Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Retro Gunner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Retro Gunner »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

City are bottling it. Pep needs to be fired. :lol:

Earlier I made a post on the Villa match thread and I hadn't read today's posts on this thread, but this is exactly what I was referring to... a typically goading, passive aggressive comment, trying to illicit a response.

Well fuck it, here's a response.

I was away on holiday last week, so wasn't on here posting, although I was keeping a bit of an eye on the posts being made. I had to smile at the usual suspects, you, Nutty and Wilson, giving it large about our elite manager and having a dig at the doubters, with Nutty even saying how we'd all be "eating humble pie" following our criticisms of Havertz. I remember him saying exactly that to me last season, that I'd be eating humble pie when Ramsdale helped us to win the league. I wonder how that prediction ended up? :oops:

Anyway, I was thinking that no response was the best option, because give the deluded rose tinters enough rope and they'll always hang themselves. Well, that got underway on Sunday, when the elite Arteta fucked up his team selection and picked his favourites.

I've seen you talking about the need to rotate, but that's bollocks in this case. You play your best side against Villa, who are a top 4 outfit, because take them lightly and you'll lose. If we're due to play Bayern on Weds, then so be it, pick the best eleven again. Even so, was it Kiwior that needed resting? I don't think so. It's simply that Zinchenko is Arteta's boy. Similarly Martinelli, he's missed football recently, so didn't need a rest, but he's always been the one most likely to be dropped when Cone Boy wants to shoe horn the blank firing Jesus and Havertz into the side.

Even if he genuinely felt the need to rest Kiwior, why not tell Zinchenko to play the same role as a conventional full back, rather than the ridiculous "inverted" roaming all over he park? So, rather than stick with the side and the formation that was beating teams by 4s and 5s, he changed the line up and disrupted the pattern and rhythm of play that had been working so well. That team would have included Havertz, but he fucked up by insisting on making room for for his City boys Jesus and Zinchenko, both of whom are fucking pony.

The Villa loss is 100% on Arteta and there's now a lot riding on the Bayern game and the rest of the season for you fan boys, because you've all gone out on a very long limb and if things pan out as usual, then we know where Nutty's humble pie will be heading again.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Did anyone see his presser when asked why he played Trossard instead on Martinelli.."because I am the manager and I pick the team" Arrogant prick..it was like Wenger behind a mask..I wish to fuck the journo had asked about the Ukrainian duds inclusion..

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Really poor team selection. Cannot comprehend why he deviated from what has made us so good in 2024. As soon as I saw the line up I started to worry. Haavertz is a false 9, and Zinchenko has been left behind (really is time to sell him).

As for the those piling in on Arteta. Its still Man City 73, Arsenal 71, Liverpool 71. If your upset because were not 10 point ahead of Pep's Man City team, and want a manager who can do that - guess what, they dont exist. Not Cunte, not De Dopi, not Allegshit. Its hard to win the league, its hard to keep us consistent performances.

So before anyone thinks about climbing under the rock to start with thier Arteta out shit again. Just dont alright. Because most of you start waffling when I ask about who would you replace him with.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:05 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm
Elite coach my bollox - schooled by emery AGAIN today :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You must have been creaming yourself to post that.

Just to prove I am half glass full, yesterday's result sits firmly at Arteta's door. You could even argue a bit of naivety and tactical nous was missing yesterday. He got away with the first half, that's when he should have changed things.

That still doesn't detract from what he has done since joining the club. I would rather be in title races than scraping around the Conference/Europa League.
Good points Nutty. I agree Arteta has improved us. But I think where we differ is you see him taking us to the top and I think he has found his level of being top 4 but not a major trophy winner. For me it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

Unless he wins the CL. Then it's a job for life! :lol: :wink:
Go on then, name a replacement.

Thats what I thought.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:38 pm
Get fucking rid. No top manager has so many blind spots with shit players. Lobotomy Clive all last season and before - and then CliveChenko this season. No idea how to manage in game. Elite my bollocks. :roll:
Xabi Alonso no good then? Just because you dont like a player personally, doesnt mean they are shit.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:05 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm
Elite coach my bollox - schooled by emery AGAIN today :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You must have been creaming yourself to post that.

Just to prove I am half glass full, yesterday's result sits firmly at Arteta's door. You could even argue a bit of naivety and tactical nous was missing yesterday. He got away with the first half, that's when he should have changed things.

That still doesn't detract from what he has done since joining the club. I would rather be in title races than scraping around the Conference/Europa League.
Good points Nutty. I agree Arteta has improved us. But I think where we differ is you see him taking us to the top and I think he has found his level of being top 4 but not a major trophy winner. For me it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

Unless he wins the CL. Then it's a job for life! :lol: :wink:
Go on then, name a replacement.

Thats what I thought.

You are a cock :roll:

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Imagine thinking a guy who is setting records for us needs to be sacked. :D it’s impossible to comprehend.

Brought us from a 10th place side to one competing for a title and playing for a space in a champions league semi final. Just look at where we were when he started to where we are now.

Klopp an outstanding manager only won the title once and needed a perfect run to do it. Are we really this fickle these days where we are making Liverpool fans look perfectly pragmatic compared to us. They must be cracking up at some of this stuff.

Also critically it’s patently obvious to anyone who watches Arsenal even from afar that this isn’t the culmination of the project yet. We aren’t done yet.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am
Imagine thinking a guy who is setting records for us needs to be sacked. :D it’s impossible to comprehend.
Yeah records!! That's what it's all about lads!!

Maybe we can win a treble record this season.

Take that city! You keep your trophies.

Klopp isn't an outstanding manager

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Brought us from a 10th place side to one competing for a title and playing for a space in a champions league semi final. Just look at where we were when he started to where we are now.

Klopp an outstanding manager only won the title once and needed a perfect run to do it. Are we really this fickle these days where we are making Liverpool fans look perfectly pragmatic compared to us. They must be cracking up at some of this stuff.

Also critically it’s patently obvious to anyone who watches Arsenal even from afar that this isn’t the culmination of the project yet. We aren’t done yet.
this is absolute nonsense.
you continually make out that we were this small struggling Premier League club when Arteta took over.

you seem to forget that even in the latter days of Wenger he was still actually winning trophies and doing ok in the league.

2014 FA Cup Winners
2015 FA Cup Winners
2016 Premier League Runners Up
2017 FA Cup Winners

This is Arteta's 5th season at Arsenal.
Since winning the FA Cup (with Emery's inherited team) he has won nothing, although to be fair we competed last season and finished 2nd.

The record he set last season though will be the one he will be most remembered for up until now - the record of being the team which spent the longest at the top of the table.....but didnt actually win it.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 am

you continually make out that we were this small struggling Premier League club when Arteta took over.

you seem to forget that even in the latter days of Wenger he was still actually winning trophies and doing ok in the league.

2014 FA Cup Winners
2015 FA Cup Winners
2017 FA Cup Winners

Since winning the FA Cup (with Emery's inherited team) he has won nothing, although to be fair we competed last season and finished 2nd.

The record he set last season though will be the one he will be most remembered for up until now - the record of being the team which spent the longest at the top of the table.....but didnt actually win it.
How hard is to understand ? We’ve had to gradually improve the squad season by season. When Ljungberg left his role he told the board to sell most of the squad as they had a shocking attitude.

He didn’t take over a side that had finished 2nd we were way down the league.

We were a mess at the start and there’s no harm admitting it. A complete rebuild was always going to be required which would take a while. Or do you believe in those early Arteta years we were going to win titles with Sokratis, Mustafi and Pepe. We had some of the worst players I recall in an Arsenal squad.

A few pots are required but there’s no point in burning the house down whilst we see continual progress.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:31 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

City are bottling it. Pep needs to be fired. :lol:
You can twist things as much as you like but the fact is the league is played over a season and not a calendar year.
Since the start of the season we have lost 5 matches and City just 3. City currently have 2 more points than us.

You play your best team in matches like yesterday, so you start Havertz up front and Kiwior at LB. It really isn’t that difficult.
The managers that make it more complicated generally are not elite level managers.
exactly...using fucking stats to back up a case.....thats gotta be the last resort

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am
People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.
And another one brainwashed by the hype of the Premier League (which I think is generally pretty weak this season actually).
In the 17 years from 1973 Liverpool won the league 11 times out of 17 and only once finished out of the top 2, not to even mention what they achieved in Europe. That is proper domination for you. Yes City are maybe getting there but they have only won the Champions League once, even Forest have a better record than them in that.

Considering the amount of money Pep has at City he wouldnt even figure in my top 10 of greatest managers

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

And another one brainwashed by the hype of the Premier League (which I think is generally pretty weak this season actually).
In the 17 years from 1973 Liverpool won the league 11 times out of 17 and only once finished out of the top 2, not to even mention what they achieved in Europe. That is proper domination for you. Yes City are maybe getting there but they have only won the Champions League once, even Forest have a better record than them in that.

Considering the amount of money Pep has at City he wouldnt even figure in my top 10 of greatest managers

Your not trendy and hip not putting Pep in your top 10 managers of all time. Your mental.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 am

2014 FA Cup Winners
2015 FA Cup Winners
2017 FA Cup Winners

How hard is to understand ? We’ve had to gradually improve the squad season by season. When Ljungberg left his role he told the board to sell most of the squad as they had a shocking attitude.

He didn’t take over a side that had finished 2nd we were way down the league.

We were a mess at the start and there’s no harm admitting it. A complete rebuild was always going to be required which would take a while. Or do you believe in those early Arteta years we were going to win titles with Sokratis, Mustafi and Pepe. We had some of the worst players I recall in an Arsenal squad.

A few pots are required but there’s no point in burning the house down whilst we see continual progress.
Areteta took over in December 2019, a few months after Emery had taken the club to 5th in the Premier League and runners up in the Europa League.