Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by herbert »

The comments about the only rivarly I can see is man u v liverpool are on the right thread
all of them games are massive for there fans
modern football bollox comments at its best :shock:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Extra time and pens without a replay in the FA Cup QFs now then is it? How has this been allowed ?

And why? Too many games for the poor babies is there ? Still managing to fit in some internationals though :roll: The FA Cup taking second place to international friendlies is a disgrace>

Why not just phase the cup out entirely from the men's game and let the women's teams play it ? That will serve two of modern footballs agendas :censored:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Clash wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm
Extra time and pens without a replay in the FA Cup QFs now then is it? How has this been allowed ?

And why? Too many games for the poor babies is there ? Still managing to fit in some internationals though :roll: The FA Cup taking second place to international friendlies is a disgrace>

Why not just phase the cup out entirely from the men's game and let the women's teams play it ? That will serve two of modern footballs agendas :censored:
The FA brought in the no replay because UEFA would not let them stage replays on Tuesday/Wednesday when their Champions League games are on (kerching). Neither Chelsea nor Leicester were in Europe and could easily have had a replay on 3/4 April. When Arsenal played Hull in a replay a couple of years ago it was an early kick off for this reason.

And going forward they will only have replays up uniting the 3rd round to accommodate a winter break in January; when doubtless clubs will play lucrative friendlies which will be the prelude to playing the premier league games somewhere warmer from New Years Day to Easter and staging the FA cup over three weeks when they get back.

Clash

Post by Clash »

arrgee wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:27 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm

The FA brought in the no replay because UEFA would not let them stage replays on Tuesday/Wednesday when their Champions League games are on (kerching). Neither Chelsea nor Leicester were in Europe and could easily have had a replay on 3/4 April. When Arsenal played Hull in a replay a couple of years ago it was an early kick off for this reason.

And going forward they will only have replays up uniting the 3rd round to accommodate a winter break in January; when doubtless clubs will play lucrative friendlies which will be the prelude to playing the premier league games somewhere warmer from New Years Day to Easter and staging the FA cup over three weeks when they get back.
Thanks mate, some good information there!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the scheduling is increasingly ridiculous, and what makes it worse is that the season is actually longer now than ever (Champions League final most seasons is in June now) but yet teams are actually playing less matches as a result of scrapping FA Cup replays.

why a mid season break is needed is beyond me - we already have international breaks in September, October and November (resulting in a crazy fixture crush in December) and March. We don't now play until 1st April but yet then have to play 5 matches in the first half of that month :roll:

Easter you used to have 2 PL matches - now it is reduced to just the one because of the Champions League Quarter Finals, which will never probably feature more than 2 PL teams. Madness.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm
the scheduling is increasingly ridiculous, and what makes it worse is that the season is actually longer now than ever (Champions League final most seasons is in June now) but yet teams are actually playing less matches as a result of scrapping FA Cup replays.

why a mid season break is needed is beyond me - we already have international breaks in September, October and November (resulting in a crazy fixture crush in December) and March. We don't now play until 1st April but yet then have to play 5 matches in the first half of that month :roll:

Easter you used to have 2 PL matches - now it is reduced to just the one because of the Champions League Quarter Finals, which will never probably feature more than 2 PL teams. Madness.
Euro bloat. The last 16 games in the Chumps League (along with last 32/16 in Ropey League) take place over four separate midweeks meaning no top level domestic games on those nights. The four more midweeks with the quarters and semis. So 8 midweeks gone. Then throw in the internationals taking out another 2 midweeks meaning zero scope for replays. Not beacuse the clubs can't accomodate the fixtures (this season the three clubs left in Europe are not in domestic cups) but so that UEFA and FIFA can fill their money pots to the brim by guaranteeing exclusivity on those nights.

Mid season break is just the forerunner to lucrative pay days in the middle and far east along with the warmer parts of the USA. In 10 years time, there will be no top level football played in England from January - February during the UEFA hiatus. Instead there will be a global tour of six rounds of Premier League games. Don't worry though cos Sky/BT/Amazon will all stream them to you.

I suspect I will be going to Orient a few more times in the future...

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

arrgee wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Euro bloat. The last 16 games in the Chumps League (along with last 32/16 in Ropey League) take place over four separate midweeks meaning no top level domestic games on those nights. The four more midweeks with the quarters and semis. So 8 midweeks gone. Then throw in the internationals taking out another 2 midweeks meaning zero scope for replays. Not beacuse the clubs can't accomodate the fixtures (this season the three clubs left in Europe are not in domestic cups) but so that UEFA and FIFA can fill their money pots to the brim by guaranteeing exclusivity on those nights.

Mid season break is just the forerunner to lucrative pay days in the middle and far east along with the warmer parts of the USA. In 10 years time, there will be no top level football played in England from January - February during the UEFA hiatus. Instead there will be a global tour of six rounds of Premier League games. Don't worry though cos Sky/BT/Amazon will all stream them to you.

I suspect I will be going to Orient a few more times in the future...
NFL games fill Wemberlee I think,so I suspect you are not a million miles from the truth there,I doubt it'll take 10 years to get it in place though,maybe sooner before the PL bubble bursts,Arsenal v Whoever live from Kuala Lumpur on Boxing Day,3 am KO,lovely :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

We used to have Peter Jones, Bryon Butler and Barry Davies.

Now we've got the appalling Vicki Sparks. Put your volume on mute.

:roll:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Don't worry it's coming , we used to be concerned about a European Super League but that is now surpassed.The premier league cannot be called English anymore and as things progress it will soon be totally international with games played in the far east and America . Sport will be sold wherever they can sell it, soon we will have baseball at West hams rented gaff and of course NFL football at the place up the road. it's only a matter of time before the top teams will play in Florida , Los Angeles , Bankok , Dubai wherever they can fill a stadium and sell the product.
our game that we grew up with has gone it has finally been eaten by it's own greed. Worldwide television rules the roost and our local teams will be no more than the Harlem Globetrotters were to basketball , travelling the world to make a buck wherever they could.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:49 pm
We used to have Peter Jones, Bryon Butler and Barry Davies.

Now we've got the appalling Vicki Sparks. Put your volume on mute.

:roll:
She must be able to suck start a 747 through 200 yards of garden hose. There is simply no other explanation. :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

matches involving Chelsea and Southampton have been scheduled for the Thursday BEFORE their FA Cup semi final.

that is disgusting and just goes to show that the PL continually tries to undermine the FA Cup.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This thread should be retitled "Modern football is bollocks - that is all".

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

On a day off, turned on Sky Sports News to see if Wenger was gone yet . I'm a middle aged man and hope is all I can wake up with.
Anyway instead of the usual news service they have a "special " called Manchester City Champions Fair enough, no problem with that but the guest/ pundit/ expert on this programme is Danny Mills. What the fuck does he know about winning titles? Another ex pro with nothing to say but still saying it too loudly. Of them all he is the most annoying.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am
On a day off, turned on Sky Sports News to see if Wenger was gone yet . I'm a middle aged man and hope is all I can wake up with.
Anyway instead of the usual news service they have a "special " called Manchester City Champions Fair enough, no problem with that but the guest/ pundit/ expert on this programme is Danny Mills. What the fuck does he know about winning titles? Another ex pro with nothing to say but still saying it too loudly. Of them all he is the most annoying.

You look at "pundits" like him and danny higginbottom, and think "how the fcuk are they qualified to assess a game" ? Higgingbottom was a journeyman football that was bombed out of manure cos they recognised that he was nowhere near top level (and bear in mind that this is a club that kept john o'shea, wes brown etc :lol: ), and now sky have given him a platform to tell us all where clubs are going wrong and who is and isnt good enough :roll:
As for danny mills :roll: The man was a thug with very limited football ability :evil: How sky have deemed him qualified to give "expert analysis" is beyond me :shock: :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am

You look at "pundits" like him and danny higginbottom, and think "how the fcuk are they qualified to assess a game" ? Higgingbottom was a journeyman football that was bombed out of manure cos they recognised that he was nowhere near top level (and bear in mind that this is a club that kept john o'shea, wes brown etc :lol: ), and now sky have given him a platform to tell us all where clubs are going wrong and who is and isnt good enough :roll:
As for danny mills :roll: The man was a thug with very limited football ability :evil: How sky have deemed him qualified to give "expert analysis" is beyond me :shock: :shock:
A-fucking-men. They need to change the way they present these "pundits". Instead of "we are going over to Danny Mills for expert analysis" they could say "We are going over to Danny Mills for a bit of a chat about better players kicking a ball about". :D