Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by OneBardGooner »

:high5:

I am beginning to wonder if he (arteta) thinks he can 'out-think/smart) Pep.... There's no fuckin' waaaay!...

Like it / him or not...Pep is a friggin genius... Okay yes with Bottomless Pockets etc... But compared to Pep... Arteta is ...

well :rubchin: uhhhmm

Uhhhhmmm! :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

'Pep-Lite' (© of Nick Nack I believe :wink: )

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am
People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.
You've now basically posted this exact post about thirty times on here. That is WUM behaviour. Mix it up or I will ban you for WUMing. The entire forum is sick of your carry on. Get a grip. And I'm sick of reading complaints about you.
I've come to enjoy it actually! Stockholm syndrome of sorts...give him a break db..please no ban hammer until the name calling starts, I will do a rodders and implode my briefs when the cock pussy line finally gets a play and the board get mentioned once the mask fully slips!
Mantis buddy, I promise a ban on here is always a last resort and only comes after numerous complaints from the regulars, many warnings to the poster about their conduct, and even then I give them every opportunity to stop acting the WUM. But you cannot help some people, especially on the interwebs.

The problem is though "cock pussy" is personal abuse but I love it! I used to laugh my ass off when Mad Marty would go off on one and throw "why you little cock pussy" at everyone. :lol: So I can't ban anyone for saying that now. :lol: :wink:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.
You've now basically posted this exact post about thirty times on here. That is WUM behaviour. Mix it up or I will ban you for WUMing. The entire forum is sick of your carry on. Get a grip. And I'm sick of reading complaints about you.

Its the Arteta thread and most of the posters want him out. Why would I not post in response to my view which is wanting to keep him?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Its the Arteta thread and most of the posters want him out. Why would I not post in response to my view which is wanting to keep him?
I have not said that I want him out (that’s a crazy suggestion anyway because he is not going anywhere).
I have just been pointing out his limitations, and what he has so far achieved. Given he has spent £700 million it is actually not that much.

I will certainly be getting behind him and the team this evening though. maybe he can prove me wrong in my thinking that he finds cup competitions difficult.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

In defence i would say ALL posters want him to do well....

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:41 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

I have not said that I want him out (that’s a crazy suggestion anyway because he is not going anywhere).
I have just been pointing out his limitations, and what he has so far achieved. Given he has spent £700 million it is actually not that much.

I will certainly be getting behind him and the team this evening though. maybe he can prove me wrong in my thinking that he finds cup competitions difficult.
We are competing with Man City after spending 700m. Which is more to say than Man United and Chelsea. And even though we have been spending, do you think Man City have been sitting in idle. Grealish 100m, Josko 80m, Haaland 60m, Nunes 50m, Dias 70m, Doku 60m, Ake 40m, Phillips 40m and there are many more.

If Arteta was outspending our rivals, there is a case to be made. But at most we are matching City and their level of investment, despite the fact Arteta was starting from a position of weakness relative to Pep - look at our squad relative to Man City the day Arteta took charge of Arsenal

FFS how much money would anyone need to go up against Pep and City's Abu Dhabi pockets. You talk like there are other managers that are infallible. I reckon Simeone would be a popular choice in this forum to replace Arteta. Well Atletico lost last night to Dortmund and are currently in a top 4 race in La Liga, only just recently went into 4th over Athletic Bilbao.

This 'other manager' that offers you an almost perfect chance to win the league against this City juggernaut, doesn't exist. This is the art were eople say we should 'risk' a new manager. We may slide down to 6th, but headed in another direction we could win the league. And I just think this approach is foolish to say the least. I dont want to take risks and gamble. There are dividends to be paid in sticking with Arteta, and if the club ever did sack him for an 'experienced manager who has wun somthin' then we have well and truly played ourselves.

wibble

Post by wibble »

It makes it a much more interesting forum when people have different views.

As much as I agreed with the sentiment, it got pretty boring when everyone wanted Wenger out before he finally left!

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

This 'other manager' that offers you an almost perfect chance to win the league against this City juggernaut, doesn't exist. This is the art were eople say we should 'risk' a new manager. We may slide down to 6th, but headed in another direction we could win the league. And I just think this approach is foolish to say the least. I dont want to take risks and gamble. There are dividends to be paid in sticking with Arteta, and if the club ever did sack him for an 'experienced manager who has wun somthin' then we have well and truly played ourselves.
Thing is Wilson apart from on this forum this isn’t really a point of discussion. Theres an argument that you are validating opinions by even discussing it. It’s such a brain dead concept it doesn’t warrant discussion really. Nobody in the media is calling out Arteta on a host of “mistakes” are they ? The team aren’t getting booed off week in week out. When we go a goal down the support is resolute rather than booing or moaning. Fans both home and away are behind the manager. Theres no genuine “arteta out” movement within our support at all. Don’t get me wrong I know it’s hard not to comment when you see some mad suggestions but really it’s trying to rationalise the utterly illogical.

If you sacked the manager you would run the risk of losing players bought into the cycle right, (saka, Odegaard and Saliba spring to mind) plus you would need a whole new coaching set up. You are starting again and most of the teams we are competing with would want our previous manager :lol:

Again all of this ignores one simple thing. The manager is going nowhere, no Arsenal board will ever sack a manager 2 points off top place. We would need to see obvious regression for at least a couple of seasons and we are nowhere near that.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

Why is it crazy and when does it stop becoming crazy would be my questions to you ?

The cone boy supporters throw out lines about how impossible it is to dethrone the wealth of citeeh which is all well and good, but the games that have cost us the league this season have been the likes of fulham, the shammers and villa (twice) and we are spending way more than them.

When you have given a manager (and edu might I add) £700m to spend, and when you acknowledge that he has limitations, then at what point do you draw the line about how much more financial backing you give him ?? Surely at some point sanity has to kick in and realise that it is absolute madness to sanction big money deals for the likes of havertz when you dont have a proper striker ? If I and many others on here were able to easily point out the weaknesses in zinchenko's game (defending :roll: ) and jesus's game (goal scoring :oops: :oops: ) before we signed them, how can people running a club give the green light for these deals ? Citeeh can afford to throw around money on shit deals (like ferran torres who is continually linked with us :shock: ) without concern but we simply cannot afford to do that - I would say with total confidence that the success rate on the pitch for signings under this regime is well under 50% and that is not sustainable imo. I argued when the french cock finally fcuked off that the next manager after him didnt need to be the man to get us winning leagues again but needed to get us going in the right direction so that down the line we can appoint a guy capable of leading us to trophies again - the trick is to know when a manager has taken the club as far as he can and unless we see a miraculous turnaround in our remaining games, I believe that the time has come to move on and I make no bones about it - staying loyal to a manager for past achievements makes bad business sense as soon as it becomes apparent that he isnt capable of fixing long standing flaws

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:05 pm

I am beginning to wonder if he (arteta) thinks he can 'out-think/smart) Pep.... There's no fuckin' waaaay!...

Like it / him or not...Pep is a friggin genius... Okay yes with Bottomless Pockets etc... But compared to Pep... Arteta is ...

Cheers for the (c) OBG, but that one wasn't me. I'm the Diet Pep man :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:09 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

:oops:

:rubchin:

Aaaah! Yes of course, it must be one from the very deep vault where DB keeps his funnies and insults.

Cue the man himself....

:wink: :D

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 am
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Aaaah! Yes of course, it must be one from the very deep vault where DB keeps his funnies and insults.

Cue the man himself....

That's a place no one dares to venture :shock: :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:47 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Cue the man himself....

Well Spuddy did and ... :rubchin: Uhhhmmm ........

(Calls Out!) Spuddy!!!! Spuddy!! Where Are Youuuuuuuu?

:anyminute:

Spudster !!!! Spudster!! Where Are Youuuuuuuu?

:shock:

Uhh Ohhh!

:goingtobed:

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 am
Nick Nack wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:47 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Cue the man himself....

Well Spuddy did and ... :rubchin: Uhhhmmm ........

(Calls Out!) Spuddy!!!! Spuddy!! Where Are Youuuuuuuu?

:anyminute:

Spudster !!!! Spudster!! Where Are Youuuuuuuu?

:shock:

Uhh Ohhh!

:goingtobed:
Who is this Spuddy you speak of? I assume he is a long lost Gooner still wandering around DBs grotto of doom after a particularly painful disciplinary procedure :shock:

:cake:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:39 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

We are competing with Man City after spending 700m. Which is more to say than Man United and Chelsea. And even though we have been spending, do you think Man City have been sitting in idle. Grealish 100m, Josko 80m, Haaland 60m, Nunes 50m, Dias 70m, Doku 60m, Ake 40m, Phillips 40m and there are many more.

If Arteta was outspending our rivals, there is a case to be made. But at most we are matching City and their level of investment, despite the fact Arteta was starting from a position of weakness relative to Pep - look at our squad relative to Man City the day Arteta took charge of Arsenal

FFS how much money would anyone need to go up against Pep and City's Abu Dhabi pockets. You talk like there are other managers that are infallible. I reckon Simeone would be a popular choice in this forum to replace Arteta. Well Atletico lost last night to Dortmund and are currently in a top 4 race in La Liga, only just recently went into 4th over Athletic Bilbao.

Seriously mate, how many more fucking times do you and your fellow Arteta fan boys need telling? I'm not aware of anyone on here who expects us to finish ahead of City, so why do you constantly feel the need to remind us of how powerful they are, both financially and squad wise....we all know it!

What we want is Arteta doing all he can to compete and get as close to them as possible and anything else is a bonus. What we don't want is him changing a winning team and system that was going so well and putting 4s, 5s and 6s past opposing sides, but that is exactly what he's done and all to accomodate his favourite duds, the hapless Zinchenko and the non scoring Jesus. That's entirely on Arteta and if it all goes tits up then you can fully expect us to criticise him for it.

What we also don't want, is him spending bundles on those duds in the first place and worst of all, buying them from the teams we're supposed to be competing with. You make the point again and again about how difficult it is to compete with City, so please explain how the problem is eased by us buying players that they consider aren't good enough for their team?? If anything is fucking counter-intuitive, then it has to be that. Add to that the buying of Havertz, who Chelsea eventually discarded after he flopped for 3 full seasons. They must have snatched that £65 million out of Arteta's hand and run down the road like Usain Bolt.

However much you play down the £700 million spent, it's a fucking fortune in 4 years and in fairness to the Kroenkes (and I don't find that easy to say), they've totally backed Arteta. The trouble is, he's been buying too many duds like the ones above and if you add Vieira to those three, it must be the best part of £150 million wasted....that's without looking at the other failures he's bought.

You also seem to be forgetting how Klopp has so often pushed City every step of the way and despite inheriting a worse mess than Arteta inherited, he spent less in those first 4 years (even accounting for Viv's inflation :roll: ) and was winning trophies. He wasn't crying about how hard it was to compete with City, he got on with it, put a top team together and won things. If I'm not mistaken, he made two CL finals in his first 4-5 years, the second of which he won. So despite the presence of City, he's won the CL, the PL, a couple of League Cups and the FA Cup and pushed City every inch of the way on more than one occasion in the league.

So, forget the notion of the guys on here expecting us to outdo City, because no one does. What we expect is for Arteta to do all possible to bring success and not self-harm with his predilection for buying and playing obvious duds.

Just decided I needed to add this as an edit.....What is absolutely inexcusable, is Arteta's complete failure to add a proper goalscoring striker last summer. He deserves serious criticism for that, because it's that failing that will cost us more than any other.