble think they can vote ,while we are at it lets take the vote away from blacks ,Asians,catholics,protestants,jews,muslims ,buddists ,hindus and druids,Irish scots n welsh and anyone north of St Albans ,people under 6 ft tall .
Hell that's better !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd - no one was capable of voting on Brexit - that's me, you, everyone in the country.

That much is obvious because WE STILL DO NOT KNOW what Brexit is actually going to mean!!

As I have said I DO NOT LIKE THE EU but the UK has to remain inside it if the country is going to retain any influence going forward.
The EU provides billions in funding for the UK and is our main trading partner. Why would anyone be stupid enough to think that it would be a good idea to give that up?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:That much is obvious because WE STILL DO NOT KNOW what Brexit is actually going to mean
So how do you know it going to be bad?

Herd

Post by Herd »

flash gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 am
Gunner Rob wrote:That much is obvious because WE STILL DO NOT KNOW what Brexit is actually going to mean

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

flash gunner wrote:
because if it was as straight forward as the leave campaign had said it was going to be things would be a lot clearer by now.
anyone who still thinks that the UK is going to walk away with a good deal....any deal....is deluded.

and if things are going to be worse than before then what is the point of Brexit, apart from to satisfy a few OAPs who are going to die off soon anyway!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:54 am
flash gunner wrote:
because if it was as straight forward as the leave campaign had said it was going to be things would be a lot clearer by now.
anyone who still thinks that the UK is going to walk away with a good deal....any deal....is deluded.

and if things are going to be worse than before then what is the point of Brexit, apart from to satisfy a few OAPs who are going to die off soon anyway!
oh stop it Rob youve just admitted youve no idea how it will work out :oops:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Herd wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:54 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Rather than taking a holistic view of whether it was better for the whole country, you have isolated two industries that form less than 1% each respectively of the UK economy. Then in the next paragraph, you go on about the London bubble, so your vote was as much a dig at London as the EU really. You don't care that London as a micro-economy produces far more revenue in taxes than it takes out of the governments' coffers. That surplus money being spent across the country on public services. Hell, why do you even support a London football team if you have that attitude, every time you come into Islington you are surrounded by millions of remainers. Sounds like a fate worse than death based on what some people have said in this thread. :D :D

With regards to fishing, and I admit I had to do some research about this, it's not even clear cut that Brexit will have a positive effect on our fishing industry. Yes we will get our waters back, but according to this ft article we (the English fisherman) obtain a significant volume of our catch in Norwegian, French and Irish waters. That is to satisfy demand in the UK. I can just see all these countries offering us tariff-free access to their waters post brexit, not.

Then you come out with a quote "we are not blessed with a migration problem but where we do unfortunately the problems that are reported elsewhere are beginning to manifest themselves here as well". Come on spit it out, tell me what you mean by "problems". All I can see here is a tad of veiled xenophobia.
An hey presto Nut flushes inner Hitler comes out . How dare the uneducated rabble think they can vote ,while we are at it lets take the vote away from blacks ,Asians,catholics,protestants,jews,muslims ,buddists ,hindus and druids,Irish scots n welsh and anyone north of St Albans ,people under 6 ft tall .
Hell that's better !
I assume by using the word Hitler you are suggesting that not giving the vote to the people is dictatorial? If so how utterly retarded.

Putting the EU aside, our constitution is built around making laws from Westminster. So in what way is a parliamentary vote over Brexit in any way dictating to the people who elect local MPs/government. We elect people who have more knowledge than the man in the street, so that these difficult considerations are given the attention they deserve. You cannot say that has been the case with the Referendum.

Today interest rates where put up 0.5%, why is that? I'll tell you why it's because inflation is now at a several year high all a consequence of our weaker pound. So not only are we paying more in the shops for our everyday staples, if we are not on fixed rate mortgages our housing costs are about to go up. This is all as a result of Brexit, and I reiterate why where the people allowed to vote on a subject they didn't know enough about to make an informed decision.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

:roll:

Here we go again let's blame it all on Brexit!...

So smart arse, why have wages not increased many moons before 23rd June 2016?
Interest rates going up was the worst kept secret, clever people like yourself "a mover and shaker" got yourself tied in to a fixed rate, those on variable were obviously a little backward or could afford it!
Now you tremble as those thieves in suits "The City Bankers" may lose their jobs, I say good, they should have been lined up and shot along with Fred the Shred and Co.....
10 years of ultra low interest have served well, and they could have hardly increased them after your thieving mates went begging to the Taxpayer!
BTW, you need to take a look at interest rates in the mid 80's 15.75% :shock:
But you did get tax relief of 25% through MIRAS.....

nut flush gooner

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm
:roll:

Here we go again let's blame it all on Brexit!...

So smart arse, why have wages not increased many moons before 23rd June 2016?
Interest rates going up was the worst kept secret, clever people like yourself "a mover and shaker" got yourself tied in to a fixed rate, those on variable were obviously a little backward or could afford it!
Now you tremble as those thieves in suits "The City Bankers" may lose their jobs, I say good, they should have been lined up and shot along with Fred the Shred and Co.....
10 years of ultra low interest have served well, and they could have hardly increased them after your thieving mates went begging to the Taxpayer!
BTW, you need to take a look at interest rates in the mid 80's 15.75% :shock:
But you did get tax relief of 25% through MIRAS.....
Wages have not increased for several years because of the after effects of the financial crisis. Remember the Tories limiting public sector pay rises to 1%. That certainly is one major factor. The difference between now and then is inflation was benign prior to the referendum. This year has seen inflation overtake wages and that is as a consequence of our weaker currency. A little economics lesson for you go an look up the definition of cost push inflation, then write it on your forehead and read it out in the mirror.

Interest rates would have risen eventually yes, but for sure under normal circumstances the trigger wouldn't have been leaving the EU. It would also be a gradual increase not a 0.5% hike. If this increase doesn't curb inflation, then there will be more rate rises all detailed as a risk before the referendum. What was it that brexiteers called it, ohh yes scaremongering.

LOL at city bankers losing their jobs are you really that deluded? The jobs aren't lost they are moved to another country. Quite a lot of bankers are internationally mobile anyway, at more senior levels they will simply go to where the work is done e.g. Frankfurt or Dublin. You call bankers thieves, on what grounds? Can you even tell me what caused the financial crash. Based on your comments so far, I doubt it. I don't mind banker bashing, but back it up with an understanding of what actually happened.

Regardless of the financial crash, 75% of our national debt was caused by Labours wreckless spending in the run up to the 2010 election. And it was Labour that sucked up to the bankers when they where contributing so much in tax to the countries coffers.

I am fully aware of interest rates in the 80s and 90s, but those where different times. The pound was pegged against other European currencies and the chancellor had to use interest rates to keep our currency within a certain pegged range. Of course that spectacularly failed in 1992 when we crashed out of the ERM. Interest rates haven't been at that level since.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 pm
Herd wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Hell that's better !
I assume by using the word Hitler you are suggesting that not giving the vote to the people is dictatorial? If so how utterly retarded.

Putting the EU aside, our constitution is built around making laws from Westminster. So in what way is a parliamentary vote over Brexit in any way dictating to the people who elect local MPs/government. We elect people who have more knowledge than the man in the street, so that these difficult considerations are given the attention they deserve. You cannot say that has been the case with the Referendum.

Today interest rates where put up 0.5%, why is that? I'll tell you why it's because inflation is now at a several year high all a consequence of our weaker pound. So not only are we paying more in the shops for our everyday staples, if we are not on fixed rate mortgages our housing costs are about to go up. This is all as a result of Brexit, and I reiterate why where the people allowed to vote on a subject they didn't know enough about to make an informed decision.
To be fair, I’m not too concerned about paying more for staples as I just nick them out of the stationary cupboard anyway :wink:

nut flush gooner

StuartL wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 pm
Herd wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:

Hell that's better !

To be fair, I’m not too concerned about paying more for staples as I just nick them out of the stationary cupboard anyway :wink:
:D :D

Come on only Scousers do that. :barscarf: :barscarf: