FA Community Shield: Arsenal v Man City 4pm Sunday 6/8/2023

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: FA Community Shield: Arsenal v Man City 4pm Sunday 6/8/2023

Post by A11M11 »

We used to have a full back called Dennis Evans he was our penalty taker in the early 60's . Left foot top corner unstoppable penalties .
Our most clinical however Ian Wright who took 26 and scored 26 times.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Who cares.
We're all doomed ....

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nice day out at Wembley - very much enjoyed it. Although its a glorified friendly, I felt it was almost the first game of the real season in terms of intensity and attitude. The shield itself doesn't mean too much, but not losing to them is an important step and I felt a draw over 90 minutes was a fair outcome. Very much liked Timber and thought Havertz did a great job linking up the play - we've lacked a player who can hold up the ball and he's more than capable of doing that. People are bound to criticise Rice, but I felt he did ok out there against a top midfield. He's got a lot to get used too in terms of how we play and I think it won't be till the second half of the season where we see the best of him.

Sets up nicely for next week when it really matters!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A few observations.

I thought it was a very good performance, especially given the opposition. I thought we had them rattled for the last 20 mins of the first half and should have gone in at half time in front.

I thought we paid comfortably twice as much as Rice is worth and saw nothing to change my mind about that yesterday, BUT, it proved something that some of us have been saying for years….replace Xhaka with an everyday work horse in midfield (I hope Rice will be more than that) and we’d instantly be a far better side. With the Swiss dope in the middle of the park we lose that game.

Really liked what we saw of Timber. Looks like he could be a star buy and at a good price. Also good to see Saliba back with his imperious streak and he’s still a kid.

We know all about Vieira, but fuck me, can the boy take a penalty. Two keepers in goal ain’t stopping that one yesterday.

Now the negatives…Partey has to go. I thought he was poor and especially in the first half. He was then made to look a total mug by Foden for their goal. Havertz was woeful. Offered fuck all up front. I might moan about the 105m on Rice, but I’d rather that than the 65m on Havertz. In the annals of a disastrous waste of fortunes in transfer revenue, I fear that it will rival the embarrassment of Pepe. Had Jesus been fit yesterday, then I’m sure he’d play, so is Havertz a 65m bench warmer, or even worse, would he replace Rice or Partey?

This team is standing on the edge of being able to compete at the highest level, but we need to replace Partey and most importantly of all, we desperately need a goalscoring centre forward. Even when we’re playing well, as in long parts yesterday, we lack a clinical edge up front. The 65m on Havertz could have gone a long way to funding a quality striker….or indeed, Caicedo to replace Partey.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:46 pm
A few observations.

I thought it was a very good performance, especially given the opposition. I thought we had them rattled for the last 20 mins of the first half and should have gone in at half time in front.

I thought we paid comfortably twice as much as Rice is worth and saw nothing to change my mind about that yesterday, BUT, it proved something that some of us have been saying for years….replace Xhaka with an everyday work horse in midfield (I hope Rice will be more than that) and we’d instantly be a far better side. With the Swiss dope in the middle of the park we lose that game.

Really liked what we saw of Timber. Looks like he could be a star buy and at a good price. Also good to see Saliba back with his imperious streak and he’s still a kid.

We know all about Vieira, but fuck me, can the boy take a penalty. Two keepers in goal ain’t stopping that one yesterday.

Now the negatives…Partey has to go. I thought he was poor and especially in the first half. He was then made to look a total mug by Foden for their goal. Havertz was woeful. Offered fuck all up front. I might moan about the 105m on Rice, but I’d rather that than the 65m on Havertz. In the annals of a disastrous waste of fortunes in transfer revenue, I fear that it will rival the embarrassment of Pepe. Had Jesus been fit yesterday, then I’m sure he’d play, so is Havertz a 65m bench warmer, or even worse, would he replace Rice or Partey?

This team is standing on the edge of being able to compete at the highest level, but we need to replace Partey and most importantly of all, we desperately need a goalscoring centre forward. Even when we’re playing well, as in long parts yesterday, we lack a clinical edge up front. The 65m on Havertz could have gone a long way to funding a quality striker….or indeed, Caicedo to replace Partey.
I enjoyed the fact that we looked to contain City, and did so for large parts of the match , not going hung ho and hoping to outscore them.

They had a lot of early possession but we kept them at more than arms length - Haarland barely touch the ball, Saliba kept him well shackled.
Havertz was okay in my book, but should have scored at least one of his 2 good chances,

Ramsdale made 2 very good saves to keep it 1-0 but yet again played a shit straight ball out, which very nearly cost another goal.
Raya watching on with the fans apparently will be licking his lips 👄

Glad we didn’t just accept the defeat and kept pressing, lucky for sure, with the deflection, but it was good trickery from Trossard ( Trow - sard ) according to the Yankee commentator last week to feint to cross on his right foot and come inside on his left to shoot - the benefits of being equally able to use either foot.

Timber is going to be the bollox. On either side. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
A few observations.

I enjoyed the fact that we looked to contain City, and did so for large parts of the match , not going hung ho and hoping to outscore them.

They had a lot of early possession but we kept them at more than arms length - Haarland barely touch the ball, Saliba kept him well shackled.
Havertz was okay in my book, but should have scored at least one of his 2 good chances,

Ramsdale made 2 very good saves to keep it 1-0 but yet again played a shit straight ball out, which very nearly cost another goal.

Glad we didn’t just accept the defeat and kept pressing, lucky for sure, with the deflection, but it was good trickery from Trossard ( Trow - sard ) according to the Yankee commentator last week to feint to cross on his right foot and come inside on his left to shoot - the benefits of being equally able to use either foot.

What, you mean like a pair of bollocks?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:37 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
A few observations.

What, you mean like a pair of bollocks?
Is a pair of bollocks 4 ? Asking for a friend :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I always thought they came by the sack load.

Midz

Post by Midz »

It's in the bag now.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:07 pm
It's in the bag now.
Well that has certainly ironed out any wrinkles.