Welcome Jurrien Timber

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Welcome Jurrien Timber

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:53 pm
The best thing about this transfer is that it means the end of the banter Bob Holding era.

Not so fast rodders - he is being signed as a right back
Yeah but he can also play CB meaning we’ve now got Timber, White and Tomi who can play either RB or CB which gives us great cover in those positions and much surely spell the end of Banter Bob.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

rodders999 wrote:
The best thing about this transfer is that it means the end of the banter Bob Holding era.
Harsh on Rob , he's a solid pro who's never complained and was MOTM in the cup final. Yes he's not good enough now but lot of other players to hate before him.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

gooner265 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:23 am
rodders999 wrote:
Harsh on Rob , he's a solid pro who's never complained and was MOTM in the cup final. Yes he's not good enough now but lot of other players to hate before him.
Don’t hate him, he’s just not good enough (by a distance) for a club like Arsenal. He can’t dine out on that cup final performance forever and the fact is he played a huge role in torpedoing the last 2 seasons, especially his antics against the scum when he had a lobotomy in real time out on the field before being sent off.

Saliba’s loss was massive last season but it was doubly compounded by the huge drop off in quality when Holding came in. Signing Timber means we won’t have to go down that road ever again thank fuck, as it gives us shit loads of options at the back.

Mr. Knows was sorry he didn’t cost 50 million, Besiktas offering 2m for him says it all.

Nice guy, not good enough, bye bye.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:16 am
gooner265 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Don’t hate him, he’s just not good enough (by a distance) for a club like Arsenal. He can’t dine out on that cup final performance forever and the fact is he played a huge role in torpedoing the last 2 seasons, especially his antics against the scum when he had a lobotomy in real time out on the field before being sent off.

Saliba’s loss was massive last season but it was doubly compounded by the huge drop off in quality when Holding came in. Signing Timber means we won’t have to go down that road ever again thank fuck, as it gives us shit loads of options at the back.

Mr. Knows was sorry he didn’t cost 50 million, Besiktas offering 2m for him says it all.

If Timber starts right back this season, we'll see what kind of affect it will have on ben white - a guy who has no interest in the game other than when he is playing himself, might down tools and be fcuk all use as a back up, and that would be my fear

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Augie I think you’re putting way too much weight in Ben White not having an interest/watching other games.

First off I don’t believe him, I think it was just a throwaway comment after a match. You don’t get to the level he has by being meh about the sport. He would have gone from school teams to local teams into academies before turning pro.

You have to eat, drink, sleep football in order to make it as a professional, you can’t just reluctantly drag your arse to a few training sessions as a kid to something you’ve supposedly no interest in and end up playing premier league football.

He’s got a strange sense of humour is all. I thought he was excellent for two thirds of last season but faded at the end from being overplayed due to the inevitable Tomi injury which meant he had to play every game.

The arrival of Timber will mean we can rotate him to keep him fresh especially with champions league football midweek.

Super transfer I’m buzzing.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:41 am
Augie I think you’re putting way too much weight in Ben White not having an interest/watching other games.

First off I don’t believe him, I think it was just a throwaway comment after a match. You don’t get to the level he has by being meh about the sport. He would have gone from school teams to local teams into academies before turning pro.

You have to eat, drink, sleep football in order to make it as a professional, you can’t just reluctantly drag your arse to a few training sessions as a kid to something you’ve supposedly no interest in and end up playing premier league football.

He’s got a strange sense of humour is all. I thought he was excellent for two thirds of last season but faded at the end from being overplayed due to the inevitable Tomi injury which meant he had to play every game.

The arrival of Timber will mean we can rotate him to keep him fresh especially with champions league football midweek.

Super transfer I’m buzzing.

Tbf Rodders he isnt the first and nor will he be the last pro footballer to admit that they have little interest in the sport that has rewarded them so generously. You say that you dont believe the story and that it was a throw away remark, but I would point to his conduct at the world cup when he wasnt playing and then went home, and suggest that his behaviour backs him that throw away remark. You are like me in that you cant understand how a guy playing at that level can have no interest in the sport - I cant accept it either and think it is bizarre, but the difference is that I believe it can happen

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Classy from Ajax

https://fb.watch/lOHN1I2jJk/

You will need Facebook to view it I expect

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arteta has said he is interested in the Character of the Person just as well as he is in the Player: Skills, Abilities, Potential etc... And you can see it in Timber in this Video. Comes across as Genuine.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:52 pm
Arteta has said he is interested in the Character of the Person just as well as he is in the Player: Skills, Abilities, Potential etc... And you can see it in Timber in this Video. Comes across as Genuine.
Certainly don’t want any big time Charlie coming into our harmonious squad and disrupting it.

Rice stated that he could see over the last year or two how close the group were, how they were together in all aspects and connected (again) with the fan base.
That needs to continue

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:16 am
gooner265 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Yeah that's fair enough, decent buy for a lower/mid table side.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:38 pm
Classy from Ajax

8) :barscarf:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Simple and classy.

I wonder if Bergkamp had any influence in that deal? :rubchin:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:40 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Classy from Ajax

8) :barscarf:
That is absolutely beautiful.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Classy from Ajax

That is absolutely top class from Ajax. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Classy from Ajax

Yeah! Fair Do's That is Classy.