Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Viv Andersons Tache

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:48 pm
Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:26 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:22 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pm
I simply refuse to believe that the majority of Gooners attending games sing havertz's name - if it is true then the drug squad needs to do a raid on the place pronto :oops: :oops:

Sadly augie, there's plenty that do, although it's not a majority, it’s the youngsters and the tourist or parvenu type.
Sorry this is not true mate, I go every week. When he scores the 60 million song rings out around the ground. Especially after that last gasp winner the other week.

It must eat away at your insides or something to suggest it isn’t happening :D

No mate, I genuinely don't give a fuck if they sing his name or not. Like I've said, I spent years listening to "One Arsesne Wenger", while the old fucker was destroying the club and then the younger crew singing Xhaka's name last season. If somebody could sing for Xhaka after 6 years of incompetence, then I can't take their opinions seriously.

You'll learn about Havertz, but it seems it will be the hard way. Then again, if you were one of those singing Xhaka's name, then maybe you don't learn, who knows?
If you have to deny reality because you hate one of our own players so much that’s pretty weird right ? It’s a bit like what Leonardo Di Caprio does in the movie inception ? He creates a special place in his own subconscious around his desires and motivations to escape the real world. At the end of the movie he’s no longer able to tell what is real and what isn’t . Feels similar.

However I do understand the frustration and suspicion that might have been created because of wenger. In 2008 when we drew with spurs 4 all at home that time I knew Wenger was done when I was walking away from the ground. No way should we have blown a 2 goal lead like that and few other managers would have presided over that farce. However for years it was tiresome everyone telling me I was wrong to criticise the guy, that was irritating. The damage done in that period was horrible and honestly years later I stopped going to matches because the entire club had become about wengers stupid contract.

Xhaka ? Again you are correct. At the time that was a massive transfer for us and he was utterly utterly diabolical. Can’t believe wenger in his right mind ignored Kante and went for him. Totally lost the plot. I was pleased he had a late renaissance but too little too late really. Again that was another one where everyone was telling you he was great.

However you can’t let those 2 scenarios ruin your enjoyment. Havertz is what he is. Useful player in the squad, will score and affect matches. If we had Osimhen would he play up front ? No chance. if we had Gundogan would he start as regularly ? No chance. Lighten up and enjoy the ride would be my advice

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

If you have to deny reality because you hate one of our own players so much that’s pretty weird right ? It’s a bit like what Leonardo Di Caprio does in the movie inception ? He creates a special place in his own subconscious around his desires and motivations to escape the real world. At the end of the movie he’s no longer able to tell what is real and what isn’t . Feels similar.
Cobb (Di Caprio) wasn't escaping the real world. He and his wife were experimenting to see how deep they could travel into their minds. They ended up in limbo. He can check if he's in reality by using his totem.

I just wanted to clear that up :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

However I do understand the frustration and suspicion that might have been created because of wenger. In 2008 when we drew with spurs 4 all at home that time I knew Wenger was done when I was walking away from the ground. No way should we have blown a 2 goal lead like that and few other managers would have presided over that farce. However for years it was tiresome everyone telling me I was wrong to criticise the guy, that was irritating. The damage done in that period was horrible and honestly years later I stopped going to matches because the entire club had become about wengers stupid contract.

Xhaka ? Again you are correct. At the time that was a massive transfer for us and he was utterly utterly diabolical. Can’t believe wenger in his right mind ignored Kante and went for him. Totally lost the plot. I was pleased he had a late renaissance but too little too late really. Again that was another one where everyone was telling you he was great.

However you can’t let those 2 scenarios ruin your enjoyment. Havertz is what he is. Useful player in the squad, will score and affect matches. If we had Osimhen would he play up front ? No chance. if we had Gundogan would he start as regularly ? No chance. Lighten up and enjoy the ride would be my advice

Copy and pasted this as Mc suggested. Gotta keep the Twitter King happy. :lol: :wink:

Viv, shame about the first paragraph, because I agree with most of the rest, although not that Wenger had any type of "rennaisance". Despite those FA Cup wins, the team and the club was on an inexorable downward spiral and fuck knows where we'd be now if he hadn't gone.

As for Havertz, I don't hate the bloke in the least. That's a massively over-used word in the contemporary world. I simply think that Havertz is a crap footballer who has nowhere near the required quality to be playing at the top level...Chelsea obviously worked that one out after he flopped for three years (please don't come back with some response about a CL winning goal, because as IW8 said to you, Origi has one of those on his cv too). Not rating the guy as a footballer does not equal hating him.

I assume that the reality you think I'm denying is that I'm refusing to accept that Havertz is a quality player? :lol: I'd respectfully suggest that it's you who is in denial Viv, looking at the world through red and white spectacles. Interestingly, you make the point that if we had Osimhen and/or Gundogan, then there's no chance that Havertz would be in the side. You're saying it yourself, compared to top quality he isn't good enough. We shouldn't accept second raters in the side, because I guarantee you now, he is going to cost us. He'll blow nailed on chances in critical moments, I assure you of it.

Anyway mate, can't keep this to-ing and fro-ing going continuously, because we clearly aren't going to agree. Better to see how things develop in the fullness of time. Let's judge Arteta and Havertz in May. Oh and let's hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I won't be. :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Hey Mc, copy and pasting doesn't split the posts up. Looks fucking horrible and confusing to look at. Damn you sir. :wink:

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:59 pm
:D

Cobb (Di Caprio) wasn't escaping the real world. He and his wife were experimenting to see how deep they could travel into their minds. They ended up in limbo. He can check if he's in reality by using his totem.

I just wanted to clear that up
Haha

No you are wrong ! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

He was. He was trying to resist his subconsious but let’s be honest he longed for the false sense of reality he had created. He was an addict.

Did you know Christoper Nolan is making a sequel ? The plot is Leonardo Di Caprio gets paid millions to journey into someone’s subconscious to convince them Havertz didn’t score a winning goal.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Haha

He was. He was trying to resist his subconsious but let’s be honest he longed for the false sense of reality he had created. He was an addict.

Did you know Christoper Nolan is making a sequel ? The plot is Leonardo Di Caprio gets paid millions to journey into someone’s subconscious to convince them Havertz didn’t score a winning goal.

I watched that film and had trouble working out what the fuck was going on. Probably the only film I’ve ever watched where it ends and I’m struggling to put it all together. Saying that, it’s years since I watched The Mattix, but from memory that needed some working out.

Anyway, regarding Inception, I think I’ll go with IW8’s explanation, given that he makes more sense about the football. :lol: :wink:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Haha

He had spent so much time in limbo that he couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. He desperately wanted to be in reality with his kids. That's way he constantly used his totem.

The whole film's foundation is that when in limbo he wanted to go back to reality but his wife didn't so he planted a seed in her mind telling her this world (limbo) isn't real. What he didn't realise was that seed of doubt would also affect her in reality (Inception) thus driving her pretty much insane.

Viv Andersons Tache

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:23 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Haha

He had spent so much time in limbo that he couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. He desperately wanted to be in reality with his kids. That's way he constantly used his totem.

The whole film's foundation is that when in limbo he wanted to go back to reality but his wife didn't so he planted a seed in her mind telling her this world (limbo) isn't real. What he didn't realise was that seed of doubt would also affect her in reality (Inception) thus driving her pretty much insane.
Great post

Except he didn’t want reality in truth. That totem was false in the end . At the end of the movie, he spins the top and walks away before verifying if it stops spinning or not. His kids come running in and Cobb doesn't care about the top or "true reality" or extraction/inception anymore. He just wants to be with his children.

He became just like the weirdo Kai hate club he lost consciousness

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Ill say it again. If we ever sacked Arteta. He would easily get another role at a top club. Barcelona for instance, and if timing was right, he could replace Pep at Man City. If Arteta were available, you and you chairman of Man United or Chelsea, would be a perfect choice to rebuild.

Still amazed the lack of foresight so many of on this forum with regards to not seeing Arteta high qualities as a manager

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:23 pm
Ill say it again. If we ever sacked Arteta. He would easily get another role at a top club. Barcelona for instance, and if timing was right, he could replace Pep at Man City. If Arteta were available, you and you chairman of Man United or Chelsea, would be a perfect choice to rebuild.

Still amazed the lack of foresight so many of on this forum with regards to not seeing Arteta high qualities as a manager
Exactly like US Marty you have one thing that you post over and over and over. We get it. You rate Arteta as a great manager. Not everyone agrees with you. Repeating yourself on every single post is not going to change anyone's mind, mate. Only Arteta can do that. And it will take a league title to convince me and a lot of others that he is the right man. If he can't deliver that league title then I want the club to look for the man that can.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

Exactly like US Marty you have one thing that you post over and over and over. We get it. You rate Arteta as a great manager. Not everyone agrees with you. Repeating yourself on every single post is not going to change anyone's mind, mate. Only Arteta can do that. And it will take a league title to convince me and a lot of others that he is the right man. If he can't deliver that league title then I want the club to look for the man that can.

Just go out and find someone who can you could say with a high degree of confidence they could beat Pep who has entrenched himself at Man City for close to a decade.

The list of people who could do that is very low.

People have mentioned Inzaghi because of how well he is doing at Inter. But AC Milan are second in Serie A and if you look at the Millan squad, its not a high bar to clear if Milan are the second best team in Serie A.

Arteta is competing with Liverpool and Man City, Klopp and Pep - two thoroughbreds.

Pasta head Simone is giving it the bigun outrunning a Milanese pony

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

wilson2.0 wrote:

This is your opinion, and, as the saying goes, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one...

If at the end of this season Arteta doesn't win a trophy, this will be his fourth season trophyless. Even in the dark, dark days of the old french fucker he still managed to win 3 Fa cups.

Quite frankly unless Diet Pep wins the league or chumpions league :roll: then his position needs to be assessed.

Football is a results business and each team has a benchmark it should be measured against. For some it is avoiding relegation, for the Arsenal it should be winning trophies. If Diet Pep doesn't deliver then his position should be in reasonable doubt.

I for one, and I probably speak for others on here, do not want to go back to the grim days of when idiots supported the manager over the club. Sadly I think the cultists that supported Wenger over the club linger like a bad smell and we are getting close to going down that road again.

And by the way, I think you are wumming and your post is trying to get a reaction from other posters on here, but as I've been on the booze tonight I felt like replying.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Nick Nack wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

This is your opinion, and, as the saying goes, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one...

If at the end of this season Arteta doesn't win a trophy, this will be his fourth season trophyless. Even in the dark, dark days of the old french fucker he still managed to win 3 Fa cups.

Quite frankly unless Diet Pep wins the league or chumpions league :roll: then his position needs to be assessed.

Football is a results business and each team has a benchmark it should be measured against. For some it is avoiding relegation, for the Arsenal it should be winning trophies. If Diet Pep doesn't deliver then his position should be in reasonable doubt.

I for one, and I probably speak for others on here, do not want to go back to the grim days of when idiots supported the manager over the club. Sadly I think the cultists that supported Wenger over the club linger like a bad smell and we are getting close to going down that road again.

And by the way, I think you are wumming and your post is trying to get a reaction from other posters on here, but as I've been on the booze tonight I felt like replying.

Because I support a manager who has made us relevant again, having been years adrift of being a title threat and not being taken seriously by the teams at the top end, and im a WUM.

You do realise Arteta is supported by the majority of Arsenal fans?

Viv Andersons Tache

Nick Nack wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

This simply wont happen. Like I’ve said before it’s more likely he gets poached than fired at the moment. Arsenal simply won’t be firing the manager and entire coaching team anytime soon even if we finished 4th. It’s a kind of odd thing to lust after really as we are top of the league. I’m sure if Liverpool felt they could get Arteta they would be after him. He forged an impressive reputation and brought the fun back into going to Arsenal

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:23 pm
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:22 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:26 am
Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:36 pm

Or ‘woke’ apparently. :lol:

All must be rosey in the Wengteta garden. :barscarf:

And before I get called a Spurs fan again ( :lol: ), I’m very much enjoying the good run we are on but I find it concerning that we’re still quite wasteful with the ball, at times, AND the absolute lack of depth in the squad. If the starting 11 doesn’t get the job done then turning to Reiss Nelson, Nketiah and Zinchenko is beyond worrying.

When you start whining like a Bitch about Ooooh! I'm Just Expressing My Opinions when called on your Negativity... And then try and get out of it when we win like one of those Radio4 Noncey Farts... then that's what looks and sound like "Woke" MF.

There's a difference between Constructive Criticism and Always Flopping About Like a Gay Limp Voiced Bitch Ooooh! We're Going to lose this :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: Just because we aren't playing well.

Arsenal Till I Die!? aka: Mr Negative Woke from Frumpington. :coffeespit:
One: It’s an internet forum about football, OBG. I can express my opinion freely (even if you don’t like it),,so long as I don’t attack other members (which seems to be a sticking point for you).

Two: You’ve been given a long leash on here for your of labelling people nonces or peados etc before, I’ve never agreed with it because it could lead to the forum getting in trouble. Do better.

Three: Throwing around homophobic slurs is a real good look, OBG. Ironically in the same sentence you discussed constructive criticism.

Four: Shakespeare couldn’t have written it better himself. :roll: :lol:
I can't help it if you're just one of those NegativeCUN.Ts.
So you can’t help reacting to my opinions in an abusive, childish and homophobic way?

You’re embarrassing yourself, man. Do better.
Whatever :roll:

ps: Naaah Naah Naaah Naaah! C.unt.