Kai Havertz

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Kai Havertz

Post by OneBardGooner »

Source BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66253862

At Audi Field on Tuesday, in a well-attended skills challenge, Kai Havertz had 14 goes at the cross and volley competition. He failed with all 14.

Fast forward 24 hours and when Marquinhos sent a cross to the far post from the right wing in the final minute of Arsenal's 5-0 win against Major League Soccer's All-Stars, Havertz steadied himself, controlled on his chest and smashed a strike into the far corner.

That's the thing about football. Deliver when it matters. :D :barscarf:

Evidently, there will be nights that matter far more than this for Arsenal.

Yet, on a sweltering evening, in front of a crowd in excess of 20,000 at Audi Field, the majority of whom were Gunners supporters and who cheered co-chair Josh Kroenke when he was introduced as part of the pre-match presentation party, Havertz was not alone in feeling satisfied with his performance.

It's a footnote but it was the biggest win ever by a European side in the All-Star game.

"Really pleased," was manager Mikel Arteta's assessment after goals from Gabriel Jesus, Leandro Trossard, Jorginho, Gabriel Martinelli and Havertz gave his side victory.

Havertz can be Arteta's flexible friend

When social media clips of his efforts on Tuesday started doing the rounds, they generated a lot of sarcastic responses, something he experienced during his time at Chelsea, which could be described as erratic.

Yet, in the end, he was being asked to play a role he was ill suited to.

Arteta wants Havertz as a flexible attacking player. Evidently, Jesus will play as a central striker but the German was pushed up alongside him near the end after initially being introduced on the left of a three-man midfield, operating ahead of Jorginho, who was the anchor.

"He gives us something different with his quality and his height," said Arteta.

"For example, he can be the target man if we need to beat the press. He's playing at the attacking midfield position for now but I'm sure throughout the season he'll be used in different positions."

Timber catches the eye

Jurrien Timber's arrival at Arsenal has almost gone under the radar.

Signed from Ajax in a £34m deal after Arsenal won a battle involving numerous Premier League clubs, including Manchester United, Timber's signing was announced less than 24 hours before Declan Rice's much more high-profile move from West Ham.

Even in Washington, he came on at the same time as Rice, ensuring most eyes were trained on the England man as he settled himself in for the final 26 minutes.

But it soon became obvious Timber will have a significant role this season.

When Arsenal had the ball, he slipped into the inverted midfield role Arteta's former boss Pep Guardiola has introduced at Manchester City.

The Netherlands international looked confident on the ball, is quick and can pass. He also spots danger and slips easily into the position of a more orthodox right-sided defender.

"He is a really versatile player," said Arteta. "He gives you the capacity to invert and occupy different spaces. He's so comfortable on the ball in that phase.

"As well as that, he's got aggression in the duels and that dynamism which I really like. You saw with his first action, which was a high press, he won the ball straight away, won the duel and was ready to go.

"He is going to be a really important player for us."

Trossard to be checked

Arsenal now move on to New Jersey, where they will take on Manchester United at MetLife Stadium on Saturday.

Arteta said Trossard would be assessed after needing treatment for an injury that triggered his immediate withdrawal. :cry:

"We don't want to take any risks at this stage," said Arteta. "He had some pain and we'll see how he is tomorrow but I don't expect it to be anything big."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We jolly well hope not! :?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

There’s been a lot of head scratching over the signing of Havertz for sure (me included) but people losing their shit because he didn’t volley it into a wheelie bin in some McDonalds soccerball skills competition need to give their fucking head a wobble. Arsenal Twatter had a compete meltdown over it - the football equivalent of the schools egg and spoon race for fuck sake.

The goal last night is as meaningless as the keepie uppie event from the night before, fact is it will only be after 10 league games that we will be able to form a proper opinion on him and how he looks in this team.

People need to take some deep breaths, take a walk in their gardens and stop losing their shit over every tiny thing that happens/gets reported over the summer.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

He's already paying his fee back with his goal last night :barscarf: :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:16 am
He's already paying his fee back with his goal last night :barscarf: :lol:
Messy on Tuesday, Messi on Wednesday :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:12 am
There’s been a lot of head scratching over the signing of Havertz for sure (me included) but people losing their shit because he didn’t volley it into a wheelie bin in some McDonalds soccerball skills competition need to give their fucking head a wobble. Arsenal Twatter had a compete meltdown over it - the football equivalent of the schools egg and spoon race for fuck sake.

The goal last night is as meaningless as the keepie uppie event from the night before, fact is it will only be after 10 league games that we will be able to form a proper opinion on him and how he looks in this team.

People need to take some deep breaths, take a walk in their gardens and stop losing their shit over every tiny thing that happens/gets reported over the summer.

Rodders mate, I don't look at Arsenal stuff on Twitter, but no one on here was "losing their shit" over his crap volleying attempts. A lot of people on here have genuine reservations about spending 65m on a bloke that's flopped for 3 seasons at Chelsea and as you say, you included.

To see him make a proper mess of something like 15 straightforward volley efforts didn't do much to ease the doubts. That's all people (including me) were saying.

As I've said before, let's hope that Arteta's judgement is right and that he's seen something that the rest of us have missed, because the signing sure baffles me.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

It was more the online based reaction that I was on about Retro rather than anything on here. I woke up yesterday morning and saw that the Arsenal twitter fraternity had lost their fucking minds and it took to a few minutes to work out that it was because of a keepie uppie competition. Fucking hell.

Social media is fucking toxic, one of the worst things inflicted on mankind and rammed full of uber c.unts. The type of pricks ignored in their localities but given a global voice to spew complete shite by cretins like Musk and Zukeberg.

:twisted:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:05 am
It was more the online based reaction that I was on about Retro rather than anything on here. I woke up yesterday morning and saw that the Arsenal twitter fraternity had lost their fucking minds and it took to a few minutes to work out that it was because of a keepie uppie competition. Fucking hell.

Social media is fucking toxic, one of the worst things inflicted on mankind and rammed full of uber c.unts. The type of pricks ignored in their localities but given a global voice to spew complete shite by cretins like Musk and Zukeberg.

Agreed and was the point I tried to make yesterday, twitter is not a good place and a lot of so called fans are an embarrassment. Sadly toxicity gets likes and clicks these days and some people make a lot of money from it instead of getting a real job , what a world we live in now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:

Absolutely. That's why I very very rarely ever go near it. It's a toxic mix of stupidity and horseshit that has given a voice (and more worryingly an audience) to the kind of morons that years ago would be referred to in their locality as "the village idiot" or "the town clown" or "SPUDMASHER". :lol: :wink:

Zuckerberg is a fucking robot that deserves to die before he creates the Terminators that destroy mankind. If his testimony at the FaceFuck hearings is anything to go by then as mankind lies dying, someone will ask him why he did it, and the fucking moron will respond "because I could". :roll: :censored:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Funnily enough it wasn't Arsenal twatter that has having a meltdown, it was Chelski proper twatters. We defo get into the heads of Chelsea and City fans these days, that's a good sign.

Proper can't accept players come to Arsenal to improve themselves these days. Entitled muppets.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:13 pm
Funnily enough it wasn't Arsenal twatter that has having a meltdown, it was Chelski proper twatters. We defo get into the heads of Chelsea and City fans these days, that's a good sign.

Proper can't accept players come to Arsenal to improve themselves these days. Entitled muppets.
No there were a lots of so called Arsenal twatters as well I read yesterday, some were slating Saka’s performance yesterday as well. They're not even people I follow ffs.

Bennett

Post by Bennett »

Pundits i respect, and know far more than me, say there is a real player in Havertz. Hope he's found the right club and environment to deliver it. I truly hope he does and maybe even be given a chance by some of the posters on here!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Absolutely. That's why I very very rarely ever go near it. It's a toxic mix of stupidity and horseshit that has given a voice (and more worryingly an audience) to the kind of morons that years ago would be referred to in their locality as "the village idiot" or "the town clown" or "SPUDMASHER". :lol: :wink:

Zuckerberg is a fucking robot that deserves to die before he creates the Terminators that destroy mankind. If his testimony at the FaceFuck hearings is anything to go by then as mankind lies dying, someone will ask him why he did it, and the fucking moron will respond "because I could". :roll: :censored:
Spot on rodders and db social media gives a voice to those who shouldn't have a voice...yet somehow we increasingly see it driving things.

Before these fuckers would have had to make an effort to get their voice heard now they can spew bllx and its gets a global audience.

Sm has some good but massively outweighed by the bad...overall the worst thing to happen to modern society and its irreversible.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Time will tell on havertz...I have serious doubts to including the fee. But defo player there somewhere but we thought same on pepe for a bit...

No point going over it again and again on this thread though...judge him in...november

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:34 pm
Time will tell on havertz...I have serious doubts to including the fee. But defo player there somewhere but we thought same on pepe for a bit...

No point going over it again and again on this thread though...judge him in...november
I’m trying to be positive about him and think you don’t become Germanys number 9 for no reason,but from what I’ve seen from Kurtan in the last 3 years I do have my doubts,but hey I’ve not worked 30 years in football

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:03 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Spot on rodders and db social media gives a voice to those who shouldn't have a voice...yet somehow we increasingly see it driving things.

Before these fuckers would have had to make an effort to get their voice heard now they can spew bllx and its gets a global audience.

Sm has some good but massively outweighed by the bad...overall the worst thing to happen to modern society and its irreversible.

Agree with all of this. I'm not technically inspired and don't really do social media, but to my shame, I do get drawn to twitter, although the political stuff not the Arsenal stuff. It's a habit that I need to break, although it does give access to news that the MSM keep hidden from us. The trouble is, the politicians are terrified of social media and despite the loud and extreme voices being very much minority activists, govts seem to think they represent public opinion and allow these nutjobs to influence policy.

Anyway, I have distinct reservations about Havertz, but as Mantis says, let's judge him in November. I genuinely hope he confounds all us doubters.