Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

gooner265

Welcome Declan Rice

Post by gooner265 »

Quick poll that can be merged into a welcome DB if he arrives :-P
Just want to guage the split, forget the cost as it's irrelevant to us .
Last edited by gooner265 on Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodders999

Re: Declan Rice

Post by rodders999 »

Voted no, not because of the valuation but because he’s shite.

Someone’s gonna get their pants pulled down this summer, just pray it’s not us.

Oh and DB is going to shit his fucking undies when he sees this thread 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sadly there isn't a "not bothered" option

John F

Post by John F »

If the transfer fee is to be ignored I Voted yes because he is a good player. If the question was is he worth spending 100 mil on then I would say no.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

We can't ignore the cost, because it's vital to how the transfer is perceived.

If someone offered Rice as an addition to the squad for 30-40 million, then I'd probably take him, BUT I'd still want a couple of top quality centre mids added. If the 30-40 million prevented us adding two better centre mids, then I wouldn't take Rice.

However, paying the figures being quoted (let's say between 80-100 million), then it's a "no" all day long from me.

Bottom line for me is that he's an average (at best marginally above average) footballer and not good enough to elevate us to the level we're supposed to be aiming for. Way better than Xhaka of course, but that's the lowest of bars and we should be buying better quality.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:58 pm

:lol: thats why I said it can be merged into a welcome thread after but he'll probably overrule me :lol:
It could also free up the transfer thread a bit for other stories :wink:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:05 pm

If someone offered Rice as an addition to the squad for 30-40 million, then I'd probably take him, BUT I'd still want a couple of top quality centre mids added. If the 30-40 million prevented us adding two better centre mids, then I wouldn't take Rice.

However, paying the figures being quoted (let's say between 80-100 million), then it's a "no" all day long from me.

Bottom line for me is that he's an average (at best marginally above average) footballer and not good enough to elevate us to the level we're supposed to be aiming for. Way better than Xhaka of course, but that's the lowest of bars and we should be buying better quality.
Not to me , as Sreve O has said before its not our money, the days if being compliant to ffp or moralistic have well gone.
The reason we're negotiating a structured deal is so we can add other additions to the squad as the Kronkes wont part with their Billions.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Yes as I think he will add to our squad.
And defiantly an improvement on Xhaka, but then I had Smith Rowe / Trossard / Jesus ( If we bought or played an out an out striker )playing that role.

Is he worth £100m no way, I just can’t see him influencing games enough to justify that fee.

But then I wouldn’t have paid £50m for Ben White

If we only get Rice and not Caicedo or Lavia in addition because we overspent on Rice, then it’s not enough to improve our midfield.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:15 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Not to me , as Sreve O has said before its not our money, the days if being compliant to ffp or moralistic have well gone.
The reason we're negotiating a structured deal is so we can add other additions to the squad as the Kronkes wont part with their Billions.

Do you seriously imagine that spending 100 million on Rice, or anyone else, wouldn't impact our ability to spend elsewhere. Regardless of FFP and/or morals...and believe me, neither of those things were anything to do with us not spending....you've just said that Kroenke won't bankroll the team, so of course the money has to be managed. Even if an owner is bankrolling the club, at some point he'll say enough.

Impossible to assess buying Rice without analysing the price. Frankly, I don't want him because we should be seeking better, but I'd probably be prepared to stick him in the squad for a reasonable price and certainly no more than 40 M.

augie

Post by augie »

I Voted No because he is not worth anywhere near the money we are gonna have to pay to get him - you cant separate the financial terms as though they are unimportant cos they are fundamental part in this process.
I seen already someone tried to tie in the xhaka factor to the deal like I said yesterday - he is an upgrade on the swiss turd so is therefore worth the money :roll: The swiss turd must be some man cos it seems that every player we are buying is being bought to replace him, and we'll end up with rice and havertz and lavia all being bought for that one position :lol: :lol:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Awesome defensive midfielder, what we've needed for 30 years, takes us to another level on his own let alone alongside other signings. If you want to compete you have to buy the best and pay the money. For years Arsenal have tried to buy cheaper, bought 2nd or 3rd tier players and that's ok for fighting for 4th to 6th place. We want more so fuck the cheap, 'lesser' options. We need Rice even at 100m.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:12 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:58 pm

:lol: thats why I said it can be merged into a welcome thread after but he'll probably overrule me :lol:
It could also free up the transfer thread a bit for other stories :wink:
Haha no its no problem mate. :D :wink:

Good idea for thread because I think we are quite split on here about him.

Personally I think he is PL average. He is a good player with moments of greatness and odd games where he dominates. But for me he is not always great and many games he has been anonymous. I think the fee is insane but putting that aside I do not believe he is what we require to take us to that next level.

Still if we sign him I hope he is the new Vieira.... and you all know which one I'm referring to! :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

He wants Arsenal. As does his Dad. Who is the driving force…

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:44 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:15 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Do you seriously imagine that spending 100 million on Rice, or anyone else, wouldn't impact our ability to spend elsewhere. Regardless of FFP and/or morals...and believe me, neither of those things were anything to do with us not spending....you've just said that Kroenke won't bankroll the team, so of course the money has to be managed. Even if an owner is bankrolling the club, at some point he'll say enough.

Impossible to assess buying Rice without analysing the price. Frankly, I don't want him because we should be seeking better, but I'd probably be prepared to stick him in the squad for a reasonable price and certainly no more than 40 M.
Agreed. There is no bottomless pot of money. I find this "its not our money" thing really odd. If we phaff off a hundred million now on an average to goodish player like Rice, I'll be sick if a top player then becomes available and the club say "nope we already spent a hundred million so we can't spend another hundred million".

At some point wiggy will say that's it, no more.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

And the flip side is that we don't get the 'top' players available and end up doing 60m on Zubimendi or some other substandard foreign player who'll take a year to 'settle' and then want to leave a year later because it 'rains too much' in London. For years we've looked on enviously at the big boys picking up top tier players whilst we don't.......