The January "He Looks Quite Good" Transfer Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: The Fake News Summer Transfer Thread

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I'm all for optimism and positivity but why does anybody think that this season will be any different from the last 12 ??????

NickF

Post by NickF »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:02 pm
I'm all for optimism and positivity but why does anybody think that this season will be any different from the last 12 ??????
because it's a new season. :roll: :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 pm
I'm sure Kolasinac will improve us slightly as will Lacazette but we need more quality options in midfield and we could do with offloading Gabriel and replacing him with a better CB, he still can't speak a word of English by all accounts.

We have Coquelin, Elneny, Wilshere and Cazorla ffs and not one of them is good enough in terms of ability or fitness, that's probably £250-300K a week in wages which is effectively what we are paying Elneny as our 3rd choice CM,
good job Arsene you sure know how to waste money well for someone with a degree in economics.

So much to do, so little time to do it - supermarket sweep time on 31st August..
That's a very good point. Six or seven years ago, we were being told that we couldn't sign new players whilst we had leaches like Denilson, Diaby, Squilacci, Almunia, Park and Silvestre on the wage bill doing fuck all. Now we've got the likes of Wilshere, Debuchy, Cazorla, Gibbs and Mertesacker doing exactly the same thing. What a fucking genius Wanker is eh? It's almost like he manufactures these situations himself. Keep a load of permanently injured players on the books as a on excuse for abject failure in the transfer market. Why in God's name is this complete *word censored* tolerated? The money this *word censored* has wasted on utter shit over the years is fucking criminal.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It Won't Be mate - As Long as TOF is in charge it will be yet another GROUNDHOG Season. Anyone who thinks any different is as deluded as TOF.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 pm

It Won't Be mate - As Long as TOF is in charge it will be yet another GROUNDHOG Season. Anyone who thinks any different is as deluded as TOF.
So true.

It kills me that so many people are salivating and thinking that we will mount a serious challenge for the Premier League title this season. The 10-2 has been forgotten; the farcical transfer windows forgotten; the perpetual league collapses also forgotten.

FFS - there is such an imbalance in our squad with so many crap players that come March / April it will be exactly the same mess as usual.

Midz

Post by Midz »

The transfer window in England closes at 11pm on Thursday, August 31.

So if any Arsenal business is to be done expect it to happen around 10pm on the same night.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Midz wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 pm
The transfer window in England closes at 11pm on Thursday, August 31.

So if any Arsenal business is to be done expect it to happen around 10pm on the same night.
Last minute loan deal for Salomon Kalou?.

:mrgreen: :banghead:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Indeed, especially as to everyone's great surprise :roll: , the "catalyst for change" shows no sign of incoming.

Why would you spend 10+ seasons being delusionally optimistic only to be disappointed, again, again, again, again.....?

I think I stopped at about the 4th time!.

New DoF, assistant manager, 3 or 4 good signings, then I'd be optimistic even with Wenger still hanging around, as it is what have we got?, 2 decent signings and nothing of note on the backroom side. Nothing new here.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:57 am
Adidas are coming back? :barscarf:

(According to the DM?)
And the Mirror, this was actually a story months ago I think but didn't get much coverage, it makes sense since our deal is now so poor compared to rivals, it will be hard to get good commercial deals though when the club shows f*ck all ambition and therefore never wins anything apart from domestic cups. :roll:
But wasn't the Emirates cup a European trophy? :wink: :lol: :lol:
In my humble opinion Adidas always made the classiest kits,but maybe that's because I'm an old bastard....I suppose the club don't care about who makes the shirt just as long as the congregation buy it and Adidas pay top dollar to supply a Europa League club,I mean Nike and Puma have made some crap in our supposed "colours" over the last few years and modern football is all about the money as we well know,winning trophies is secondary to Arsenal

Herd

Post by Herd »

He'll be getting his full wedge for at least 3 more years though, so thankfully, on the financial side he is going to be well taken care of by one of the many generous benefits packages that Wenger has introduced at the club.
From the metro !
In an interview with Cadena Ser, the 32-year-old revealed he has been operated on eight times after he suffered an infection during surgery.
Despite the severity of his various injuries, Arsenal took up the option to extend his contract for another year and Cazorla has thanked Arsene Wenger for his show of faith.
‘Since November I have had complications. There was bacteria in the operating room and I suffered an infection in a bone. The scar did not close and I had a skin graft.’
So we are paying him for this season at least ,he will be 33 then .
I love him but he might never play again we should be replacing him !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Santi is a huge loss to the creative side of our game but he is now past his best, is injury prone, and is not going to come back and miraculously lead us to a PL title at the age of 33 (or more likely 35 :shock: :roll: ). Sorry to see him go but surely the sensible thing would have been to let him go and redirect his wage to a - oh, hang on.... :roll: :|

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

So that's all clear cut yet again. Wenger stood on the Wembley pitch and said for the 272nd time that Sanchez will be an Arsenal player on 1 September

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

Herd wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 am
He'll be getting his full wedge for at least 3 more years though, so thankfully, on the financial side he is going to be well taken care of by one of the many generous benefits packages that Wenger has introduced at the club.
From the metro !
In an interview with Cadena Ser, the 32-year-old revealed he has been operated on eight times after he suffered an infection during surgery.
Despite the severity of his various injuries
, Arsenal took up the option to extend his contract for another year and Cazorla has thanked Arsene Wenger for his show of faith.
Since November I have had complications. There was bacteria in the operating room and I suffered an infection in a bone. The scar did not close and I had a skin graft.
So we are paying him for this season at least ,he will be 33 then .
I love him but he might never play again we should be replacing him !
Jesus christ, this sounds like something you'd read about a 60-year old retired boxer... and we've given him a new contract! Only at Arsenal :oops: :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Alexis to go at the 11th hour - prepare to see flash photography and the ole paparazzi diving out of the way as he zooms off in a Chaffinched Up Range Rover with his two woof woof's in the back wagging their tails and smiling....as he heads for a medical with Man $hitty whilst kissing the badge of some indistinct shirt.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

I bet Wenger sells Chambers but keeps Gabriel, I'm not saying Chambers is anywhere near the finished article but he has all the attributes and at least speaks f*cking English.