Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

nut flush gooner

Re: Declan Rice

Post by nut flush gooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:45 pm
He wants Arsenal. As does his Dad. Who is the driving force…
The bookies disagree, the odds flipped from us Odds on yesterday morning to City as soon as it was clear they were gonna bid.

The only chance we have now is to up our last offer which was matched by them in fewer installments.

We could easily lose Partey this summer, and if we don't get a replacement we are back to where we were 3 years ago, a team full of flair players but no steel in the middle of the park. Expect to get bullied in quite a few away games. We need to get a world class DM, Rice is exactly that.

People saying he's not worth this or that, are you paying for him? Love how some fans don't get close to the Emirates, and think they can dictate how the club spends its money.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:30 pm
Awesome defensive midfielder, what we've needed for 30 years, takes us to another level on his own let alone alongside other signings. If you want to compete you have to buy the best and pay the money. For years Arsenal have tried to buy cheaper, bought 2nd or 3rd tier players and that's ok for fighting for 4th to 6th place. We want more so fuck the cheap, 'lesser' options. We need Rice even at 100m.

As DB10 says, the forum does seem to be split on signing declan rice (not in an aggressive way I might add), but I have to say that while some do want to sign him, none seem to be in a sexual frenzy to sign him like you are buddy :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:54 am
TeeCee wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:30 pm
Awesome defensive midfielder, what we've needed for 30 years, takes us to another level on his own let alone alongside other signings. If you want to compete you have to buy the best and pay the money. For years Arsenal have tried to buy cheaper, bought 2nd or 3rd tier players and that's ok for fighting for 4th to 6th place. We want more so fuck the cheap, 'lesser' options. We need Rice even at 100m.

As DB10 says, the forum does seem to be split on signing declan rice (not in an aggressive way I might add), but I have to say that while some do want to sign him, none seem to be in a sexual frenzy to sign him like you are buddy :lol:
Even the resident pervert :wink: Rodders on here doesn't find this signing sexy

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Amrabat made Rice look ordinary.

fivetothree

Post by fivetothree »

Yes. He is an excellent player - the fee is toppy but its an english player at a PL club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:23 am
And the flip side is that we don't get the 'top' players available and end up doing 60m on Zubimendi or some other substandard foreign player who'll take a year to 'settle' and then want to leave a year later because it 'rains too much' in London. For years we've looked on enviously at the big boys picking up top tier players whilst we don't.......
And there is the rub. Rice is not a top tier player. He is a good player with moments of greatness, but he will not control the midfield and dominate games to the extent that he improves us enough.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:04 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:45 pm
He wants Arsenal. As does his Dad. Who is the driving force…
The bookies disagree, the odds flipped from us Odds on yesterday morning to City as soon as it was clear they were gonna bid.

The only chance we have now is to up our last offer which was matched by them in fewer installments.

We could easily lose Partey this summer, and if we don't get a replacement we are back to where we were 3 years ago, a team full of flair players but no steel in the middle of the park. Expect to get bullied in quite a few away games. We need to get a world class DM, Rice is exactly that.

People saying he's not worth this or that, are you paying for him? Love how some fans don't get close to the Emirates, and think they can dictate how the club spends its money.
What? How is anyone dictating anything? It's a forum. People are expressing their opinions, Nutty.

But also, is a fan that attends now (and maybe has only attended regularly for let's say 2 seasons) more entitled to express an opinion than a fan that maybe now does not attend but has attended every game for over 40 years?

Then there's the so called "foreign" fans that attend maybe not as regularly as the superfan that lives in Islington for example, but that foreign based fan spends ten times a year more attending games. Is one of them more entitled to express their opinion than the other?

What's the qualifier to be entitled to an opinion on the club?

And here's the best bit: the club gives absolutely no fucks about you, me, the superfans, the foreigners, or anyone else. We are all just customers to them.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think Rice has come on leaps and bounds the last 2 years. He's 24, already a top player and in 3 years time we will be making a big profit on the 100m when Madrid come for him.

I just think he's perfect for Arsenal. I really feel he'll be a great signing.
We don't need another midfielder who can hit 40 yard passes or someone who scored 10 goals a season (both would be nice of course) our midfield has all that...... We need a destroyer and he does it better than anyone pretty much.....but he is more than just a destroyer anyway.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:42 pm
I think Rice has come on leaps and bounds the last 2 years. He's 24, already a top player and in 3 years time we will be making a big profit on the 100m when Madrid come for him.

I just think he's perfect for Arsenal. I really feel he'll be a great signing.
We don't need another midfielder who can hit 40 yard passes or someone who scored 10 goals a season (both would be nice of course) our midfield has all that...... We need a destroyer and he does it better than anyone pretty much.....but he is more than just a destroyer anyway.
See I wouldn’t classify him as a destroyer- more like making interceptions by good anticipation and reading the game to be in the right place at the right time. He carries the ball forward very well too.

For me the destroyer would be Caicedo and Lavia, big physical guys who love a battle

I remember wee Declan bouncing off Saka in the home match last year and falling on his arse.

That said. I do want us to sign him, if nothing more than to see West Ham relegated

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Firstly, don't think he's £100million pound player. Sure he's a very good one but I'd expect too be buying a Vieira (the good one :wink: ) regen in todays market at that price and not someone who doesn't pull up any trees whenever I see him playing in a poor West Ham team.

Secondly, I keep seeing it being reported that Arteta touts him as a future Arsenal captain material. Great, but we've already got a captain and I'm sure as shit bet he wouldn't be too happy having it taken off him. He may divide some opinion on here, but I personally think Odegaard is an absolutely brilliant player and essential to the team and the style we play, and if we start pissing off a player who we couldn't afford to lose and would be paying a lot more than £100 million to replace, then is it really worth it?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:55 pm
Firstly, don't think he's £100million pound player. Sure he's a very good one but I'd expect too be buying a Vieira (the good one :wink: ) regen in todays market at that price and not someone who doesn't pull up any trees whenever I see him playing in a poor West Ham team.

Secondly, I keep seeing it being reported that Arteta touts him as a future Arsenal captain material. Great, but we've already got a captain and I'm sure as shit bet he wouldn't be too happy having it taken off him. He may divide some opinion on here, but I personally think Odegaard is an absolutely brilliant player and essential to the team and the style we play, and if we start pissing off a player who we couldn't afford to lose and would be paying a lot more than £100 million to replace, then is it really worth it?
I thought the same to be fair, but until that comes out of Arteta’s mouth about Rice becoming captain it’s just paper talk.

I could well imagine him being appointed vice captain and that would mean he would by default be captain for some matches anyway.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Do I want Rice yes or no? answer = yes

Do I think the price is too much? = yes but if that's what we have to pay then so be it.

I'd rather have him than not.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

From what I have been told Rice is nervous about City’s charges. Thinks his career will be tarnished if they are found guilty. Sounds like he is a bit old school in that he can see what City are all about.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 pm
From what I have been told Rice is nervous about City’s charges. Thinks his career will be tarnished if they are found guilty. Sounds like he is a bit old school in that he can see what City are all about.

Sorry for being a cynical bastard, but if he’s genuinely worried about joining City, then it’s because he knows he won’t get much game time.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rice for 100m or Xhaka to sign a new contract :rubchin:

:lol: