Joel Campbell

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonertom1995

Joel Campbell

Post by goonertom1995 »

So Joel Campbell will be spending this season on loan at Sporting Lisbon. Personally, I'm a big fan of his. I think it's another shocking decision. What is the point? He's 24 years old and had numerous loan spells in the past. Dreadful decision in my opinion. What's everyone else's views?

northbank123

Re: Joel Campbell

Post by northbank123 »

1) Will never be better than a rotation option at a top team in my opinion

2) Far more deserving of a place here than either Walcott or Chamberlain based on last few years

3) Idiotic to loan him out yet again - he's either good enough to be an Arsenal player now or he's never going to be

Hopefully we will get to see Gnabry play a bit this season - or maybe best to keep him out of harm's way for another season rather than let Wenger put ruin to his career.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Agreed northbank, why a loan??

Surely we wont learn anything more about him by loaning him to portugal; a premier league club perhaps but even then im not convinced.

He will be a year closer to his contract being up so if he's not good enough for wenger, why not cash in.... and feed our poor 600 employees for another week :|

Lost_Gooner

Post by Lost_Gooner »

This is rather annoying to say the least, I'm a fan of Joel and in my opinion he deserves more of a chance.
He seemed to give a lot more than some of the other players around him last season.

A very strange decision in my opinion :(

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I was convinced that he'd never make a footballer. His early appearances were dreadful, but he got better and better and started to look promising. He worked his nuts off, could beat a man, was direct and looked to have a few goals in him. I can't understand, when we're so short that AW would loan him out.

I usually hate conspiracy theories but AW was booed when he took him off at the end of last season.???

armchair

Post by armchair »

northbank123 wrote:1) Will never be better than a rotation option at a top team in my opinion

2) Far more deserving of a place here than either Walcott or Chamberlain based on last few years

3) Idiotic to loan him out yet again - he's either good enough to be an Arsenal player now or he's never going to be

Hopefully we will get to see Gnabry play a bit this season - or maybe best to keep him out of harm's way for another season rather than let Wenger put ruin to his career.
Agree with all of this. Campbell is just ok imo. Showed more than Theo or Ox last season yes, but that wouldnt be hard to do and all of them are pretty meh for me.
If he wanted to free up space for Gnabry then should have sold him really.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

he's better than Walcott, Iwobi, and Ramsey, but The Fraud has some kind of weird fascination with Walcott and Ramsey. He is also on way less wages. I don't get it, but what do I know, I don't have to pay 600 employees and have not been in football for 30 years. :rubchin:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

GranadaJoe wrote:I was convinced that he'd never make a footballer. His early appearances were dreadful, but he got better and better and started to look promising. He worked his nuts off, could beat a man, was direct and looked to have a few goals in him. I can't understand, when we're so short that AW would loan him out.

I usually hate conspiracy theories but AW was booed when he took him off at the end of last season.???
Maybe but I remember Wenger being booed for taking off the Ox for fat-Arshavin against United a few years ago and The Ox is still here!

Anyway mate, can I suggest you don't try and get into Wenger's head... that's a rabbit hole you might not come back from :suicide: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Shame, he certainly wouldn't have been my choice as first member of 1st team squad to leave.
Doesnt William Carvalho play for Sporting Lisbon?
As someone mentioned earlier maybe a sweetener for one of their players.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

If I was JC , in. No uncertain terms I would tell Wenger to fuck off. It's not as if he still has to earn his stripes. He has performed well at both CL and World Cup level. Yet Wenger still puts his faith behind both the ox and Theo (was Theo playing on Saturday?), probably two of the most underachieving English players of recent years (you can add jack to that list).

From memory the game that JC was hauled off was against Swansea when he was our best player and the ground went mental with Wenger. If JC was given a chance he would definitely have a chance of being a regular starter, he is good enough.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TBH I thought he was absolute gash from the first time I saw him. But last season he seriously improved his game to almost PL average. Is he worse than Ramsey or Walcott? No. But I'm very "meh" about what happens to him. Same as I would be if we could finally off load Messi-Lite and Outrageous Fee-oh. :|

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

goonertom1995 wrote:So Joel Campbell will be spending this season on loan at Sporting Lisbon. Personally, I'm a big fan of his. I think it's another shocking decision. What is the point? He's 24 years old and had numerous loan spells in the past. Dreadful decision in my opinion. What's everyone else's views?
Especially as Walcott will still be in the squad. :banghead: :evil:

Sean

Post by Sean »

TOF's decision to loan him out is laughable, given the work-rate that Campbell can offer on the pitch and the inevitability that we'll pick up our standard fuck-ton of injuries by Christmas.

Although, like the Stoke Three, I do think he should get out while he can 8)

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Absolute disgrace and a disgusting move from Wanker. Letting him go and keeping those two buffoons, Wankpott and Oxo Cube is further proof that the man is a selfish, ego-mad tyrant. It's amazing how Campbell has hardly played since the crowd gave Wanker a load of abuse for taking him off, isn't it? It's a pure power trip. Almost as if he's said: "Ha ha, you fucking peasants. Look what I'm doing and what can you actually do about it?" He always has to be the big man.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Newspaper reports in Portugal say after criticism from their supporters Arsenal tried to stop Campbell's medical and cancel the deal..Campbell himself was apparently happy for the loan to go ahead