Odegaard appreciation thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Odegaard appreciation thread

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:02 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am
He has to be the bargain of the century.

Madrid must be kicking themselves

Stop man ffs - martinelli cost £6m and odeargod cost £30m so he isnt even the biggest bargain in the current team, much less the bargain of the century.

Credit where it is due, wenger's signing of anelka is still BY FAR the biggest bargain signing AFC have made in my lifetime (I know technically that was the last century btw)
Lad you need to calm down :lol:

It's just a saying ffs

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:47 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:02 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:19 am
He has to be the bargain of the century.

Madrid must be kicking themselves

Stop man ffs - martinelli cost £6m and odeargod cost £30m so he isnt even the biggest bargain in the current team, much less the bargain of the century.

Credit where it is due, wenger's signing of anelka is still BY FAR the biggest bargain signing AFC have made in my lifetime (I know technically that was the last century btw)
Lad you need to calm down :lol:

It's just a saying ffs

As the saying goes, say what you mean and mean what you say 8)

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Yeah….he’s decent

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Don’t pay any attention to Augie, his idea of a top class midfielder is fucking sideshow Guendouzi

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:12 am
I'm still a tad unconvinced that Odegaard is the type of captain to lead us to trophies, but when he is on it he is a superb footballer and has some serious magical touches and vision too. He can be amazing at times and I'm glad he signed the extension.

But then he has a tendency to disappear against tougher or better opposition. Hopefully this season he puts that to bed and we see him at his best every game. 8)

I think Sunday against the middlesex trophy dodgers will be a telling game in my love/hate feelings towards him. Hoping he leads us to a beautiful 4 nil prison style raping of the scum. 8)
He has turned up in major games v Scum away, Newcastle away, Scum home, Chelsea home / away off the top of my head.

When we have played City in the crucial matches home and away last season we as a team have been outplayed and that is where we need to improve to have any chance of the title.

What I really like about him is the pre assist pass that he spots, similar to Bergkamp, it’s the killer ball, but doesn’t get credited with the assist.
The last thing I want to do is turn this into a slag off Odegaard thread :lol: But you could equally list as many games where he did not turn up. Which is my point. He has the ability. He has the vision. He has the touch. All he needs now is the consistency. Which by the way I think he will get. Well, I hope so anyway.

This season is huge for him. He has to achieve that level of consistency especially in the big games.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:32 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I'm still a tad unconvinced that Odegaard is the type of captain to lead us to trophies, but when he is on it he is a superb footballer and has some serious magical touches and vision too. He can be amazing at times and I'm glad he signed the extension.

But then he has a tendency to disappear against tougher or better opposition. Hopefully this season he puts that to bed and we see him at his best every game. 8)

I think Sunday against the middlesex trophy dodgers will be a telling game in my love/hate feelings towards him. Hoping he leads us to a beautiful 4 nil prison style raping of the scum. 8)
He has turned up in major games v Scum away, Newcastle away, Scum home, Chelsea home / away off the top of my head.

When we have played City in the crucial matches home and away last season we as a team have been outplayed and that is where we need to improve to have any chance of the title.

What I really like about him is the pre assist pass that he spots, similar to Bergkamp, it’s the killer ball, but doesn’t get credited with the assist.
The last thing I want to do is turn this into a slag off Odegaard thread :lol: But you could equally list as many games where he did not turn up. Which is my point. He has the ability. He has the vision. He has the touch. All he needs now is the consistency. Which by the way I think he will get. Well, I hope so anyway.

This season is huge for him. He has to achieve that level of consistency especially in the big games.

Says who ? Not being funny here buddy, but a lot of Gooners have shown their willingness to turn a blind eye to some of his failings as it is, and in their eyes he is already world class :rubchin: Lets look at our performances and reactions so far this season - we were absolute cack in our first 3 games and no player could be judged as playing well, but those 3 games dont seem to exist now that we got a massive but lucky win against the manure scum and thrashed a shit psv team :? Where was the world class odeargod in the games when we were struggling ? Some fans go wildly ott when we win

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:38 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Says who ? Not being funny here buddy, but a lot of Gooners have shown their willingness to turn a blind eye to some of his failings as it is, and in their eyes he is already world class :rubchin: Lets look at our performances and reactions so far this season - we were absolute cack in our first 3 games and no player could be judged as playing well, but those 3 games dont seem to exist now that we got a massive but lucky win against the manure scum and thrashed a shit psv team :? Where was the world class odeargod in the games when we were struggling ? Some fans go wildly ott when we win
"Says who" what? I'm not sure I get the question. I'm certainly not blind to our failings and weaknesses. And I don't think he is world class because he is so inconsistent.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The Name is Odegaard; Martin Oh Oh Degaard. :D 8)

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:12 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:38 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

"Says who" what? I'm not sure I get the question. I'm certainly not blind to our failings and weaknesses. And I don't think he is world class because he is so inconsistent.

Wasnt having a go at you our midget mod - I was merely pointing to the fact that it seems that he has already been annointed as world class by many who either dont or wont recognise those failings

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I can see all sides of this debate and probably end up where DB is.

Take me back 2 years and I had genuine doubts that Odegaard would ever be more than a gifted technical player that flattered to deceive. Back then, I would have picked ESR over him every time. Most of those doubts were because he tended to disappear in the big games or when the going got tough in a match. Now, however, he really is integral to the side and is something of a metronome that dictates our play. If he can genuinely show up for every game and especially the big games where it matters, then he really can become a "super top quality" player to take us "to the next level". :lol:

He is, undoubtedly, a class act on the ball and while I don't expect him to be steaming into all manner of challenges...he isn't built for that and simply isn't that type of footballer....I do expect him to dig in where necessary and stamp his authority on a game with his quality.

Btw, none of this is to do down ESR. Had he not spent the last 2 years sidelined through a mix of injury and the manager's anti bias, then who knows, I might well still be favouring him over Odegaard. Sadly we'll never know.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sadly I think If ESR doesn't get some deserved time/starts in games this season he will definitely be Off. He has Huge Potential so there will be no shortage of Admirers / Buyers. Just sad that his injury came at a time when the whole squad was in re-build/flux and he probably missed out on an opportunity to Cement a permanent place in the starting line-up. Besides the fact he is a Gooner through and through. :?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

He's a fabulously gifted footballer and his performances have fully merited that new deal. My only doubt about him now is in the big away games where he fades too quickly for my liking - from 60 minutes onwards the game seems to pass him by, especially when we're under the pump. That aside he's been superb this past year and a bit and we needed a player from midfield to start weighing in with goals and assists. I'm pleased that he's extended his stay and if he continues with his recent development, we could have one hell of a player on our hands by the time he's in his late 20s

augie

Post by augie »

I'm looking forward to see all our superfans creaming themselves over another anonymous display today from our fearless captain :roll:
He is the epitomy of this team - gutless when leaders need to stand up :censored: :censored: :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

And that was the other side of Odegaard. Fucking anonymous against the scum today.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:29 am

The Name is Odegaard; Martin Oh Oh Degaard. :D 8)
And theCUNT didn't turn up today (again). :banghead: