FA Community Shield: Arsenal v Man City 4pm Sunday 6/8/2023

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

FA Community Shield: Arsenal v Man City 4pm Sunday 6/8/2023

Post by OneBardGooner »

Dunno where FG is; He usually does the business on the Game Threads.

As much as many aren't as interested in this or its outcome as they might be in a regular Prem Game, it still has some importance in that it will allow us to see how the new players are settling into the squad and their positions; should they play.

It'll also be interesting to see what the Starting Line-up is and who is on the bench with a realistic chance of getting game time; such as Balogun.

I have heard some (on here and other Arsenal forums) make out they are not interested in the game and the outcome doesn't matter as the Community Shield is a nothing trophy and that the game itself is nothing more than a semi-friendly. I've always believed there are no friendlies; unless it's for a charity or someone's testimonial and even then players still should want to win.

I would prefer that we Win it than Lose it, so in that sense it is important Having said that the team that lose this annual season starter game more often than not (*) go on to Win the Prem the same year/season.

(*) Statistically.

#COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I'll go for an Arsenal Win 3 -2.

mcdowell42

Re: FA Community Shield: Arsenal v Man City 4pm Sunday 6/8/2023

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Ramsdale, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Timber, Partey, Rice, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Tierney ultras incoming in 3…..2…..1….. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

When we bought havertz we were told that he isnt a striker and was being played out of position by the chavs - now jesus is out injured and he is our striker ahead of nketieh and balogun who we reckon is worth 50m but cant get a game with us :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:04 pm
Arsenal XI: Ramsdale, White, Saliba, Gabriel, Timber, Partey, Rice, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz
That is a damn good Line-up.... Just hope it works? :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:11 pm
When we bought havertz we were told that he isnt a striker and was being played out of position by the chavs - now jesus is out injured and he is our striker ahead of nketieh and balogun who we reckon is worth 50m but cant get a game with us :roll:
And so. Let the Negativity begin. :?

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:12 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:11 pm
And so. Let the Negativity begin. :?

Did you not display negativity about the striker options on the transfer thread ? Dont be a hypocrite playing to the crowd

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It wasn't negativity Augie it was concern... there is a difference, and if you don't know the difference; which might well be the case I'm sorry to say However having said that and this isn't me 'avin a go' but you are the prime person on here to voice negative posts before we have even kicked a ball.

I don't usually bother replying to your posts as you are on my ignore list, but seeing as you have accused me of 'playing to the crowd', felt it needed addressing.

So let's (try and) enjoy the game shall we.

Anyhoo! The reason I logged back in was to let anyone who doesn't have a Link or means to watch the game, it is being shown on ITV1.

#COYG. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Havertz up front :lol: :lol:

I hope he proves me wrong but….

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Balogun has an ankle injury Augie or at least that’s what we’re pretending until we flog him.

If it’s a choice between Havertz up top or Eddie I’m all in on Havertz!

Could make a decent argument for playing Trossard up there I suppose but for all the great play and assists he has had for us deputising for Jesus up there when he was injured he’s only scored 1 goal so far - which ain’t great for a striker.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

They're wheeling out Mike Summerbee again. :roll:

Just like West Ham and Geoff Hurst.

What will they do when they both peg it? :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:37 pm
Balogun has an ankle injury Augie or at least that’s what we’re pretending until we flog him.

If it’s a choice between Havertz up top or Eddie I’m all in on Havertz!

Could make a decent argument for playing Trossard up there I suppose but for all the great play and assists he has had for us deputising for Jesus up there when he was injured he’s only scored 1 goal so far - which ain’t great for a striker.
I agree - worth taking a risk on Havertz in a game that doesn’t matter

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:27 pm
Havertz up front :lol: :lol:

I hope he proves me wrong but….

You are not allowed question that - so says the "chosen one" :roll:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

If that’s a yellow in the new season , no match will finish 11 v 11 :roll:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:03 pm
Dunno where FG is; He usually does the business on the Game Threads.

As much as many aren't as interested in this or its outcome as they might be in a regular Prem Game, it still has some importance in that it will allow us to see how the new players are settling into the squad and their positions; should they play.

It'll also be interesting to see what the Starting Line-up is and who is on the bench with a realistic chance of getting game time; such as Balogun.

I have heard some (on here and other Arsenal forums) make out they are not interested in the game and the outcome doesn't matter as the Community Shield is a nothing trophy and that the game itself is nothing more than a semi-friendly. I've always believed there are no friendlies; unless it's for a charity or someone's testimonial and even then players still should want to win.

I would prefer that we Win it than Lose it, so in that sense it is important Having said that the team that lose this annual season starter game more often than not (*) go on to Win the Prem the same year/season.

(*) Statistically.

#COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I'll go for an Arsenal Win 3 -2.
I'm here OBG :barscarf: I've had phone trouble so not been on.I think we'll stiffen these wanks up the bum today but they'll do us 6-1 on aggregate in the league :cry: I'll fire the Forest thread up shortly :barscarf: Is it still this normal names pish? and not Forest fartpipes? Asking for a friend :rubchin: :D