Champions League Draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sean

Re: Champions League Draw

Post by Sean »

I'm sure we all remember TOF's GREAT SUCCESS in the Be All and End All :barscarf:

1998–99 Group
1999–2000 Group > UEFA Cup RU
2000–01 QF
2001–02 GS2
2002–03 GS2
2003–04 QF
2004–05 R16
2005–06 RU
2006–07 R16
2007–08 QF
2008–09 SF
2009–10 QF
2010–11 R16
2011–12 R16
2012–13 R16
2013–14 R16
2014–15 R16
2015–16 R16
2016-17 [R16]

Ad infinitum...

:suicide:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Redarmy wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
greengooner wrote:
gp543 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Arsenal top of the group that PSG is in, you sure !!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Edit, please tell me you are not from Baltimore, Maryland United States of America. I have heard enough delusion from Yank Gooner's this summer to last me a lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Z4TV1FHMU

So why did you start supporting Arsenal, well err I read fever pitch......... fuck off !!!
Said we had a chance, not that it's a guarantee.

I currently live in Baltimore and was born in Boston, Massachusetts. I started supporting Arsenal because my maths teacher in school was a gooner and also our football coach. We had training called off one day because there was too much rain and the pitch would be destroyed. So he took the team inside to watch the one champions league match that american television showed per matchday. That day was March 28 2006 (Who'd we play, big man? No cheating now). From there, I was hooked. I've followed Arsenal all over England and Europe so please don't get precious about "deluded yank gooners". It's extremely boring.
Juve, and I didn't need to google it

Hahahah. Hilarious, do the levels of plasticness of our overseas fans have no bounds. Your asking me who we where playing seriously when you was on the wrong side of the pond and I was in the clock end watching Henry skin PV, and probably the most famous Bobby Pires tackle of all time when he slid in versus Paddy and took the ball clean away, starting a counter attack. This is why our club has been ruined, it has been infiltrated by people that don't know what it means to be a gooner. It's a trophy tag.

So you are seriously telling me that on a run to the CL final that you caught the bug fuck me. If you said something like when Johnny Jensen scored his first goal for Arsenal I could identify with that or Paul Davis broke Glenn Cockerills jaw, but your reply just sums up how much our American cousins know fuck all about football. Replace that Juve game with our appalling effort versus Dynamo Zagreb last season and would you even blink an eyelid for our shower of a club, somehow I doubt it.

By the way, I am at pains to point out that Arsenal have loads of overseas connections in places like Ireland and Scandinavia through players that have worn the badge and been coveted by the fans. That coupled with a huge Irish population in north London many of whom are die hard gooners who know their football.

Going back to your original point whilst this isn't the toughest group PSG are a major force in CL football these days and Basel are no mugs either. Underestimate them at your peril.

If he supports the Arsenal fair enough....so what he is from the states, we can't all be Super fans....Good luck to you mate :D
We do have a vacancy in that department though since "not sure if he mentioned it, Islington resident" Highbury JD picked up his ball and walked home with it :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Ziegler1988 wrote:Changes starting 2018/19: http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... 98899.html
A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)
Goodbye pot 2 :lol:

On the bright side, 4th place becomes even more of a trophy now that you don't have to go through the playoff
Even on the rare occasion when we won our group, we allowed Dads Army Milan to give us the mother of all humpings before claiming our moral second leg victory

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Lol how did this turn into questioning someone's fandom? If you supported the Chicago Bears from London or fucking Moscow, who cares? As long as you actually know the game and the team then you shouldn't be questioned.

Back to the CL... oh wait, who gives a shit? lol :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote: As long as you actually know the game and the team then you shouldn't be questioned.
I don't agree with such a blanket statement, because the natural conclusion is that everyone supports the big clubs and fuck everyone else.

As for the CL draw, :yawn:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

arseofacrow wrote:
Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote: As long as you actually know the game and the team then you shouldn't be questioned.
I don't agree with such a blanket statement, because the natural conclusion is that everyone supports the big clubs and fuck everyone else.

Yeah, but I mean, as someone living outside of England...you really wouldn't expect them to be Hull City supporters would you? Plus, for those of us in the States, Prem League games up until about 4 or 5 years ago were not easy to have access to watch. When I started watching circa 2005 you could only watch a game if you found some dodgy stream. ESPN or Fox would play like 1 game a week, and they were typically only Cup games like the FA Cup or Champions League. There was ZERO coverage on TV as far as highlights on Sportscenter or any talk shows. So you had to be REALLY dedicated to get into watching the sport or a single team.

Nowdays, NBC will broadcast or stream in HD for every single Prem League game, which I am so grateful for. But the point is, an American who enjoyed the game and wanted to follow it was never going to support a relegation fodder team like Hull.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:

Yeah, but I mean, as someone living outside of England...you really wouldn't expect them to be Hull City supporters would you? Plus, for those of us in the States, Prem League games up until about 4 or 5 years ago were not easy to have access to watch. When I started watching circa 2005 you could only watch a game if you found some dodgy stream. ESPN or Fox would play like 1 game a week, and they were typically only Cup games like the FA Cup or Champions League. There was ZERO coverage on TV as far as highlights on Sportscenter or any talk shows. So you had to be REALLY dedicated to get into watching the sport or a single team.

Nowdays, NBC will broadcast or stream in HD for every single Prem League game, which I am so grateful for. But the point is, an American who enjoyed the game and wanted to follow it was never going to support a relegation fodder team like Hull.
And that my friend is just about as plastic a fan can get. We rip the shit out of cockney reds, so why should you expect a wide berth when you just come out with possibly the most retarded excuse for supporting Arsenal.

So if we where relegation fodder you wouldn't give a shit about us? That isn't what being a gooner is all about. There are loads of us that used to go back in the day when the football was shit, the stadiums where crumbling and people died following their team. Clearly this sort of environment wouldn't appeal to you but you really need to think about what you say when you try to explain why you are gooner. All this super fan bollocks pisses me off too, I personally would call a gooner who used to go back in the day home and away but might not be in a position to afford tickets these days, more hardcore than any plastic that jumps on the Internet professing their undying love for Arsenal.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Finish second, play Real Madrid this time. Lose 6-1 on aggregate. Who fucking cares?
You think we'll score? :D

Barry Bastard

Post by Barry Bastard »

Midz wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:Finish second, play Real Madrid this time. Lose 6-1 on aggregate. Who fucking cares?
We finish second so play the group winner at home, lose 6-0 then win 1-0 away. Wenker would be proud of that away win.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Barry Bastard wrote:
Midz wrote:
We finish second so play the group winner at home, lose 6-0 then win 1-0 away. Wenker would be proud of that away win.
"This will be a turning point for us."
"Europe will be scared of us."
:roll:

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

nut flush gooner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:

And that my friend is just about as plastic a fan can get. We rip the shit out of cockney reds, so why should you expect a wide berth when you just come out with possibly the most retarded excuse for supporting Arsenal.

So if we where relegation fodder you wouldn't give a shit about us? That isn't what being a gooner is all about. There are loads of us that used to go back in the day when the football was shit, the stadiums where crumbling and people died following their team. Clearly this sort of environment wouldn't appeal to you but you really need to think about what you say when you try to explain why you are gooner. All this super fan bollocks pisses me off too, I personally would call a gooner who used to go back in the day home and away but might not be in a position to afford tickets these days, more hardcore than any plastic that jumps on the Internet professing their undying love for Arsenal.
Dude would you fucking relax with your "i'm better than you bullshit" everyone is sick of it. They didn't show fucking Hull City or Stoke games, so how would someone possibly become a fan of them? They showed Arsenal, Man United, Real Madrid, etc.

Plastic you say? I have NEVER seen this team win anything outside of the fucking FA Cup yet I make time to watch every single game, regardles, for 11 years. I am currently in Guatemala City and still made time the last 2 weeks to find somewhere to watch the games despite not being able to on the TV and having work etc. Question fandom all you want, but at least I'm not a douche bag.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

Superfan death match, break it up you two
:moderator: awooogah a..fuckin..woogah

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:

Dude would you fucking relax with your "i'm better than you bullshit" everyone is sick of it. They didn't show fucking Hull City or Stoke games, so how would someone possibly become a fan of them? They showed Arsenal, Man United, Real Madrid, etc.

Plastic you say? I have NEVER seen this team win anything outside of the fucking FA Cup yet I make time to watch every single game, regardles, for 11 years. I am currently in Guatemala City and still made time the last 2 weeks to find somewhere to watch the games despite not being able to on the TV and having work etc. Question fandom all you want, but at least I'm not a douche bag.
Douche bag, love it. Even bring the Americanisms onto the forum. If you can read English (and I know the Americans have their own retarded version) and understand half of what I was saying, then you wouldn't get so fucking paranoid about all this superfan bull shit.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Go Yankie_Gooner_Dandee :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Decent Arsenal supporter in my opinion

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Nooowhaaaay! It'll be an own goal when the RM keeper throws the ball in the back of the net when he feels sorry for us.