Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Wenger Out protest, Tuesday 7th March.

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:Not being funny like but there wont be many at the game ,and a 6 pm the place will resemble a ghost town barring 3,000 Bavarian Beer monsters who will be at the Drayton singing Horst Wessel.

Having a protest in front of Johnny foreigner is very bad form in my book , but having a protest to what will likely be the smallest crowd of the season is also a tad pointless !
I agree there will be fewer "Arsenal" supporters than usual but the place will be packed I imagine. This match is the ultimate for the Arsenal "tourist" supporter. They will all come to see Bayern Munich :oops:

Trouble is the "tourist" supporter won't want to join in with any protest...
Anyway hope this builds a bit of momentum and then maybe there will be bigger protests as the season continues.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

They belittled the last march and concentrated purely on the handful that made it to the Bear roundabout totally ignoring the long procession in Avenell Road. Banners in the ground ain't going to happen they are too concentrated in their area but " The Famous white hankies ""of Real Madrid just might.

mzk90

Post by mzk90 »

My mates and I and a good few others that I know, who would all take part, have binned off our tix for Bayern game, so may be hard to get bods to turn out. Maybe the Lincoln game would be a better choice for any demo, especially as it should be cat c and affordable enough to demo outside and leave seat empty inside.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

See this is the problem, debating the merit of doing it on a certain day will only delay things further and before you know it we'll be back to square one. Just get it done FFS. Spread the word. Any Wenger out supporters still going will join in, if it was a normal week for me in London I'd drop by even though I have no intention of setting foot inside the Bowl until he is gone and I'm sure there are loads of people like me who have turned their back on the club but would turn out to fight the good fight outside the ground.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

mzk90 wrote:My mates and I and a good few others that I know, who would all take part, have binned off our tix for Bayern game, so may be hard to get bods to turn out. Maybe the Lincoln game would be a better choice for any demo, especially as it should be cat c and affordable enough to demo outside and leave seat empty inside.
I'm not going to the Bayern game. Surely if you're that bothered about what you're protesting you'd turn up irrespective? Just watch the game in a pub on Holloway Road.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I take your point mate but we've all be guilty of moaning on here for ages whilst doing nothing else.
Surely we've got to try haven't we ??
Yes I fully understand fella !
Many years ago I was on here saying of u feel that strongly get out there and protest rather than moan on here .
I laud your passion mines gone and I have to declare that I dont like disharmony on washing out dirty linen in public but thats me!
I guess I have no spine ,but I dont want to see him hounded out,for all the bad I want him to be able to leave with dignity but I realise this is the road he has forced people down.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Forget planning for just the Bayern game, organise for every home match, not everyone is able to attend every match but those who are regulars should organise a protest for every game, that way those who aren't regulars can get in on the act when they are able to attend.

One protest at one game is never going to be enough this needs to be a sustained protest over the rest of the season for it to count, Rome wasn't built in a day, although according to some our very own Romulus managed to erect the emirates solo over night :barscarf:

I completely understand where Herd is coming from, airing your dirty laundry in public is not nice and should be avoided wherever possible but unfortunately knowing the man as we do i think it has gotten past the situation where our fans can afford to be demure in their wish for his removal only sustained protesting in public has even a remote chance of removing him.

Going back to the original point, the first protest may be small, but as pointed out above some people will always be scared to put their heads above the parapet but if you do it week after week, game after game more and more people will be encouraged to join in, 'Herd' mentality and all that :wink:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Herd wrote:
I take your point mate but we've all be guilty of moaning on here for ages whilst doing nothing else.
Surely we've got to try haven't we ??
Yes I fully understand fella !
Many years ago I was on here saying of u feel that strongly get out there and protest rather than moan on here .
I laud your passion mines gone and I have to declare that I dont like disharmony on washing out dirty linen in public but thats me!
I guess I have no spine ,but I dont want to see him hounded out,for all the bad I want him to be able to leave with dignity but I realise this is the road he has forced people down.
My passion for the Club has gone as well mate and that is mostly due to Wenger and Kroenke.

I stopped going in 2010 after more than 30 years but I can never forget the great times I had. I'm sure we were on the same terraces hundreds of times.

The reason I'm doing this is because I've started taking my son to matches as he's Arsenal mad. I don't want him to grow up not knowing how much fun watching Arsenal can be. We used to need earplugs on the old North Bank - now we need a pillow and a sleeping bag!!

I've waited since 5 May 2009 to do this and I'd never forgive myself if I sat back and did nothing. I might achieve nothing but I've got to try!

bunch

Post by bunch »

I recommend that the protest is addressed to Wenger himself. From what I can gather as a mere season ticket holder, the weakness of the board and the distance of the owner mean that the person with the biggest say over the future of Wenger is the man himself. So the tone needs to be respectful but make it clear that we see what I think he is now realising that he will never lead the club to another league title or Eurpoean success. So less "Wenger Out", more "Time for change".

Statements like:

Thanks for 1998, 2002 and 2004 but what about 2008, 2011, 2016, 2017? These are the gut wrenching collapse years.

Champions League: 19 qualifications, 1 final, 1 semi final, no trophies and seven straight round of 16 eliminations

Our win, draw, loss record against the top teams over the last 10 years in the PL(Man U, City, Chelsea - the multi title winners) to show how we are not competing.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Agree that the Bayern game is the best one to start with (any protests after that are also welcome :barscarf:) waiting until the Lincoln game will dilute the message I think as most of the media attention will be on the plucky Lincoln cup story!

Good luck to all who can make it :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

What anyone and Everyone who intends to Protest needs to be Fully Aware of is that This Site is Monitored by the Club "FACT". Which is what the majority on here already know and expect. However, If We are going to Successfully Organise Protests against Wenger, Wiggy, The Club - I would Strongly Suggest that ALL The Details be kept Off Of The Public Domain and Done by PM or by a Temp Site - They are very easy to set up and can only be accessed by Password (The Password can be changed every day and the new password 'shared' via Texting).

I know that all sounds a tad Secret Squirrel(ish) but the reason the nazi stewards were able to be waiting at the Man City game last season was because of what was discussed publicly on the various Gooner Forums, Twitter, facebook etc.

It would also be good to pretend to arrange a protest or gathering as a means of dis-information - Whilst keeping the 'Real' (and hopefully well attended) Protests out of the Public Eye Until they are actually happening.

Protests and Banner Demo's can be done every week or game...But it would be good to build up to one or two where there were a few hundred Gooners all with Banners and giving it Large - Megaphone/s etc.

I don't live in London and so my ability to attend mid-week protests is greatly limited....(Mon to Fri 8:30am to 6pm etc) I would very much like to be part of the Protests, and I am certain there are other non-London dwellers who if they knew there was going to be a "Biggie" - Then they, like me would be willing to make sure they attend it and so show a real presence of opinion - that being "WENGER OUT".

We also have to be aware that Arsenal FC (The Business) are going to do all they can to spoil any anti-wenger/wiggy/board sentiment, especially using the media and social media in any way they can....so do NOT help them by being lazy or foolish.

Within the next few hours this post will have been read & noted by those who are screening the forum for any such anti-wenger/wiggy/board comments...We also do not want to give anyone an excuse to close down Gooner2Gooner. Or the club to have any kind of reason to Ban people from the ground or away games (which is entirely possible)

So keep it tight and and keep it real. :barscarf:

#WENGER OUT! 8)

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Some interesting points on this thread already. We will all have different ideas about the optimum strategy for action. What is encouraging is that most people seem to be engaging with the principle and are trying to make what is being planned as effective as possible.

My own take on some of the key points that have been raised so far. There is never going to be a 'perfect' match to protest. Not everyone who wants to be there will be able to; there will usually be some sort of diluting factor such as boozed-up Germans, plucky underdogs or (the hardest to counter) a meaningful match against top-four rivals where we could (as Herd suggests) be criticised for 'airing dirty linen' instead of closing ranks.
My own feeling is that for this to stand a chance of succeeding it has to be relentless, starting with Bayern and continuing for every single home game until the end of the season. If you can't get to one, hopefully others will be there to take your place. If we're playing Man City or United, throw in plenty of "We love you Arsenals" alongside the Wenger Out message to make sure we carry as many waverers and day-trippers with us as possible.

The other interesting issue which has been raised is the club's capacity to monitor what is being planned, and whether we should attempt to take the plans to a less public place. My own feeling here is that insofar as what we're planning to do is outside the ground it is in our interest to be as transparent as possible about what we're doing, because we need to reach out to as many like-minded Gooners as possible including (or perhaps especially) those that no longer go to the matches because they've become disillusioned. We need the oxygen of publicity to do this, which means using the various social media and going as viral as possibe. If we get pre-match publicity from the likes of The Standard or Sky, all the better. There is little the club can do about peaceful protest outside the ground, however much detail they know. Only if and when the strategy involves taking action inside the stadium do I think greater care is needed when circulating ideas and reporting back on what is being taken forward (banners etc) .

It's been a good start: while there are different ideas about what will work and when it will work, I am pleased to see less cold water being poured on whether it will work. We can't guarantee it, but if we care enough we will give it our very best shot.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Sounds like an excellent idea. Needs to be solely focused on Wenger and not watered down moaning about Kroenke or any other issues like ticket prices.

Don't think you will ever get media support for a 'protest' but if we have a poor result at Anfield there will be a lot of interest in covering it and prolonging the debate - especially if we put in a limp-dicked performance on the night.

Shame that Black Scarf Movement claim to represent the fans but decided a long time ago not to have a view on by far the biggest issue facing the club

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Come on Lads - all we've got to do is turn up and make some noise. Something that we've all been doing for years.

What we're trying to do isnt difficult at all and it's something that we've all wanted for years. It'll only take a couple of hundred of us to get nationwide and possibly world wide coverage. Let's use the modern media to our advantage for once. But - we're in danger of defeating ourselves if there's too much doubt amongst us.

The Club cannot stop us walking together from Highbury to the new stadium and it's totally up to us how much noise we make on the way.

If we keep putting it off it'll never happen.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Go for it. Mobilise the troops. Do what you can. Alert the press at the last minute which won't allow the club to have time to counteract it, play PR games or downplay it through their media luvvies. Don't fuck about with any of that Kroenke shit or au revoir stuff. Make it simple.
Wenger out. No new contract.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.