Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Aaron Ramsdale...worrying

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Go to the 1:18 mark, and watch this in its full and this.

He’s not that good to be that cocky. The first and third videos annoys me the most, the ball was still in play and he’s giving a quick dig at the Brentford fans because they hit the post. Why is that his first thought?

RJG23

Post by RJG23 »

Thought he had a solid game but them few instances of giving the home fans some shit really wound me up. Do it at 3 up not 1-0

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:34 pm
Go to the 1:18 mark, and watch this in its full and this.

He’s not that good to be that cocky. The first and third videos annoys me the most, the ball was still in play and he’s giving a quick dig at the Brentford fans because they hit the post. Why is that his first thought?
For too concerned with sticking his tounge out after every save and playing to the crowd.
Decent shot stopper but Raya will surpass him

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Apparently he was getting some real abuse from the Brentford fans "Not good enough for No 1 etc etc"...So whilst I agree he needs to keep his focus on the game in hand (pun intended :wink: ) It is understandable that he gives some stick back.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:47 pm
Apparently he was getting some real abuse from the Brentford fans "Not good enough for No 1 etc etc"...So whilst I agree he needs to keep his focus on the game in hand (pun intended :wink: ) It is understandable that he gives some stick back.
He literally turns his back on the ball while it was in play, to give them some stick. Yes, it was for a second but things change in a heartbeat and he could have been caught out. It’s poor from a professional if he’s more focused on giving some stick back to opposition fans than the game itself.

Let’s also factor in that he’s under huge pressure following being dropped. If he’s genuinely serious about wanting to be better than what he is now then he needs to cut the crap and focus on improving.

OneBardGooner

Re:David Raya Even More Worrying

Post by OneBardGooner »

Raya has been very hit & miss (no pun intended) and IS very worrying, if Arteta doesn't drop Raya and play Rambo in the Sheff Utd game it will (for me) definitely show that; just like ESR he has no future at Arsenal... :?

OneBardGooner

Re: Raya Even More Worrying ?

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Come back Ramsdale - all is forgiven! :shock: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:53 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's Retro !??? :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I made it clear on the last two match threads and elsewhere, that Raya has been a horror show and Ramsdale needs to be back in goal.

That is, however, Hobson's choice. Raya being crap so far, doesn't suddenly make Ramsdale a better goalkeeper, only a better goalkeeper than Raya. Neither are good enough for a team wanting to compete at the top level. I've said it before, but we sold the bset keeper we had. Martinez is way in front of Leno and the two we've got now. Another fuck up by El Basque.

From what we've seen of Raya so far, it's hard to think that it's just a very shaky start and that there's a top quality keeper about to emerge, but I'd give him the next two league games and then make a decision. He shouldn't be too tested against Sheff Utd (I hope!), but the pressure will definitely be on away to the Geordies and at that point, if he's dodgy again, he should be dropped and sent back to Brentford at the end of the season.

Oh and if that is what transpires, then the goalkeeping coach that recommended Runnarson and Raya needs sacking.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:51 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I made it clear on the last two match threads and elsewhere, that Raya has been a horror show and Ramsdale needs to be back in goal.

That is, however, Hobson's choice. Raya being crap so far, doesn't suddenly make Ramsdale a better goalkeeper, only a better goalkeeper than Raya. Neither are good enough for a team wanting to compete at the top level. I've said it before, but we sold the bset keeper we had. Martinez is way in front of Leno and the two we've got now. Another fuck up by El Basque.

From what we've seen of Raya so far, it's hard to think that it's just a very shaky start and that there's a top quality keeper about to emerge, but I'd give him the next two league games and then make a decision. He shouldn't be too tested against Sheff Utd (I hope!), but the pressure will definitely be on away to the Geordies and at that point, if he's dodgy again, he should be dropped and sent back to Brentford at the end of the season.

Oh and if that is what transpires, then the goalkeeping coach that recommended Runnarson and Raya needs sacking.
Only messing wit yer Retro chillax dude! :cheekkiss: :wink: We iz all Gooners after all. :barscarf:

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:01 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:51 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Only messing wit yer Retro chillax dude! :cheekkiss: :wink: We iz all Gooners after all. :barscarf:
This is what worries me. Is the guy on drugs or an alchy? He definitely hasn't ever recommended anyone great.

Midz

Post by Midz »

As a matter of interest just who could we buy if we wanted a really top GK?

Step

Post by Step »

Arteta simply trying to be too clever. As noted in the first post on this thread all Gooners knew Martinez was better than Leno . All bar Arteta that is. Ramsdale needs a run in the team as Raya has not cemented it yet. Playing out from the back supposedly his strong point but he seems worse than Ramsdale in this respect. Also felt Arteta was wrong to keep Nketiah and let Balogoun go. Not convinced at all by Arteta 9n case you haven't guessed!!

augie

Post by augie »

Step wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:45 pm
Arteta simply trying to be too clever. As noted in the first post on this thread all Gooners knew Martinez was better than Leno . All bar Arteta that is. Ramsdale needs a run in the team as Raya has not cemented it yet. Playing out from the back supposedly his strong point but he seems worse than Ramsdale in this respect. Also felt Arteta was wrong to keep Nketiah and let Balogoun go. Not convinced at all by Arteta 9n case you haven't guessed!!

No I dont agree with that at all - its the old adage that you are somehow a better player when you are not playing, and the same thing is happening all over again with ramsdale and raya. Martinez had a decade to establish himself at AFC and couldnt do it, and went on loan several times and didnt impress any club to come in and bid for him - he had a golden spell during covid (with empty stadiums) but even since he joined villa some of the mistakes he has made and goals he has conceded have been woeful. Not one of the 4 keepers mentioned are good enough imo

I go back to an earlier point I made, and that is that as soon as keepers started to be judged by how good they are with the ball at their feet, then football went down a slippy/wrong path - look around europe and try and figure out how many quality keepers there are in the modern football world, and I will guarantee you that you will struggle to name half a dozen. There are keepers who are great shot stoppers and can command their area on crosses, but are average/poor with the ball at their feet and fans will jump on their back everytime they make a mistake - my philosophy on management is that managers should try play a system that suits the players best, but trying to force a system where a keeper is expected to be like chippy brady with the ball at his feet is destined to fail imo