Bernd Leno

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Bernd Leno

Post by 1989 »

Midz

Re: Bernd Leno

Post by Midz »

Fucking excellent!! :barscarf: :barscarf:

Welcome Bernd and good luck for the future with AFC.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Hope he's the reliable top class keeper we're crying out for. :barscarf:

Never seen him play but it's a bit of a worry that he wasn't deemed good enough for the Germany squad.... then again, neither was Sane so who knows.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Never seen him play but it's a bit of a worry that he wasn't deemed good enough for the Germany squad.... then again, neither was Sane so who knows.
I suspect if he was good enough for the Germany squad, he wouldn't come to Arsenal. In saying that he's only 26, quite young for a goalkeeper and definitely can improve with the right coaching.

As I said last night, seems Chesney still has a huge howler in him every now and again, so we did the right thing in letting him go.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

He has to be an improvement on the past it Cech and the never had it Ospina. Either way it's just great to see a new manager at least trying to address our very obvious weaknesses in defence and nets rather than just ignoring them and accumulating attacking midfielders. Fingers crossed Leno is the answer.

richie powling

Post by richie powling »

didnt know too much about him but reading the german football experts they all seem to think we have a good one here and tbh anybody over cech and ospina would be an upgrade for the new season.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:33 am
g88ner wrote:

I suspect if he was good enough for the Germany squad, he wouldn't come to Arsenal. In saying that he's only 26, quite young for a goalkeeper and definitely can improve with the right coaching.

As I said last night, seems Chesney still has a huge howler in him every now and again, so we did the right thing in letting him go.
From what I've read the only reason he wasn't selected in their squad was because he doesn't get along with Ter Stegen and for the purposes of squad harmony they selected Kevin Trapp as the third choice even though Leno is the better keeper. Obviously neither of those three are good enough to replace Neuer who is probably still the best keeper in the world.

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
g88ner wrote:

From what I've read the only reason he wasn't selected in their squad was because he doesn't get along with Ter Stegen and for the purposes of squad harmony they selected Kevin Trapp as the third choice even though Leno is the better keeper. Obviously neither of those three are good enough to replace Neuer who is probably still the best keeper in the world.

De gea is number 1 imo, and I would probably have oblak as number 2

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

nut flush gooner wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Quite right me old nut cutlet!
What a fuck up it was!
To be fair the idiot referee could have had avoided that ridiculous situation by ensuring players that leave the field of play should only re enter the pitch at the half way line as the 4th official was not happy at letting him back on, but Chesney is still an over confident mug.... :lol:
This is perhaps one of the best World Cups for fuck ups, VAR, and the sheer idiocy and poor standard of referees!... :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:40 am
He has to be an improvement on the past it Cech and the never had it Ospina. Either way it's just great to see a new manager at least trying to address our very obvious weaknesses in defence and nets rather than just ignoring them and accumulating attacking midfielders. Fingers crossed Leno is the answer.
Absolutely right :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Buying any player is a gamble but what I like is that the new regime is attempting to address our deficiencies which lets face it haven't been addressed for years and that can only be good for the club !

markyp

Post by markyp »

don't know anything about him but lets hope he is an upgrade on cech and ospina,personally I think we should have moved for butland and im surprised nobody has yet

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Can I offer up “Geno” by Dexy’s as his song (obviously accompanied by playing a pretend trombone)

Ooooooooh Lenoo, Oooooooooooooh Leno, ba,ba,ba-ba,baaaa ba baaaahah.

:barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB is right - the fact that the new man has identified our obvious weaknesses and is trying to fix them makes me very hopeful. it was the not trying to fix shit that was slowly killing me.

interesting that we bought a German Keeper and then let a German Keeper Coach go. Dick didn't think Jens would project the right approach I reckon don't you ?

Post by 1989 »

markyp wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:53 am
don't know anything about him but lets hope he is an upgrade on cech and ospina,personally I think we should have moved for butland and im surprised nobody has yet
I would take a German international goalie with Champions League experience over an overhyped English goalie who got relegated with Stoke, to be fair.

He would have cost double the price of Leno as well.

Sven Mislintat knows.