FA CUP V SOTON

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: FA CUP V SOTON

Post by Clash »

So that proves we're much better than southamptons reserves :barscarf:

Other than that it was utterly meaningless and I got no satisfaction from that game. If teams are gonna make 9 or 10 changes then everyone paying or watching is getting shortchanged !

How can anyone take these games seriously when the clubs don't? Are fans really meant to get behind their teams when the best players, the ones giving the best possible chance of winning, are not even out there?

Saying this after winning 5-0 away in the FA Cup means it's not sour grapes after a loss. I think I am finished with football.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

GoonerMuzz wrote:I reckon Steve had 'comms' problems with the Manager, probably turned it off :wink:
Nah zee Slim Controller in zee stand would only allow Neil Banfield the possession of the ear piece, honestly Wenger is the ultimate control freak.... :box:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Clash wrote:So that proves we're much better than southamptons reserves :barscarf:

Other than that it was utterly meaningless and I got no satisfaction from that game. If teams are gonna make 9 or 10 changes then everyone paying or watching is getting shortchanged !

How can anyone take these games seriously when the clubs don't? Are fans really meant to get behind their teams when the best players, the ones giving the best possible chance of winning, are not even out there?

Saying this after winning 5-0 away in the FA Cup means it's not sour grapes after a loss. I think I am finished with football.
I felt embarrassed, proves nothing in smashing kids, not one of Puels master strokes in management, he has just crushed a few young players confidence going forward...

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

xisstential wrote:Is there a shitter luckier forward in the PL than Walcott??......he always makes a :censored: hash of intricate moves or setting others up but others always lay goals on a plate for him.....his name goes on the score sheet and it looks like he's the man. He carries himself like he's the absolute dogs bollocks as well.
Bit harsh! You dont like him much..do you :D

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:So that proves we're much better than southamptons reserves :barscarf:

As far as I am concerned, both managers can come out with bullshit about injuries/little niggles, but when both make 10 changes for tonight's game, there should be consequences for them imo :x Yes it's great to win and especially for the fans that travelled a long distance to support the team, but those fans are paying full ticket prices for what is effectively a reserve match.
Premier league managers and clubs have destroyed a great cup competition and I for one am not happy about it :evil:

Midz

Post by Midz »

First I have to apologise for saying that our selection looked like shite. I was wrong.

The team tonight played a great game even though Southampton made 10 changes, they still performed very well.

I said before that anyone that doesn't play a full team deserves all they get and Soton got what they deserved tonight.

Ox had a really good game and showed some excellent passing abilities.
Gibbs would be a better player if he could use his right foot.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

augie wrote:

As far as I am concerned, both managers can come out with bullshit about injuries/little niggles, but when both make 10 changes for tonight's game, there should be consequences for them imo :x Yes it's great to win and especially for the fans that travelled a long distance to support the team, but those fans are paying full ticket prices for what is effectively a reserve match.
Premier league managers and clubs have destroyed a great cup competition and I for one am not happy about it :evil:

Southampton will now play a full team available against Swansea in the week.Southampton are comfortable mid table :roll:

Think the away fans it was £15 to get in so at least they had a good night out.

The cup became devalued the year Utd pulled out to play in the so called 'world club championship' the FA wanted it as well so you can't even put it all on Utd........the FA thought it would help England get to stage the 2006 World Cup c*nts one and all :cussing:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

some good performances, but The Saints kids gave us a lot of space in the first half, and they paid the price, but that said you can only beat what is in front of you.......

Welbeck looks strong with good movement, took his goals well, Perez great touches, OX looked good but had time to pick out passes which he did well, an improvement on Ramsey

As said Wenger adds nothing from the bench, in fact think his frustration transmits to the team, so in that way has a negative affect

Stevie Boulds Red and white army :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Was massively pissed off when I got to the ground and saw our team. Until I saw theirs and didn't recognise a single player other than Shane Long.

They really were abysmal. Hats off to our players because we beat them comprehensively and there were some very tidy performances in there. Nice to see Welbeck looking sharp and Reine-Adelaide showed some great touches on the ball. Perez is a clever little player but sadly just doesn't have the pace to be a really good player at this level.

Oxlade-Chamberlain picked out a few great balls (notably for the second goal) but gave it away needlessly time and time again with careless passing.

Only Walcott could be so utterly peripheral and bag a hat-trick!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: - Nil!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Also how refreshing that we didn't have Central midfielders constantly putting their foot on the ball, being ponderous and looking to turn back.

We also look better with a striker with pace and who wants to stretch defences. We played with more tempo and purpose today than we have in a long time.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

wilko49er wrote:
xisstential wrote:Is there a shitter luckier forward in the PL than Walcott??......he always makes a :censored: hash of intricate moves or setting others up but others always lay goals on a plate for him.....his name goes on the score sheet and it looks like he's the man. He carries himself like he's the absolute dogs bollocks as well.
Bit harsh! You dont like him much..do you :D
Neither do I. Jammy prick would never play against a weaker defence if he plays for another 20 odd years. They almost made him look good, & he still managed to fuck up a number of times. They were crap. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Sean

Post by Sean »

That was a relief! The season could have been effectively over today :barscarf:

I had little hopes of going through on seeing our line-up, but fortunately Southampton went with an ever weaker team. It's shambolic to see the domestic cups being disrespected like this. I seen the first ten minutes before falling asleep after about 32 hours awake.

Great goals from Welbeck! Wonderful finishes. I'd like to see him get more game time. Another hat-trick for Walcott, even if it was a flat-track-bully one. It was so nice to see forward passes and then leading to goals.

The Old Fraud made his usual 'contribution'; a touchline ban doesn't affect him, as everything is pre-arranged anyway. Amusing to see him complaining to Primorac in the stands, just as he does to Bouldy on the bench. We really needed a stadium ban for any slight hope of seeing anything different from the usual. Preferably a ban for about three and a bit years so as to negate the inevitable extension! :lol: :(

The draw for the next round is on Monday night. Hope we get a beatable opponent. I just hope this next game isn't thrown for the unwinnable Be All and End All, but we all know the likely answer to that. For me and a few here, the FA Cup is the only interesting and winnable competition we are in right now. I want to win the fucker! We have no illusions about overhauling Chelsea's eight point lead in the league. Just six points separate us and Manure in 6th. It'll be a long battle to secure the glorious VT and see a repeat of the magical celebrations of Hawthorns 2012 and St James' Park 2013 8)

REB

Post by REB »

we win 5-0 away from home and people still moan :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Couldn't give a shit if it was Saints under 10s or ladies team - we're still in the cup we can win and pissed all over them

Actually nice to see some fresh blood in midfield and zipping it around with a bit of pace - no Twirly or the Swiss moron there to slow things down to a snail's pace or give it away every 2 minutes

An away draw at somewhere where we'll get another easy ride and a shed load of tickets........Blackburn?