Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

wilson2.0

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by wilson2.0 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:32 am

He's also confirming himself as a manager who has the right to be considered in the young elite class.
Yes he is doing a fantastic job but lads you need to calm down a bit.

He hasn't won anything with his team.....yet.

He has to win some silverware before people shout out for him to be our long-term manager.
Calm down? Fuck me remember where we were five years ago, in the gutter going nowhere.

In any other era we would be winning the title with the last two squads we have had. Dare I say it this squad, would have been resilient enough to withstand Saliba getting injured last term and having cover for him.

Its ok to admit Arteta is taking us in the right direction, no one has a divine right to win trophies including us with a 20 year drought. When you keep improving like we have eventually you have to hit the jackpot, that might be after Klopp and Pep have left I don't care but lets get in a position to capitalise.

You know the best thing about our club now, after such a long time the fans have total identity with the team that is reflective of the mood in the terraces. It is total unconditional support, no moaning about misplaced passes etc. I have witnessed some of the best atmospheres at Arsenal in the last two years since my debut seasons in the mid 80s, standing on that famous terrace.
Football is about enjoying the highs, when you are doing well enjoy it as there will be certainly be lows - right now we are as high and as good as we have been for a decade or more, yet it coincides with City’s dominance and this season a resurgent scouse team.

We may not win it, but bloody hell don’t leave it till the end of season to decide whether or not you have enjoyed our games, our team working for each other, the dominance in some really tricky matches, being back among Europes elite teams.

If we don’t get over the line in 1st there is no argument that we will be up there again next season and the season after as this team is still getting better
I agree with you about enjoying the games. It's brilliantly stressful at the moment.

Do you think this squad will still be together IF the next two seasons end with no trophies?

We pay some of the highest wages in the world. Saka is on 250k rising to 300k based on performances.

Its cynical, but if you pay players a significant wage, they will stay. FFP is also starting to bite, which makes it harder for clubs to raise a significant fees.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

To be this good defensively for so long is not an accident. Arteta is a serious coach, he knows tactics better than most. Arteta has organized us off the ball and out of possession, something Wenger neglected for over 10 years.

If we discarded Arteta, expect Chelsea and Man United to offer him a king shit wage and Arteta would then become our competitor (not good).

As for this years CL and PL. The margins are so tight and the competition so fierce, its regressive and backwards to suggest its PL/CL or bust. Competing against Pep and Klopp who are entrenched and have been at their respective clubs for 8/9 seasons. Arteta is competing against heavyweights of a generation who have held the high ground by virtue of being at their clubs longer.

Some have said we should 'give someone else a go'. The argument goes we should 'risk everything' by taking a chance on someone like Conte or De Zerbi.

Arteta will be the manager of Arsenal, for a while too

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:36 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:58 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:57 am

Yes he is doing a fantastic job but lads you need to calm down a bit.

He hasn't won anything with his team.....yet.

He has to win some silverware before people shout out for him to be our long-term manager.
Calm down? Fuck me remember where we were five years ago, in the gutter going nowhere.

In any other era we would be winning the title with the last two squads we have had. Dare I say it this squad, would have been resilient enough to withstand Saliba getting injured last term and having cover for him.

Its ok to admit Arteta is taking us in the right direction, no one has a divine right to win trophies including us with a 20 year drought. When you keep improving like we have eventually you have to hit the jackpot, that might be after Klopp and Pep have left I don't care but lets get in a position to capitalise.

You know the best thing about our club now, after such a long time the fans have total identity with the team that is reflective of the mood in the terraces. It is total unconditional support, no moaning about misplaced passes etc. I have witnessed some of the best atmospheres at Arsenal in the last two years since my debut seasons in the mid 80s, standing on that famous terrace.
Football is about enjoying the highs, when you are doing well enjoy it as there will be certainly be lows - right now we are as high and as good as we have been for a decade or more, yet it coincides with City’s dominance and this season a resurgent scouse team.

We may not win it, but bloody hell don’t leave it till the end of season to decide whether or not you have enjoyed our games, our team working for each other, the dominance in some really tricky matches, being back among Europes elite teams.

If we don’t get over the line in 1st there is no argument that we will be up there again next season and the season after as this team is still getting better
I agree with you about enjoying the games. It's brilliantly stressful at the moment.

Do you think this squad will still be together IF the next two seasons end with no trophies?

We pay some of the highest wages in the world. Saka is on 250k rising to 300k based on performances.

Its cynical, but if you pay players a significant wage, they will stay. FFP is also starting to bite, which makes it harder for clubs to raise a significant fees.
Did you ever consider that maybe the player would prefer a few medals rather than a few million more?

They are already filthy rich

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

The only thing that could trigger a mass exodus of players right now is actually the manager deciding to leave himself. Would introduce uncertainty and leave a few pondering their future.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 am
To be this good defensively for so long is not an accident. Arteta is a serious coach, he knows tactics better than most. Arteta has organized us off the ball and out of possession, something Wenger neglected for over 10 years.

If we discarded Arteta, expect Chelsea and Man United to offer him a king shit wage and Arteta would then become our competitor (not good).

As for this years CL and PL. The margins are so tight and the competition so fierce, its regressive and backwards to suggest its PL/CL or bust. Competing against Pep and Klopp who are entrenched and have been at their respective clubs for 8/9 seasons. Arteta is competing against heavyweights of a generation who have held the high ground by virtue of being at their clubs longer.

Some have said we should 'give someone else a go'. The argument goes we should 'risk everything' by taking a chance on someone like Conte or De Zerbi.

You hadn't mentioned de zerbi in a while, guess the way he cut a dash in Saturday and his man hug with Tets set the juices flowing?!

the playing mantis

Everything looks great and on the body of evidence so far I share the optimism and ENJOYMENT but if we collapse and fall away again then what. Hence why some of us reserving our overblown platitudes. As we were 7 clear at similar point last season and all fell away on salibas injury. The more rational and non flip flopers (some of thr extreme switches on here by some of the long termers is comical!) Amongst us fear the same given there is still little to no cover for him.

Hopefully we are wrong.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:20 am
The only thing that could trigger a mass exodus of players right now is actually the manager deciding to leave himself. Would introduce uncertainty and leave a few pondering their future.
No one mentioned now.

The original question was if no trophies are won in the next two seasons after this.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am
No one mentioned now.

The original question was if no trophies are won in the next two seasons after this.
Depends on the margin of failure really. If we are 7th and adrift again then yes players will leave.

In scenarios similar like ours currently where we are competing at the top I’d say it’s still unlikely. Players on a decent wage and jumping ship to sides we are capable of beating ourselves wouldn’t be likely. Also I got the impression the current crop feels indebted to the manager a bit and more loyal.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

And there was I wondering 'Where Is Wilson The Wind Up' ? and lo and behold.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

awww bless.

the playing mantis

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 am
And there was I wondering 'Where Is Wilson The Wind Up' ? and lo and behold.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

awww bless.
Why you medium cock pussy!

Just say de zerbi 3 times in front of a mirror us Wilson will appear

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:46 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

awww bless.

:shock:

You Said and Typed that in a West Country accent, which is Truly Scary Mary Time!!! "Ooooh Arrrggghh Where's My Ciderrrrrr!?" :D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

awww bless.

You Said and Typed that in a West Country accent, which is Truly Scary Mary Time!!! "Ooooh Arrrggghh Where's My Ciderrrrrr!?" :D :wink:
Nah...... they are all man utd or scouse in west country....man utd, cider and heavy rock music....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:58 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

awww bless.

Nah...... they are all man utd or scouse in west country....man utd, cider and heavy rock music....

:hmmthink:

And you know this how? :D

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:26 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 am

You hadn't mentioned de zerbi in a while, guess the way he cut a dash in Saturday and his man hug with Tets set the juices flowing?!
Ive never wanted De Zerbi. Massively overrated and apparently Liverpool didnt even bother to consider him. But other people of this forum have suggested De Zerbi.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:23 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am
No one mentioned now.

Depends on the margin of failure really. If we are 7th and adrift again then yes players will leave.

In scenarios similar like ours currently where we are competing at the top I’d say it’s still unlikely. Players on a decent wage and jumping ship to sides we are capable of beating ourselves wouldn’t be likely. Also I got the impression the current crop feels indebted to the manager a bit and more loyal.
Football is a fickle game. Under Wenger we had players who referred to him as such a wonderful father figure and indebted to him etc, but once their reputation in the game soared, season after season of just being top 4 with the odd FA Cup wasn't enough. Van Persie, Adebayor, Nasri, Fabregas, Clichy, Sagna etc etc - all players who would speak about Wenger in glowing terms, all of whom played in teams regularly getting to the last 8 (or further) in the CL and always being in the top 4. Eventually though those levels aren't enough. Barca, Man U, Citeh became a bigger draw. Not that we were shit.....we just weren't quite that top, top level when it came to the biggest prizes. Once RvP scored 30 goals in a season, once Cesc was a top Spanish international surrounded by Barca and Real lads......there came a moment where they need to take the next step. How many years of just being 'top 4' PL, 'top 8' Europe would Saka, Martinelli, Rice, Odegaard etc take before Real or City persuaded them otherwise?