John Hollins RIP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner265

John Hollins RIP

Post by gooner265 »

We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of John Hollins.

Our Player of the Year in 1981/82, John was also a European Cup Winners' Cup finalist in 1980 and was awarded an MBE in 1982. John scored 13 times in 173 games with us.

Rest in peace ❤️ AFC

Only saw him play on tv as was too young , seemed a good guy though Rip

John F

Re: John Hollins RIP

Post by John F »

I saw him play on a regular basis. His best times were with the chavs. He was not a bad player for us, nothing spectacular just did his Job. He did come across as a fair player and a decent hardworking chap.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I liked him, great personality too. When the north bank sung his name he'd always stand there looking at us, often cupping his ear so we'd sing it louder.

RIP Johnny.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:07 pm
We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of John Hollins.

Our Player of the Year in 1981/82, John was also a European Cup Winners' Cup finalist in 1980 and was awarded an MBE in 1982. John scored 13 times in 173 games with us.

Rest in peace ❤️ AFC

Only saw him play on tv as was too young , seemed a good guy though Rip
Before my time of attending regularly but remember him.

Came to us very late in his career as seem to recall.

Sad times RIP John ❤️

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

RIP John Hollins. :barscarf:

He actually scored his penalty against Valencia, after coming on halfway though extra time. :barscarf:

Unlike Rix the fecking Nazi Chav nonce! :banghead: :banghead: :box: :censored: :censored: :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sad news indeed. I remember watching those pennos against Valencia and being devestated that night - only 5 days after the murdering shammers did us in the FA Cup final too.

I recall him being a strong but not brilliant player, a hard worker and an honest player but he was about 5 years or so ahead of when I started going to games and back then there was not much TV coverage.

RIP John. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

:( :( :(

The first footballers autograph I ever got....without even meeting him

He lived in Bromley where I grew up and my Mum bumped into him in Lloyds Bank and asked him to sign one of the slips of paper for me. Got it in the loft somewhere with a load of old programmes

To Steve, all the best, John Hollins

Apparently a really nice guy

RIP John 🙏 and thanks for something that meant a lot to a 10 year old boy at the time

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Always liked John Hollins, even when he was at the chavs. Seemed to be a genuinely nice guy and was an honest, hard working midfielder, but could play a bit too. Almost won the title with QPR in 1975 when our Frank was there....lost it to Liverpool on the last day of the season if memory serves.

Came to us in very much his twilight years, but played regularly and never let us down.

One of the good guys.

RIP John.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Sad news. John was a true pro with all teams he played for. Even when he was a kid !. R.I.P. JH - :barscarf: :barscarf:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

He lived in Bromley where I grew up and my Mum bumped into him in Lloyds Bank and asked him to sign one of the slips of paper for me.

Wasn't a cheque was it ?