European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:07 pm
Driven totally by the wankers at Barca and Real Madrid, two broke football clubs who are desperate to up their revenue, they have nothing to lose in a shit league.
Everyone should just say no and in a couple of years time Barca will be out of business. :barscarf:
I'd love to see that happen. I fucking hate Spanish football and Italian football because of the fucking pathetic bitch carry on of their players. Diving, injury feigning, fucking dildo-breath cùnts. :censored:

And yes I know diving is now a feature of the PL etc blah blah blah, but it all started with these cùnts and the south American ladyboy divers decades ago. :roll:

I always loved that English football did not stoop to that level back in the day. 8)

And if even one cùnt comes on here and spits out some shit about "well in fairness I once saw Charlie George take a dive in 1971" I am fucking banning you! :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 pm
TeeCee wrote:
Driven totally by the wankers at Barca and Real Madrid, two broke football clubs who are desperate to up their revenue, they have nothing to lose in a shit league.
Everyone should just say no and in a couple of years time Barca will be out of business. :barscarf:
I'd love to see that happen. I fucking hate Spanish football and Italian football because of the fucking pathetic bitch carry on of their players. Diving, injury feigning, fucking dildo-breath cùnts. :censored:

And yes I know diving is now a feature of the PL etc blah blah blah, but it all started with these cùnts and the south American ladyboy divers decades ago. :roll:

I always loved that English football did not stoop to that level back in the day. 8)

And if even one cùnt comes on here and spits out some shit about "well in fairness I once saw Charlie George take a dive in 1971" I am fucking banning you! :lol: :wink:

Hmmm, well I ought to say that back in 1971 I once saw Char.........oh, hang on........

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:29 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Hmmm, well I ought to say that back in 1971 I once saw Char.........oh, hang on........
:lol: :lol:

I can always rely on you Retro. 8)

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:

Let me start by saying that I am as totally against this idea as the rest of you are, but let me also play devils advocate here for a minute -

This concept is (in my opinion at least) driven completely by clubs in europe who are pissed off at being left so far behind by the money rich premier league - I cant blame them either. You had once super powerful clubs in Italy (juve and milan clubs) and other clubs like marseille, benfica, porto, ajax, psv etc who know that even the poorest clubs in the premier league have the money and pulling power to take their players nowadays, and that cant sit right with them. Premier league clubs have for the most part dominated the champs league for years, and the gap between the mega wealthy premier league clubs and the rest is only going to get bigger. Even though the quality of the premier league product is going down in recent years, the tv money somehow seems to be only getting higher, so how are clubs in these other leagues ever going to catch up ? People over here and in england mock both Glasgow clubs and say that they wouldnt survive in the premier league, but my response has always been that if you give those two clubs 10 years of premier league tv money allied to 60k attendance at every home game, then come back to me and see where they are. Fans of the big clubs in premier league have no concept of how fans of the smaller clubs feel knowing that unless they are bought by an oil rich nation, they will never challenge for the big trophies in england ever again - this isnt the landscape that many of these fans grew up with when giant killings were common place. These european clubs want to level the playing field and compete in competitions where their income is no longer dwarfed by their rival clubs, and even though I dont want it to happen, I still dont blame them and understand their thinking

One of the big reasons why I am such a big NFL fan is the financial parity that is the backbone of their system - it isnt workable in our footie and I know that, but the concept that all clubs have the same financial budget is brilliant imo

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:58 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Let me start by saying that I am as totally against this idea as the rest of you are, but let me also play devils advocate here for a minute -

This concept is (in my opinion at least) driven completely by clubs in europe who are pissed off at being left so far behind by the money rich premier league - I cant blame them either. You had once super powerful clubs in Italy (juve and milan clubs) and other clubs like marseille, benfica, porto, ajax, psv etc who know that even the poorest clubs in the premier league have the money and pulling power to take their players nowadays, and that cant sit right with them. Premier league clubs have for the most part dominated the champs league for years, and the gap between the mega wealthy premier league clubs and the rest is only going to get bigger. Even though the quality of the premier league product is going down in recent years, the tv money somehow seems to be only getting higher, so how are clubs in these other leagues ever going to catch up ? People over here and in england mock both Glasgow clubs and say that they wouldnt survive in the premier league, but my response has always been that if you give those two clubs 10 years of premier league tv money allied to 60k attendance at every home game, then come back to me and see where they are. Fans of the big clubs in premier league have no concept of how fans of the smaller clubs feel knowing that unless they are bought by an oil rich nation, they will never challenge for the big trophies in england ever again - this isnt the landscape that many of these fans grew up with when giant killings were common place. These european clubs want to level the playing field and compete in competitions where their income is no longer dwarfed by their rival clubs, and even though I dont want it to happen, I still dont blame them and understand their thinking

One of the big reasons why I am such a big NFL fan is the financial parity that is the backbone of their system - it isnt workable in our footie and I know that, but the concept that all clubs have the same financial budget is brilliant imo
I agree wholeheartedly

I can remember in the mid to late 70’s clubs such as WBA, Ipswich, Forest, Derby, were all decent outfits presently only 1 of them is even in the top tier.

It’s the same half dozen or so clubs that get relegated that get promoted that get relegated again.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I can't see how any English club should be in favour given how much they whine about the existing fixture list.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

it was far better before when there was LESS european football.
i certainly cant be doing with any more of it.

i was opposed to Brexit but to be honest in football I would be quite happy for the english clubs to go and tell the rest of Europe to FUCK OFF - revert back to a 22 team top league, restore replays to all FA Cup matches and make that the main cup competition. It would make for much more enjoyable seasons.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It always fascinates me that the BBC have to pay to show a highlight package. . In fact The Premier league should pay them for the advertising and keeping their product in the public eye..
Eventually the players first will go and then the clubs will follow as their gravy train dries up as the Saudi teams join and the English teams will not be missed as the City group and Newcastle will put teams there.
Money will out in the end just as it has in Cricket and Golf.