Odegaard appreciation thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Odegaard appreciation thread

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:02 pm
I'm looking forward to see all our superfans creaming themselves over another anonymous display today from our fearless captain :roll:
He is the epitomy of this team - gutless when leaders need to stand up :censored: :censored: :censored:
Nkt as extreme view as you but would like to hear nutty take on today.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Exactly as mentioned before the game - a very gifted player but one who too often goes missing when the going gets tough. Today was another of those occasions, but it wasn't just him today.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:45 pm
Exactly as mentioned before the game - a very gifted player but one who too often goes missing when the going gets tough. Today was another of those occasions, but it wasn't just him today.

But it is him though Steve O - he has a ton of previous in that regard, and some fans need to face facts that this is exactly the type of player that he is. Like a lot of players in history, he can make a name for himself and have a great career standing out in games against the likes of villa, everton, psv (for example), but the really great top quality players simply do not go missing in the big games as often as he does. The french cock would label me old fashioned, but for me the captain's role in any team is huge, and you cannot have a bottle job as captain if you want to win big trophies

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:54 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

But it is him though Steve O - he has a ton of previous in that regard, and some fans need to face facts that this is exactly the type of player that he is. Like a lot of players in history, he can make a name for himself and have a great career standing out in games against the likes of villa, everton, psv (for example), but the really great top quality players simply do not go missing in the big games as often as he does. The french cock would label me old fashioned, but for me the captain's role in any team is huge, and you cannot have a bottle job as captain if you want to win big trophies
I agree with all of that mate. What I'm saying is that it isn't just him who goes missing. Saka was dreadful AGAIN and I know you agree on that. Eddie shite again against a better team and defenders. Rice was sorely missed in the second half.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Weren't exactly the same comments made about Reyes and Pires 20 years ago? People look at individuals in a vacuum. The team needs to be set up in a way that allows these players to thrive. I could see we had problems with Rice being the sole combative midfielder yesterday (and thats before the news of his back injury came out) when he was facing Bissouma and Sarr in the first half. Soon as you have that imbalance the creatives start to struggle.

We need both Partey and Rice fit for these games, and then Odegaard will showcase more of his talent when we win our battles in midfield.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:34 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Weren't exactly the same comments made about Reyes and Pires 20 years ago? People look at individuals in a vacuum. The team needs to be set up in a way that allows these players to thrive. I could see we had problems with Rice being the sole combative midfielder yesterday (and thats before the news of his back injury came out) when he was facing Bissouma and Sarr in the first half. Soon as you have that imbalance the creatives start to struggle.

We need both Partey and Rice fit for these games, and then Odegaard will showcase more of his talent when we win our battles in midfield.

Genuine top quality footballers lift their team when they are struggling - this guy goes missing. Jorginho fcuked up royally yesterday for their second goal and you could clearly see that it affected his confidence, but tbf to him he didnt hide or stop looking for the ball, and certainly didnt pull out of 50/50 tackles like odeargod did.
You cant have it every way buddy - you cant say that when he shines it is down to him and his brilliance, but when he is shit it is everyone else's fault :roll:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:15 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:34 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Genuine top quality footballers lift their team when they are struggling - this guy goes missing. Jorginho fcuked up royally yesterday for their second goal and you could clearly see that it affected his confidence, but tbf to him he didnt hide or stop looking for the ball, and certainly didnt pull out of 50/50 tackles like odeargod did.
You cant have it every way buddy - you cant say that when he shines it is down to him and his brilliance, but when he is shit it is everyone else's fault :roll:
What and Pires never went missing? Especially when he first came to the club. Make it make sense Augie. Pires thrived because he had ball winners all around him. When he got kicked, whoever kicked him got it back. We have them at the moment, but the best ones are injured right now. And that's why we got overrun yesterday after the first 30 mins.

Not forgetting we have three games a week and they don't.

augie

Post by augie »

Pires was a winger and by their very nature depend on others to feed them the ball - odeargod is a central midfielder whose job it is to get on the ball and dictate games and he doesnt do that in big games.
Btw pires did indeed struggle when he came to the club first as you said - however this is odeargod's THIRD season with us and he still hasnt outgrown that awol habit

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Got burgled this week in broad daylight.

Considering half of the squad are his neighbours it could affect team morale.

augie

Post by augie »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:37 pm

That dog he was showing off on social media last week must be fcuk all use so :roll:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:57 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:

That dog he was showing off on social media last week must be fcuk all use so :roll:
Should get one like Reiss Nelson (who lives 30 seconds away from him).

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

BobbyPires7 wrote:

If that affects the team morale then they don't deserve to win anything.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:18 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:

Have you ever had your house burgled?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:58 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

I bet he has had his back door smashed in a few times :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:58 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
BobbyPires7 wrote:

I remember when Brad Pitt and Jon Bon Jovi had their houses burgled and man they were pissed off. They live 29 seconds away from me. :lol: