Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

the playing mantis

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by the playing mantis »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:41 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:03 pm
Short-term memoryloss from the flipfloppers.

Hopefully the faith is well placed. End if season will tell, and distant 3rd in a 3 horse race won't count as success, given the state and standard of the league.
Well your predictions on Brexit wernt very accurate were they, so somehow I don't think we will finish 3rd by a long distance either.

The only team we genuinely have to fear of the other two are City, because they are a relentless machine when they get going. Pool have only managed to turn them over one in six seasons. And with Arsenal and City now both having played at Pool away, do you think Arsenal or City performed better over 90 mins?

If it was a straight foot race between us and the scousers, who lets face it apart from a decent 2nd half vs City in recent weeks, have been very lucky to pick up some of the points they have, I would fancy our chances. Even with a difficult run in.
Oh ffs nutty! What is war, what is pandemic, what is useless tories unable to implement a policy.

Let's not start that again!

I didn't predict 3rd by a long distance merely saying that that shouldn't be counted as a success if that's what happens.

I hope you are right about just city to worry about but the victims have the emotion around klopp which seems to help them.

the playing mantis

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:10 am
He gave them both 100k a week :lol:

An "elite" manager would be able to replace them with our youth.

That's ohe thing I like about Klopp. He has the ability to do that. I don't think arteta does.

Anyway we are going around in circles here.
What youth striker is a candidate for our first team right now that can play at a champions league level?

Arteta has no responsibility for the Arsenal academy. Again blaming the guy for everything. If there are no obvious candidates he should just sell all our squad players ? Just doesn’t make sense.
I don't disagree with everything you say 5forviv! But my 6 Yr old nephew would pose more of a threat than Eddie. Awful player who doesn't even pit a shift in which makes it 100 times worse his display against the scum was the worst and most disgusting for lack of effort I've seen an arsenal striker I'd rather have danilvacius or caballero up top than this clown.

He put some effort in when after a new contract and was occasionally I the tight place at the right time but my word a youth team striker who may improve from the opportunities could do as well as he.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

That's ohe thing I like about Klopp. He has the ability to do that. I don't think arteta does.

What youth striker is a candidate for our first team right now that can play at a champions league level?

Arteta has no responsibility for the Arsenal academy. Again blaming the guy for everything. If there are no obvious candidates he should just sell all our squad players ? Just doesn’t make sense.
I don't disagree with everything you say 5forviv! But my 6 Yr old nephew would pose more of a threat than Eddie. Awful player who doesn't even pit a shift in which makes it 100 times worse his display against the scum was the worst and most disgusting for lack of effort I've seen an arsenal striker I'd rather have danilvacius or caballero up top than this clown.
:D
He put some effort in when after a new contract and was occasionally I the tight place at the right time but my word a youth team striker who may improve from the opportunities could do as well as he.
I agree, I’d pick your 6 year old too !

Eddie is just an average striker. Guy does my head in! Only decent lurking around the penalty area, will convert but needs service, doesn’t really add much value outside of the box in hold up play however the only youth striker remotely ready was Bireth who went to Motherwell on loan and will probably get let go this summer. It’s just not viable there isn’t anyone. Theres no obvious candidate and in my,Arsenal supporting lifetime only a handful of youth strikers have come through the ranks to forge careers. Andy Cole, paul dickov, Kevin Campbell. Mostly we sign them.

Then you can say why didn’t arteta sell Eddie if there was interest from palace ? Ok fine say he goes for 30 mill then we need to sign a replacement in January who is better right ? In the unlikely event Brentford would sell us Ivan Toney they would ask for 70 million quid or more so Arteta needs to go to the board who are about to announce a 53 million pound loss and ask them for another 40 million quid plus more wages to replace Eddie! It just isn’t viable. We need to strengthen in stages unfortunately and it gets on my nerves as much as everyone else

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:01 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:22 am
A question for Viv and Nutty. Come the end of this season, what will success look like in your opinion? What will the team need to achieve to warrant calling the season a success?

We finished last season 5 points behind City and 17 points ahead of Liverpool.

Last season we went out of the FA Cup in the 4th round and the EFL Cup in the 3rd round...first round for us (I think De Zerbi was managing Brighton :lol: ).

We then spent over 200 million in the summer....but didn't buy a striker. This, by the way, took Arteta's 4 year spend to 700 million, which makes nonsense of Viv's blaming funds for having dross on the bench.

This season we went out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round and the EFL Cup in the 4th round in an embarrassing performance against West Ham :oops: .
Under Arteta, exiting domestic cups almost immediately has become a habit.

Last season we went out of the Europa in the first knockout stage on penalties, this season we squeaked through the CL first knockout stage on penalties.

So, after spending over 200 million last summer, we've totally fucked up the domestic cups again, so it's all on the PL and CL. How far do we have to go in the CL and how will the final PL have to look for you to say it's been a success this season?
Ok I think the question is a good one so I’ll answer but first harping on about the 700 million. This is a joke. You do realise that between 2009 to 2019 city spent 1.5 billion on players and this was before the vast recent inflation whilst we had wenger running the club into the ground. They are now up on ffp because of this. Look at their bench at the weekend. There’s 250 million in players they signed on their subs bench! Give that to Arteta and he’ll get you a title, trying to suggest we’ve wasted money is absurd. Our major signings like white and Rice have worked out.

The question id say …

Lose at the Etihad and fall away to third in the league then go out of CL next round. I’d say you couldn’t class it as a success as it’s probably the baseline of achievement. It’s meh for me not punishable by death by any means as it points to us establishing regular champions league qualification 2 years in a row just full of what ifs.

A gallant 2nd by a short margin and a champions league semi final would qualify as a real success for me. Would show last season wasn’t a one off and that we are here to stay and made definitive progress in Europe with loads of prize money. Rebuild, chop wood and go again !

That said I fully believe from what I’m reading here that even if we actually won the title you would have people saying “‘bu bu bu but he signed Havertz!” :lol:

Why do you always introduce straw men into the debate? I didn't make a judgement on the money he spent (I could but I didn't) and therefore didn't use the word waste. My point was simply that he's had 700 million in 4 years....which interestingly is more than keeping pace with your City figure of 1.5 billion in 10 years.

Anyway, the clear point I was making was that after a reasonably successful league campaign last season (I could forgive the collapse when viewed overall) and finishing 2nd, 17 points ahead of Liverpool, Arteta then spent in excess of 200 million in the summer. As such, no room for excuses if we end up below the scousers and we need to be a very close 2nd to City at worst.

In fairness, that's what you said re the league finish this season and I agree that a CL semi final would be a successful progression.

Regarding your comments about the EFL, considering we've won fuck all since 2020, don't you think it might be a start? You consider it beneath us, yet City, Liverpool and Chelsea (including when they were going well) all try to win it and actually do so. I see that with your usual selective approach, you don't mention the failures in the FA Cup....do you think we oughtn't bother with that either?

Anyway, at least you're brave enough to go out on a limb about what would constitute success. Haven't heard from Nutty yet.

the playing mantis

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:04 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Eddie is just an average striker. Guy does my head in! Only decent lurking around the penalty area, will convert but needs service, doesn’t really add much value outside of the box in hold up play however the only youth striker remotely ready was Bireth who went to Motherwell on loan and will probably get let go this summer. It’s just not viable there isn’t anyone. Theres no obvious candidate and in my,Arsenal supporting lifetime only a handful of youth strikers have come through the ranks to forge careers. Andy Cole, paul dickov, Kevin Campbell. Mostly we sign them.

Then you can say why didn’t arteta sell Eddie if there was interest from palace ? Ok fine say he goes for 30 mill then we need to sign a replacement in January who is better right ? In the unlikely event Brentford would sell us Ivan Toney they would ask for 70 million quid or more so Arteta needs to go to the board who are about to announce a 53 million pound loss and ask them for another 40 million quid plus more wages to replace Eddie! It just isn’t viable. We need to strengthen in stages unfortunately and it gets on my nerves as much as everyone else
He does need replacing ad you admit he's shite so any dross from the 18s could do no worse so 30m banked for Eddie and no impact on squad depth cos he's gash.you admit it. That's black mark against those in charge.

We do need to strengthen but in this example it don't wash as selling him and replacing him with the theoretical inamiate carbon rod wouldn't weaken us.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

44% voted “he will be an “utter fu king disaster”

He hasn’t been , even if we fall short this season

We are firmly in the top 3 teams in the county, we are matching / beating City and Liverpool which was something that was, maybe rightly thrown at him previously.

I believe that some were hell bent on hating him regardless of what he did, not sure why an ex Arsenal player / captain / now manager should be so disrespected

I fully accept he shouldn’t have been given the job as a learning curve, with no experience, but we are where we are now - above the scum, who were, like it or not a level above us a few years back, above Chelsea and the Mancs and fighting it out with the behemoth that is cheating City and the media favourites Liverpool due to to the rebuild and it is Arteta’s team.

Retro 2nd for me, would be success, two seasons running, inching closer to overthrowing City and given we haven’t been even participating in the CL for a few season getting into the quarters is good, getting to the semi would be massive.

Viv Andersons Tache

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:14 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
A question for Viv and Nutty. Come the end of this season, what will success look like in your opinion? What will the team need to achieve to warrant calling the season a success?

Last season we went out of the FA Cup in the 4th round and the EFL Cup in the 3rd round...first round for us (I think De Zerbi was managing Brighton :lol: ).

We then spent over 200 million in the summer....but didn't buy a striker. This, by the way, took Arteta's 4 year spend to 700 million, which makes nonsense of Viv's blaming funds for having dross on the bench.

This season we went out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round and the EFL Cup in the 4th round in an embarrassing performance against West Ham :oops: .

Last season we went out of the Europa in the first knockout stage on penalties, this season we squeaked through the CL first knockout stage on penalties.

So, after spending over 200 million last summer, we've totally fucked up the domestic cups again, so it's all on the PL and CL. How far do we have to go in the CL and how will the final PL have to look for you to say it's been a success this season?
Ok I think the question is a good one so I’ll answer but first harping on about the 700 million. This is a joke. You do realise that between 2009 to 2019 city spent 1.5 billion on players and this was before the vast recent inflation whilst we had wenger running the club into the ground. They are now up on ffp because of this. Look at their bench at the weekend. There’s 250 million in players they signed on their subs bench! Give that to Arteta and he’ll get you a title, trying to suggest we’ve wasted money is absurd. Our major signings like white and Rice have worked out.

The question id say …

Lose at the Etihad and fall away to third in the league then go out of CL next round. I’d say you couldn’t class it as a success as it’s probably the baseline of achievement. It’s meh for me not punishable by death by any means as it points to us establishing regular champions league qualification 2 years in a row just full of what ifs.

A gallant 2nd by a short margin and a champions league semi final would qualify as a real success for me. Would show last season wasn’t a one off and that we are here to stay and made definitive progress in Europe with loads of prize money. Rebuild, chop wood and go again !

That said I fully believe from what I’m reading here that even if we actually won the title you would have people saying “‘bu bu bu but he signed Havertz!” :lol:

Anyway, the clear point I was making was that after a reasonably successful league campaign last season (I could forgive the collapse when viewed overall) and finishing 2nd, 17 points ahead of Liverpool, Arteta then spent in excess of 200 million in the summer. As such, no room for excuses if we end up below the scousers and we need to be a very close 2nd to City at worst.

In fairness, that's what you said re the league finish this season and I agree that a CL semi final would be a successful progression.

Regarding your comments about the EFL, considering we've won fuck all since 2020, don't you think it might be a start? You consider it beneath us, yet City, Liverpool and Chelsea (including when they were going well) all try to win it and actually do so. I see that with your usual selective approach, you don't mention the failures in the FA Cup....do you think we oughtn't bother with that either?
i was at the littlewood league cup final when we blew it v Luton in 88. i’ve always thought the competition is a load of bollocks and a distraction if i’m honest. The reason city have won it so many times recently is they have so much talent in reserve and can just chuck in the reserves and bash everyone anyway. Don’t think it helped getting 2 london sides away but i don’t care really as its a total distraction to the priorities .

FA Cup i do care about it’s an amazing day out, i reckon our 98 final v newcastle was one of the best days of my life. If i recall some bird properly put it on me after the game in a nightclub too. Honestly it was like fucking christmas mate, should have bought a lottery ticket that day. Anyway these are one off 90 minute knock out games and we just didn’t get a result on the day this year. irritating eh, but painting it as some sort of pattern with the manager is silly as he won it once already in 4 years and really European progression is the priority because of the money involved. Stick with the guy and there’s going to be lots of fun again.

Viv Andersons Tache

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:29 pm
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:04 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

He does need replacing ad you admit he's shite so any dross from the 18s could do no worse so 30m banked for Eddie and no impact on squad depth cos he's gash.you admit it. That's black mark against those in charge.

We do need to strengthen but in this example it don't wash as selling him and replacing him with the theoretical inamiate carbon rod wouldn't weaken us.
nothing i would enjoy more than selling him mate but unfortunately you need enough players to cover the squad and the moment the manager let him go and didn’t replace he would be getting dogs abuse. Even eddie is better than nothing.

Also we can only assume there was interest and no actual offer from palace, who knows on that front.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:44 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

The question id say …

i was at the littlewood league cup final when we blew it v Luton in 88. i’ve always thought the competition is a load of bollocks and a distraction if i’m honest. The reason city have won it so many times recently is they have so much talent in reserve and can just chuck in the reserves and bash everyone anyway. Don’t think it helped getting 2 london sides away but i don’t care really as its a total distraction to the priorities .

FA Cup i do care about it’s an amazing day out, i reckon our 98 final v newcastle was one of the best days of my life. If i recall some bird properly put it on me after the game in a nightclub too. Honestly it was like fucking christmas mate, should have bought a lottery ticket that day. Anyway these are one off 90 minute knock out games and we just didn’t get a result on the day this year. irritating eh, but painting it as some sort of pattern with the manager is silly as he won it once already in 4 years and really European progression is the priority because of the money involved. Stick with the guy and there’s going to be lots of fun again.

:lol:
Are you a politician by any chance? I see that you selectively ignored the fact that we’re ahead of the City spending curve that you highlighted.

Also, it isn’t the not City chasing and winning the EFL is it…I think Liverpool have won 2 of the last 3. It’s the least important of the competitions, but if we’re trading finals, I was at the league cup final in ‘87 (and the two you mention) which launched our good years under George. Winning is a habit. As for drawing London teams away being an excuse for losing, that’s really scraping the barrel when that team is West Ham. As for Brighton, when did they become a London club and we lost at home not away. :lol:

Take a look at the four years in both domestic cups since we won the FA Cup in 2020 and tell me again that there’s no pattern. That’s eight cup competitions where we haven’t got out the blocks. All well and good saying it’s Europe that’s important, but the big clubs with a winning mentality take all competitions seriously. The evidence proves it.

the playing mantis

I was at the 93 morrow final. 2nd arsenal game.

But I couldn't give a shit about he league Cup tbh now.

Pointless competition on par with zenith data systems imo now.

That said we have a well below performance in it historically, by the law of averages as a 'big club'we should have won it a lot more, like most of our peers have.

Viv Andersons Tache

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:50 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

The question id say …

FA Cup i do care about it’s an amazing day out, i reckon our 98 final v newcastle was one of the best days of my life. If i recall some bird properly put it on me after the game in a nightclub too. Honestly it was like fucking christmas mate, should have bought a lottery ticket that day. Anyway these are one off 90 minute knock out games and we just didn’t get a result on the day this year. irritating eh, but painting it as some sort of pattern with the :D :D :D :D manager is silly as he won it once already in 4 years and really European progression is the priority because of the money involved. Stick with the guy and there’s going to be lots of fun again.

Are you a politician by any chance? I see that you selectively ignored the fact that we’re ahead of the City spending curve that you highlighted.
If we were ahead we would be up on FFP charges too. If you are comparing our spending curve in the last 5 seasons to what they started in 2009 to 2019 haha .

have you ever heard of the concept of inflation. Please tell you me you aren’t an accountant.

Viv Andersons Tache

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 pm
I was at the 93 morrow final. 2nd arsenal game.

But I couldn't give a shit about he league Cup tbh now.

Pointless competition on par with zenith data systems imo now.

Yep. Pointless, agree

Your are right we should have probably won it a couple times more but it’s so pony.

That Birmingham final. Dear god. Wenger should have resigned at the final whistle.

I was at the final in 2018 v city. Mustafi what a total absolute Carthorse. Arteta was to blame for that debacle. He wasn’t in charge at that point but I blame him anyway etc. Massive train delays getting out of Wembley that day. Arteta responsible too.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:15 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

The question id say …

FA Cup i do care about it’s an amazing day out, i reckon our 98 final v newcastle was one of the best days of my life. If i recall some bird properly put it on me after the game in a nightclub too. Honestly it was like fucking christmas mate, should have bought a lottery ticket that day. Anyway these are one off 90 minute knock out games and we just didn’t get a result on the day this year. irritating eh, but painting it as some sort of pattern with the :D :D :D :D manager is silly as he won it once already in 4 years and really European progression is the priority because of the money involved. Stick with the guy and there’s going to be lots of fun again.

If we were ahead we would be up on FFP charges too. If you are comparing our spending curve in the last 5 seasons to what they started in 2009 to 2019 haha .

have you ever heard of the concept of inflation. Please tell you me you aren’t an accountant.
:lol: As IW8 said, you really do have an answer for everything, regardless of how nonsensical bollocks it might be.

Inflation :lol:. So in 4 years Arteta spends 700 million, that’s between 2020 and 2024. That’s an average of 175 million per year. Based on your figures, which I haven’t checked, City have spent 1.5 billion in 11 years (2009-19 inclusive), which averages out at 136 million per year. If you genuinely think that inflation accounts for an additional 40 million per year (that’s an increase of 30% on City’s spend) then I hope you’ve had your money invested in whatever fund is showing that growth. :lol: :lol:

The bullshit will always find you out mate. Your opinions are more than welcome, but don’t treat posters on here as though they’re idiots.

Viv Andersons Tache

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

:lol: As IW8 said, you really do have an answer for everything, regardless of how nonsensical bollocks it might be.

Inflation :lol:. So in 4 years Arteta spends 700 million, that’s between 2020 and 2024. That’s an average of 175 million per year. Based on your figures, which I haven’t checked, City have spent 1.5 billion in 11 years (2009-19 inclusive), which averages out at 136 million per year. If you genuinely think that inflation accounts for an additional 40 million per year (that’s an increase of 30% on City’s spend) then I hope you’ve had your money invested in whatever fund is showing that growth. :lol: :lol:

The bullshit will always find you out mate. Your opinions are more than welcome, but don’t treat posters on here as though they’re idiots.
Actually that correlates quite well. Have a butchers

All things being equal, the price of players during the last transfer window went up by 31% compared to the previous year. Since 2014, the annual inflation growth rate on the transfer market for big-5 league footballers has been 26%. With respect to 2011, the same player costs now almost three times more. More exclusive analysis is available in the 47th edition of the CIES Football Observatory

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr47/en/

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Actually that correlates quite well. Have a butchers

All things being equal, the price of players during the last transfer window went up by 31% compared to the previous year. Since 2014, the annual inflation growth rate on the transfer market for big-5 league footballers has been 26%. With respect to 2011, the same player costs now almost three times more. More exclusive analysis is available in the 47th edition of the CIES Football Observatory

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/mr/mr47/en/

Based on that, we’re ahead of the curve. City’s spend didn’t stop in 2011 did it? Your figures for City extend to 2019 (again, I haven’t checked those figures).

Do the maths, we’re certainly not behind the curve are we?

Fancy comparing us to Liverpool since Klopp’s arrival? Even using your inflation figures, we’re way ahead of their spend. I think they’ve already won a trophy this season. Still, it was only the EFL….again.

Let’s continue this in May.