Spuds aka Nolia Cup(Sweden) Winners 1977 H Sun sept 24th KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Spuds aka Nolia Cup(Sweden) Winners 1977 H Sun sept 24th KO 2pm

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I do tend to agree that we over celebrate some goals.

Today it should have been right lads let's get the third

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:38 pm
I'm off to chop some wood!

Will stop ranting on here and ruining it for you all!

Is that some kind of euphemism mate? :D

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:06 pm
And yet we spent ages worrying about the GK position- this great distributing keeper who kicked every long kick badly wrong today. I'd say if we don't sign the likes of Toney in January we are going to have more days like today wondering where the next goal is coming from. An own goal and a penalty today, and we'd be playing till midnight waiting for Eddie or Jesus to score
Thomas Frank was on Monday night football last week and all but confirmed that he’d be off, we need to be in for him because he’d be the perfect fit.

Price tag will be interesting though, Frank also said that if 6s are going for a hundred mill then what’s a 25 goal a season striker worth? Even though he was a disgrace today I hope Eddie somehow scuffs 6 or 7 goals between here and January so we can use him as part of the deal.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:03 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
And yet we spent ages worrying about the GK position- this great distributing keeper who kicked every long kick badly wrong today. I'd say if we don't sign the likes of Toney in January we are going to have more days like today wondering where the next goal is coming from. An own goal and a penalty today, and we'd be playing till midnight waiting for Eddie or Jesus to score
Thomas Frank was on Monday night football last week and all but confirmed that he’d be off, we need to be in for him because he’d be the perfect fit.

Price tag will be interesting though, Frank also said that if 6s are going for a hundred mill then what’s a 25 goal a season striker worth? Even though he was a disgrace today I hope Eddie somehow scuffs 6 or 7 goals between here and January so we can use him as part of the deal.
We were prepared to pay £100m for Rice and he'll prove himself to be worth every penny. If we believe Toney is the missing link, it might take another £80m+ at least, but what would anyone expect for a guy who is amongst the proven leading goalscorers in the PL? He's so physically strong which is what we haven't got. Eddie showed today just how easy he was to muscle out of it with their two lumps - no way Toney would be letting that happen to him. It also impacts on the midfield players too because it brings them into play in a way Nketiah just can't do

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Naki_Gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:48 pm
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:31 pm
Naki_Gooner wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:28 pm
They were better than us today. On paper we should mop the floor with them. They played their game, we played ours, but it looked like they wanted it more, we'll probably beat them at theirs using today as motivation but we'll be out of the title race by then, back to qualifying for cl every year, citeeh learnt from their slow start last season, it's a race for the minors.
That's the thing they were not better than us. Only an idiot would say they were .

They were turd and offered nothing.
We simply let them into it.

Complete self harm.
"...an idiot..." ok Jeremy.
Sorry but they were not the better team. I was expecting to be ripped to shreds by this famous angeball. Hey were crap. Problem was so were we in most parts and we we were not we had no one up front to punish them.

the playing mantis

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:17 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:03 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

We were prepared to pay £100m for Rice and he'll prove himself to be worth every penny. If we believe Toney is the missing link, it might take another £80m+ at least, but what would anyone expect for a guy who is amongst the proven leading goalscorers in the PL? He's so physically strong which is what we haven't got. Eddie showed today just how easy he was to muscle out of it with their two lumps - no way Toney would be letting that happen to him. It also impacts on the midfield players too because it brings them into play in a way Nketiah just can't do
Yep that's what I said, that's why I have a bit of sympathy for odergaard going missing. He ran around a lot but centrally I thr final third we had nothing. He had nothing ahead of him when he did get involved. Said it vs Everton he needed to drop deeper to dictate play, but when there's zero informt of you, nkt much you can do. Eddie was nkt even making runs he was just poncing around being weak and crap.

the playing mantis

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:02 pm
Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:38 pm
I'm off to chop some wood!

Will stop ranting on here and ruining it for you all!

Is that some kind of euphemism mate? :D
Fraid not! And I'm still fucked off!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Shite.

I'm a Nketiah defender but I never want to see him play again for us after that pitiful display.

Were Artetas nstructions at HT to say don't give the ball to Saka to not run at their RB.

Jorginho...can't put it into words. Headless chicken.

Lucky t get a point :banghead:
The only question has to be - What took you so long?
I mean seriously he is sub premier league level and should be nowhere near our first team.

Mind you he was called up for England :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

That was a sore watch today :cry: If Jayzooos buries that chance at 1-0 we stiffen the hole out of them.. bastarts :( At the end we were lucky to get a point ffs :cry: Shite!!!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The most important result in a Derby match is not to lose - we did that and so I will take it.

Everyone has just got to realise that last season was a bit of a fluke.
We have not played like title contenders since last November in reality.

Still think we will get in the top 5 to have a go at the Swiss style crap show next season, but anything higher and you can forget it until we buy a striker - as I have been saying for months and months on here

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Haven't read this thread beyond pre match posts, so no idea what the take on the game is...I'll read it tomorrow.

For my part:

No idea why so many on here were so confident that we'd win this comfortably. On level points and if anything, their first 5 fixtures were marginally tougher.

Same old problem with us, all the possession in the first 30 mins, but don't test the keeper. Even the goal was a wicked deflection that wasn't going in. If ever a game showed how badly we need a proper striker, then this was it. Enough of us said on here in the summer, that no goal scoring striker, then no progress.

From 30 mins onward, they were hungrier than us and won the 50/50s and the second balls. We did well to emerge with a fucking draw.

Nketiah...how much more does Arteta need to see to understand he's nowhere near good enough for this level. Absolute crap today.

Jesus...spends more time on his arse than having an impact. Good technical footballer, but not a goal scorer. If he finishes the chance where he robbed Madison, then we likely win this game.

There's a thread on here about Odegaard that has seen activity the last few days. Some of us made the point that he still needs to prove that he can do it when the chips are down. After today...and I don't want to criticise him too much...let's just say he still has it to prove.

Havertz....why?!! Fucking useless. I couldn't stand Xhaka from day one, but fuck me, this bloke is every bit as bad.

Jorginho....never rated him and said plenty about it when we bought him. Seen him fuck up and get caught in possession frequently at the chavs.

ESR....no Martinelli, no Trossard, Rice and Vieira off at half time and the boy still can't get any more than 3 minutes at the end ffs. Imagine not getting on despite all those injuries and having to sit and watch Havertz and Jorginho stink the place out! Legohead clearly doesn't fancy him, so needs to be fair to the boy and sell him in January before his career is ruined.

I know we had injuries, but fucking poor today and failing to buy a striker, or not even seeming to think we need one, is going to cost us big time.
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:00 pm
I do tend to agree that we over celebrate some goals.

Today it should have been right lads let's get the third
I’ve thought this for a while now but didn’t want to get shot down as being a miserable old c unt,they over celebrate everything for me,most goals and most wins,some of the celebrations on the pitch at the end is laughable,just have some class and clap the away support and get into the dressing room,I’m not sure there’s any need to stay on the pitch for 15 minutes after a routine win,or even a hard fought win for that matter,maybe it’s just modern football but the over celebrating has to stop

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Good post that on the frustrations and limitations surrounding this team.

The reality is this - leaving aside the purple patch that Arteta and the team had last summer/autumn we haven’t really progressed that much since Arteta joined nearly 4 years ago.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Fuck 'em. We deserved no more than we got out of this game. We would not finish top 4 with the 11 on the pitch at the end of the game . (+ Viera!) :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:21 am
Good post that on the frustrations and limitations surrounding this team.

The reality is this - leaving aside the purple patch that Arteta and the team had last summer/autumn we haven’t really progressed that much since Arteta joined nearly 4 years ago.

A point I made last season and was lambasted for - dont get me wrong cos we have improved a bit, but last seasons "improvement" was an optical illusion due to the fact that so many of our rivals had a shocking season at the one time.