Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

nut flush gooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by nut flush gooner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:26 pm
without a doubt the long-term Arsenal manager. Its undeniable now.
He's also confirming himself as a manager who has the right to be considered in the young elite class.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Some will still though. It won’t matter. It’s not about progress or the club for them they want to be miserable.

Even after last season you had silly people creating lists of questions saying saka and martinelli had regressed and Havertz was rubbish and we were worse. This won’t change next year.

However the records and evidence keeps coming….

Arsenal have kept five consecutive clean sheets away from home in the Premier League for the first time since April 1997 (5), while they’re the first side to do so in the competition since Man City in April 2022 (also a run of five).

Arsenal currently have a goal difference of +51 in the Premier League; their highest in the competition since the final day of the 2004/05 season (also +51).

nut flush gooner

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Some will still though. It won’t matter. It’s not about progress or the club for them they want to be miserable.

Even after last season you had silly people creating lists of questions saying saka and martinelli had regressed and Havertz was rubbish and we were worse. This won’t change next year.

However the records and evidence keeps coming….

Arsenal have kept five consecutive clean sheets away from home in the Premier League for the first time since April 1997 (5), while they’re the first side to do so in the competition since Man City in April 2022 (also a run of five).

Arsenal currently have a goal difference of +51 in the Premier League; their highest in the competition since the final day of the 2004/05 season (also +51).
Yeah its about time some people ate humble pie with Havertz, these are the same people who call Odegaard, Odeargod when he clearly is now one of the best AM's in Europe. Dare I even say RM are looking back with regret that they sold him so relatively cheaply.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:32 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
He's also confirming himself as a manager who has the right to be considered in the young elite class.
Yes he is doing a fantastic job but lads you need to calm down a bit.

He hasn't won anything with his team.....yet.

He has to win some silverware before people shout out for him to be our long-term manager.

nut flush gooner

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

He has to win some silverware before people shout out for him to be our long-term manager.
Calm down? Fuck me remember where we were five years ago, in the gutter going nowhere.

In any other era we would be winning the title with the last two squads we have had. Dare I say it this squad, would have been resilient enough to withstand Saliba getting injured last term and having cover for him.

Its ok to admit Arteta is taking us in the right direction, no one has a divine right to win trophies including us with a 20 year drought. When you keep improving like we have eventually you have to hit the jackpot, that might be after Klopp and Pep have left I don't care but lets get in a position to capitalise.

You know the best thing about our club now, after such a long time the fans have total identity with the team that is reflective of the mood in the terraces. It is total unconditional support, no moaning about misplaced passes etc. I have witnessed some of the best atmospheres at Arsenal in the last two years since my debut seasons in the mid 80s, standing on that famous terrace.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Calm down? Fuck me remember where we were five years ago, in the gutter going nowhere.

In any other era we would be winning the title with the last two squads we have had. Dare I say it this squad, would have been resilient enough to withstand Saliba getting injured last term and having cover for him.

Its ok to admit Arteta is taking us in the right direction, no one has a divine right to win trophies including us with a 20 year drought. When you keep improving like we have eventually you have to hit the jackpot, that might be after Klopp and Pep have left I don't care but lets get in a position to capitalise.

You know the best thing about our club now, after such a long time the fans have total identity with the team that is reflective of the mood in the terraces. It is total unconditional support, no moaning about misplaced passes etc. I have witnessed some of the best atmospheres at Arsenal in the last two years since my debut seasons in the mid 80s, standing on that famous terrace.
Football is about enjoying the highs, when you are doing well enjoy it as there will be certainly be lows - right now we are as high and as good as we have been for a decade or more, yet it coincides with City’s dominance and this season a resurgent scouse team.

We may not win it, but bloody hell don’t leave it till the end of season to decide whether or not you have enjoyed our games, our team working for each other, the dominance in some really tricky matches, being back among Europes elite teams.

If we don’t get over the line in 1st there is no argument that we will be up there again next season and the season after as this team is still getting better

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

This is the thing, you can keep saying judge him in may, silverware etc etc but he’s not going anywhere. No Arsenal manager within touching distance of the top of the table will ever get fired. Not happening. It would take several seasons of not being able to get us over the line or dropping to 6th or 7th. Basically it being widely evident he is incapable of bringing silverware. Not happening and the more you allow him to rebuild his squad the stronger we will get.

We have gone from having Kolasinac at left back leaking goals to Zinchenko a far better player as our third choice and now people are screaming about zinchenko till their lungs are sore despite being part of a defence that only let their opponent get 2 shots on target in a whole game. The standards have been drastically raised at Arsenal and it’s because of the manager. Would seem strange not to sit back and enjoy this moment after decades of pain.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

I already said that Arteta is doing a fantastic job.

You can't keep using the different era line. If that's the case then Wenger would have won five pl in in a row in any other era.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Football is about enjoying the highs, when you are doing well enjoy it as there will be certainly be lows - right now we are as high and as good as we have been for a decade or more, yet it coincides with City’s dominance and this season a resurgent scouse team.

We may not win it, but bloody hell don’t leave it till the end of season to decide whether or not you have enjoyed our games, our team working for each other, the dominance in some really tricky matches, being back among Europes elite teams.

If we don’t get over the line in 1st there is no argument that we will be up there again next season and the season after as this team is still getting better
I agree with you about enjoying the games. It's brilliantly stressful at the moment.

Do you think this squad will still be together IF the next two seasons end with no trophies?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:17 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:49 pm
Bayern are not much this season either.

Just because Leverkusen are so good , unbeaten in 27 games doesn't mean that Bayern are rubbish.

Again don't misrepresent. No one said rubbish. But there nit the superpower they were and are not in the best form.
Again ? They are second in the Bundesliga and we all know how often Kane has scored against us . You shouldn't tempt providence.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Bayern are playing Eric Dier in defence FFS, they are fucking desperate to be playing him. They are not a force to be reckoned with, without Kane they'd be 5th or 6th this seaon.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Do you think this squad will still be together IF the next two seasons end with no trophies?
That's a good point.
If we don't win anything in the next two seasons, I guarantee Saliba will be off and to be honest, Saka may well go too if Madrid come calling. The problem with having top top young players is that they want to win trophies. If we can't give them that then they will leave.
The good thing is, Klopp is going, Pep is off soon, Man Cheaty will hopefully have to face the charges next season and have to be punished heavily.
Arsenal are in a good position, particularly if we can sign a top striker in the summer and another CM. Hopefully Zubimendi.
Finally.....I also hope Arteta also ditches more dead wood........we have quite a bit still!!

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I agree with you about enjoying the games. It's brilliantly stressful at the moment.

I fully expect the squad to continue to evolve and get better
Rice’s signing was a sure fire indicator that players can see it, feel it and want to be part of it. he could have picked the easy option to go to City.

Nketeh, Nelson, Tierney, Partey maybe ESR and Ramsdale too will be sold and we will bring in better players, probably that are flexible and play in a couple of different positions as that is what Arteta desires.

If we haven’t won any more silverware in another two season after this maybe Saliba and Saka would have their heads turned by the likes of Madrid and PSG but I fully expect us to be right up there in all competitions by that time

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:22 pm
That's a good point.
If we don't win anything in the next two seasons, I guarantee Saliba will be off and to be honest, Saka may well go too if Madrid come calling. The problem with having top top young players is that they want to win trophies. If we can't give them that then they will leave.
The good thing is, Klopp is going, Pep is off soon, Man Cheaty will hopefully have to face the charges next season and have to be punished heavily.
Arsenal are in a good position, particularly if we can sign a top striker in the summer and another CM. Hopefully Zubimendi.
Finally.....I also hope Arteta also ditches more dead wood........we have quite a bit still!!
Apologies Tee Cee I responded, without seeing your post, and pretty much echoed it :oops:

Just to add we have some top quality looking youngsters on the fringes who would love to break through in the next couple of seasons - which is always great to see.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

No worries mate. Great minds and that..... :D