The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Lack of Arsenal players going to World Cup.

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:57 am
Only problem is the 2 or 3 world class players we will sign this summer will have played and will be tired and probably be - oh, hang on..... :|
Only this morning I saw Messi and Ronaldo saying they cannot wait to join up with Arteta at Arsenal...............

Nah that didnt happen, :oops:
Ffs Robbo you had me going for a second there mate!
:fryingpan: :lol: :wink:

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

The only Arsenal player to be called up to the England team is a youth product of Man Utd's academy. I thought Wenger was the master of developing young talents. 22 years and 1 player for England to show for it (who he sold to our rivals for fuck all). Another Wenger myth exposed. We had a better Academy in the 70s & 80s.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Riotof91 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm
The only Arsenal player to be called up to the England team is a youth product of Man Utd's academy. I thought Wenger was the master of developing young talents. 22 years and 1 player for England to show for it (who he sold to our rivals for fuck all). Another Wenger myth exposed. We had a better Academy in the 70s & 80s.
Very good points raised there, where is all this talent that Wenker is so good at developing.
Why wasn’t Cohen Bramell called up ?
Is Beliek playing for Poland yet ?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:39 am
As it stands now only five of our players are going to Russia with all of them being squad fodder apart from Özil. The new manager has more or less the everyone available for the entirety of the preseason.
that pre-season still involves a trip to China to see the real fans though. :banghead:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Most of our players would struggle to get in a best of their own family XI, let alone a national squad. It's not surprising hardly any are going to the world cup. International football is shit anyway.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

StuartL wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:21 pm
Riotof91 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm
Very good points raised there, where is all this talent that Wenker is so good at developing.
Why wasn’t Cohen Bramell called up ?
Is Beliek playing for Poland yet ?
Iwobi is going with Nigeria aint he...........see Arsene knows :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

SydneyGooner wrote:
As it stands now only five of our players are going to Russia with all of them being squad fodder apart from Özil. The new manager has more or less the everyone available for the entirety of the preseason.
Ospina, Welbeck, Elneny, Xhaka, Iwobi and Özil makes six. Harsh on Xhaka to call him squad fodder being the only one to have played in every premier league game this season. Ok he is sh!te, but unfortunatley he isn't squad fodder.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Ernie71 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:05 pm
I can only see it as a good thing that a lot of our players aren't going to playing at the world cup. Most will get a good pre-season in under new coaching staff, hopefully they can start the new season fresh and ready for the new era.
That is bollocks.We havent got many players going to the world cup because we havent got many good players
Sadly that is the truth. We have a few who could be going (a couple cost us well over £30m) but just aren't in the top 23 players from their countries.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

arrgee wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:23 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Ospina, Welbeck, Elneny, Xhaka, Iwobi and Özil makes six. Harsh on Xhaka to call him squad fodder being the only one to have played in every premier league game this season. Ok he is sh!te, but unfortunatley he isn't squad fodder.
You're right unfortunately Xhaka starts for us. :cry:

I didn't realise Switzerland had already announced their final squad. So it is indeed six with Xhaka's inclusion. Could be seven or eight if Bellerin or Monreal get called up.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:26 am
I didn't realise Switzerland had already announced their final squad. So it is indeed six with Xhaka's inclusion. Could be seven or eight if Bellerin or Monreal get called up.
I'd be amazed if Monreal or Bellerin make the Spanish squad.

Add to that Mustafi, Chambers and Holding not being selected for Germany and England respectively.... Mertesacker not having a chance of getting in the German squad even if he wasn't retired.... Koscielny, whose achilles have turned him into a liability of a defender even if France did select him...

Wenger really has dropped the next manager in the shit with those defensive options :? Sven will really have to work some magic.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

this online whining by jack and Hart is shameful.

especially for jack - i saw the stats. compared to the other three he is the lowest in all of goals, assists and tackles. he's simply not good enough for them or us.

nut flush gooner

Lacazette out of French WC squad

Post by nut flush gooner »

Again Deschamps favours Giroud over Laca, I am not sure what they see in Giroud he won't win them the fucker for sure.

I feel sorry for Laca, Wenger nearly ruined his first season.

Re: Lacazette out of French WC squad

Post by 1989 »

He picked Giroud for the target man option.

Lacazette is unlucky not to be in but to be fair they've got an embarrassment of options in attack.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Griezeman is by far their best attacker.

The kind of top player we used to get - now we just put up with players of a lesser standard...

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

If France wanted to pick the most average squad possible, Lacazette would have been the first name inked in. Sadly, for him they wanted international standard players, not 6.4 out of ten players.