David Raya PLEASE! Fuck-Off!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Welcome David Raya

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:26 pm
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:19 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:45 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:08 pm
It’s fucking hard, but I’m resisting the temptation to get involved. Somehow managing to let illogical conclusions go unchallenged.

I wonder if I’ll finally crack?

:lol: :wink:
Go on you love nothing better than an argument would hate to deprive you.
Leave him be... its fucking hard apparnetly so let him sort Mrs/mr Retro out for once whilst the ions hot!!! He may come back less grouchy! ;)

Nope, still not biting. Just basking in the light of you all finally seeing the flaws in Ramsdale. It took a while, but better late than never I suppose.
OBG where are you we need some bigger bait!

:lol: :lol:

Oh and by the way, it's definitely Mrs Retro. No pride flags for us Bethnal Green boys.....well, not the original ones anyway. I'm sure a large percentage of the new middle class, hipster locals are quite rainbow inclined. Whatever would Ron and Reg say?! :lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
It’s fucking hard, but I’m resisting the temptation to get involved. Somehow managing to let illogical conclusions go unchallenged.

Leave him be... its fucking hard apparnetly so let him sort Mrs/mr Retro out for once whilst the ions hot!!! He may come back less grouchy! ;)

Nope, still not biting. Just basking in the light of you all finally seeing the flaws in Ramsdale. It took a while, but better late than never I suppose.
David Seaman had flaws, you saw them laid bare in Paris and the World Cup quarter-final.

This is the thing with Ramsdale, he's made mistakes no one can doubt that. But he's also many years from hitting his peak. Seaman did that in his early 30s.

Who knows if Ramsdale can iron out these deficiencies, but the limelight is about to fall on Raya. It's all very well doing it at a smaller club, even in training but the Arsenal goalkeeping position with all the greats down the years is a big burden to carry and succeed. We haven't had anything near a quality goalkeeper before Ramsdale since Lehman really. Every one in between was a dud (Almunia, Chesney, Ospina, Cech et al).

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

That seven goal stat is obviously very poor, but you’d have to analyse the goals individually. Though I suspect he was at fault for one or two of them. I think Ramsdale is a very good keeper but he’s not at this stage a Top 10 in the world keeper - and that’s obviously what we should be striving for. Easier said than done though, and I think he’s fine for now until either A) he improves or B) the right man is available.
Re. Lehman, I always remember him as being solid - but more of a top 5 or 6 in the PL level rather than world class. A bit better overall than Ramsdale is now (factoring in the whole skill set) but not by that much. We haven’t had a world class keeper since 90s Seaman.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Another way to look at it - if we were in another title running with 10 games left - there’s probably a dozen players in our squad whose absence you’d miss more than Ramsdale.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

The problem with Seaman is that he went on far too long. He was a liability for his last 3 seasons. Regarding flaws, yes some keepers have them, but some don’t have recognisable weaknesses. Mistakes, of course, happen to them all. The issue is the extent of the flaws and the frequency of the mistakes and Ramsdale scores too highly in both categories.

We can’t sit and watch a keeper for 4 or 5 years to see if he’s going to make it when he’s in his late 20s. I’ve said before that you should spend as much as you can to get the best available keeper. Same goes for a striker. They are the two key positions that win you points that you haven’t earned.

I know almost nothing about Raya, so will have to reserve judgement on that one.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I’d fuck Ramsdale off in a heartbeat. Whether it’s cockiness, a short attention span or he’s just shit, there’s a mistake in him. Almost every game he’s does something which makes the arse twitch like a rabbits nose. Sure, the lad has made some very good, point saving/match winning saves since he’s been first choice - the one at Anfield last season springs to mind - but that isn’t the first thing anyone thinks of when they hear his name. He’s steadily growing a reputation for being a bit of a hazard, and we can’t have that if we REALLY want to fight for the top prizes.

He might come good. Hell, he might even become one of England’s greatest - who’s to say. But right now, we can’t afford to wait and find out.

Ship him on loan if we really believe he is the future, but we can’t risk having a calamity goalkeeper unsettling our defence before the opposition get a chance to test us.

augie

Post by augie »

Self harm was a phrase that became very prominent in the latter wenger years and I fear that it is going to be widely used again this season - I've always gone on record as saying that while there are facets of ramsdale's game and personality that I like, I will also say that overall I dont really trust him or rate him as an elite keeper. Pep's cone boy has created a situation now where just 4 weeks in there is already commotion about raya taking over as number 1 keeper, and we are going to have a season of that regardless of who is in goals - it is naive/stupid to think that this wont have an unsettling effect on the team as the season goes on, and if raya does take over at some point, then he wont be in the job a fortnight before the xenophobic press will be on his case cos he is an england player getting squeezed out :roll:

Hold my hands up and say that I havent seen enough of raya to decide if I believe that he is good enough or not, but I do feel that ramsdale has made enough mistakes to suggest that he isnt good enough - I wish that having signed raya pep's cone boy would have sold ramsdale cos I think the whole situation will get messy, but this arrogant cock thinks he can diffuse any issue :roll: Like others have said, I dont see the point in signing raya if he isnt going to play, and I mean play with the first team and not the squad players and rookies in league cup - you cant assess him properly if he is playing behind a team of back ups

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Self harm was a phrase that became very prominent in the latter wenger years and I fear that it is going to be widely used again this season - I've always gone on record as saying that while there are facets of ramsdale's game and personality that I like, I will also say that overall I dont really trust him or rate him as an elite keeper. Pep's cone boy has created a situation now where just 4 weeks in there is already commotion about raya taking over as number 1 keeper, and we are going to have a season of that regardless of who is in goals - it is naive/stupid to think that this wont have an unsettling effect on the team as the season goes on, and if raya does take over at some point, then he wont be in the job a fortnight before the xenophobic press will be on his case cos he is an england player getting squeezed out :roll:

Hold my hands up and say that I havent seen enough of raya to decide if I believe that he is good enough or not, but I do feel that ramsdale has made enough mistakes to suggest that he isnt good enough - I wish that having signed raya pep's cone boy would have sold ramsdale cos I think the whole situation will get messy, but this arrogant cock thinks he can diffuse any issue :roll: Like others have said, I dont see the point in signing raya if he isnt going to play, and I mean play with the first team and not the squad players and rookies in league cup - you cant assess him properly if he is playing behind a team of back ups
Really disrespectful calling MA, Pep's cone boy Augie. What are you going to do if he does win us the league over the next few years?

10 points out of 12 not playing great football is a sign of a good team. The fact we have turned over one of our top 6 rivals without Partey is massive for me.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm
augie wrote:

Really disrespectful calling MA, Pep's cone boy Augie. What are you going to do if he does win us the league over the next few years?

10 points out of 12 not playing great football is a sign of a good team. The fact we have turned over one of our top 6 rivals without Partey is massive for me.

Or a sign of a poor league ? :rubchin:

I'm 54 (almost) so I have seen plenty of manure teams over the years, and I can say with absolute confidence that this current manure team is the worst team those c.unts have had since before ferguscum took them over - on paper we are miles better than them so beating them is no great managerial masterstroke. I will also add to that by saying that imo partey being missing won us that game - I have zero doubt that we reverted back to a proper back 4 purely cos pep's cone boy was forced into it by partey's injury, and had we played partey at right back and white at centre half we might have lost that game.

Btw I love the way you are downgrading our targets there - we are going from challenging for the league last season, to now looking no higher than top 6 ? Easier target to obtain thus no criticism of manager for not doing as well as last season :roll: I hope and pray that I am 100% wrong here, but imo pep's cone boy will never lead us to the premier league title - his arrogance and fcuking about with tactics etc will always get in the way, plus we are also competing with state funded clubs which will make it harder again. You refer to me disrespecting the manager, and I will say that I havent disrespected him any more than he has disrespected players like smith-rowe and tierney - live by sword and die by sword.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

cameron326 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:15 am
That seven goal stat is obviously very poor, but you’d have to analyse the goals individually. Though I suspect he was at fault for one or two of them. I think Ramsdale is a very good keeper but he’s not at this stage a Top 10 in the world keeper - and that’s obviously what we should be striving for. Easier said than done though, and I think he’s fine for now until either A) he improves or B) the right man is available.
Re. Lehman, I always remember him as being solid - but more of a top 5 or 6 in the PL level rather than world class. A bit better overall than Ramsdale is now (factoring in the whole skill set) but not by that much. We haven’t had a world class keeper since 90s Seaman.
I know some on here hate him, but Jens was world class easily top two in the pl in his time

5, 4, 3, 2...db10!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:14 pm
cameron326 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:15 am
I know some on here hate him, but Jens was world class easily top two in the pl in his time

5, 4, 3, 2...db10!!
:lol: :lol: :barscarf:

In fairness, he was a very good keeper but for me his stupidity prevents me from classing him as "world class". The truly world class don't cost their teams the champs league twice by carrying on like attention seeking egomaniacs. And that, for me, is what Lehmann was.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:10 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

OBG where are you we need some bigger bait!
Sorry mate been busy (Decorating :roll: :( )

:rubchin:

:D

:rubchin:

:hmmthink:

:fishing:

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:11 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm
augie wrote:

Or a sign of a poor league ? :rubchin:

I'm 54 (almost) so I have seen plenty of manure teams over the years, and I can say with absolute confidence that this current manure team is the worst team those c.unts have had since before ferguscum took them over - on paper we are miles better than them so beating them is no great managerial masterstroke. I will also add to that by saying that imo partey being missing won us that game - I have zero doubt that we reverted back to a proper back 4 purely cos pep's cone boy was forced into it by partey's injury, and had we played partey at right back and white at centre half we might have lost that game.

Btw I love the way you are downgrading our targets there - we are going from challenging for the league last season, to now looking no higher than top 6 ? Easier target to obtain thus no criticism of manager for not doing as well as last season :roll: I hope and pray that I am 100% wrong here, but imo pep's cone boy will never lead us to the premier league title - his arrogance and fcuking about with tactics etc will always get in the way, plus we are also competing with state funded clubs which will make it harder again. You refer to me disrespecting the manager, and I will say that I havent disrespected him any more than he has disrespected players like smith-rowe and tierney - live by sword and die by sword.
So you are discounting the whole of the 70s and 80s then, when all they could muster was a few cup triumphs. Things only got fruity between us and them when we started our upward trajectory in 87, and they started getting serious in the league a few years later. Even then Ferguson should have been sacked in his first three years. Mark Robbins saved his bacon.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Personally I think Ramsdale has been superb since he signed and I didn't see the need to sign Raya. However, I said the same when we had John Lukic and didn't want us to sign Spunky, and look how that turned out. I do wonder how this is going to map out during the whole season though. Even the very top clubs like City have a clear distinction between first choice keeper and back up and if we believe all the speculation, Raya had his pick of clubs so not sure he would have joined us on the faint hope of winning the first choice spot - there must have been some firm assurances given.

Ramsdale is the least of our worries when it comes to the squad. I still think the wing back/full back positions are threadbare and wonder if our main CFs will get us enough goals

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I wonder would we be having the conversation about Ramsdale if we hadn't signed Raya,(I know Retro had some concerns about him last season)with Turner as his back up I think we all figured that if ramsdale got injured we could be in trouble.
I noticed on social media when we signed Raya alot of stats coming out about ramsdale which didn't show him in a good light ,eg 7 goals conceded from 1st shot on target,apparently rayas stats from last season were the 4th best in the league where I think ramsdale was in between 7-12th .Personally I think ramsdale is very poor on crosses,seems to flap alot when a high ball comes in.

1 other thing he's playing for a team that now looks to be within a chance of MAYBE winning the league or at least qualifying for the CL for the foreseeable future but yet he can't get past pickford (who for the last few seasons has been playing in a team fighting relegation continuously)as England No 1, that is telling in itself