Bournemouth A Sat 30th Sept KO 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
RJG23

Re: Bournemouth A Sat 30th Sept KO 3pm

Post by RJG23 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 pm
RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:06 pm
I actually think Kai had a decent game there. Think we can be a bit quick to jump on mistakes but he made no more than anyone else. Great pen and hopefully kicks on to look more like a £65m player (won't be holding my breath for too long though)
You ARE Joking!!??

Before half-time he had given the ball away THREE times each occasion leading to three of their very few and restricted Attacks.

I want him to Succeed mate (as I'm sure we all do) but he really was our least affective & worst player on the pitch (again) :|
I see what you're saying but my issue with takes like this is, do you know how many times any other player lost the ball? Most likely a few players lost it 2, 3, maybe more times but we're focusing on Kai because he's new, from Chelsea, and cost a lot. Granted he's had a couple bad games but the others haven't been as bad as made out. It'll take a bit of time to gel, I know we want it to be instant but it's hardly ever the case only really elite players (eg Rice) can do that. The price tag isn's his fault, and if he came from somewhere else like Ajax or Monaco for example we'd be giving him more time before turning on him.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:17 pm
Didn’t see the game but just read the thread. Who made the decision to give Havertz the penalty? Was it Arteta?

Sounds as though Bournemouth were woeful, but how did we perform overall?

Great day results wise, both Mancs losing, toffees losing, just need the scum to lose, although I suppose the best result for us would be a draw in that one.
Never give the scum an inch - want them to lose

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Didn’t see the game but just read the thread. Who made the decision to give Havertz the penalty? Was it Arteta?

Great day results wise, both Mancs losing, toffees losing, just need the scum to lose, although I suppose the best result for us would be a draw in that one.

Mikel Arteta confirmed in post-match that the decision to give Havertz the penalty was not pre-planned and that the players took it upon themselves based on the ‘questions around him externally’.📻

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

He lost the ball unnecessarily, I'm not including when he was involved in tackle sets... He had the ball and Gave It Away! - There is a difference between losing the ball in the midst of challenges etc

But His passing was Poor, His Thinking and decision Making were Poor, I wish to hell they weren't but he looks like a square peg in a round hole who also doesn't know where he is meant to be.

If you look on his thread, I have backed him - arguing to give him time etc etc... But He simply isn't showing any improvement.

I'm glad he was given and scored the penalty as it will hopefully boost his confidence etc. It is also obvious that the players 'Know' he is struggling ...hence the opportunity to score - Lot's of pressure on him - And then their Celebrations with and for him!

But he needs to shape up Fast, or else become a target for even the most optimistic of his & Arsenal fans.

RJG23

Post by RJG23 »

Thing is we say give him time but it's been 7-8 games. Not really giving him time to gel into a system that is constantly changing and very technical. We all know we play better football than Chelsea so he does need to adapt, and build his confidence back up.

I don't think it helps that he has the Ozil gene where his body language makes him look so uninterested and lazy. Add his lack of confidence and he definitely looks like a fish out of water.

His main problem for me is not knowing his best position. But I think given Arteta's recent transfer record and success, plus his clear ability to coach and improve players, we should be trusting him and give him a bit more time. A lot of people talk about Pep's signings taking a year to adjust, yet we judge after 7 games

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:goingtobed:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:50 pm
Thing is we say give him time but it's been 7-8 games. Not really giving him time to gel into a system that is constantly changing and very technical. We all know we play better football than Chelsea so he does need to adapt, and build his confidence back up.

I don't think it helps that he has the Ozil gene where his body language makes him look so uninterested and lazy. Add his lack of confidence and he definitely looks like a fish out of water.

His main problem for me is not knowing his best position. But I think given Arteta's recent transfer record and success, plus his clear ability to coach and improve players, we should be trusting him and give him a bit more time. A lot of people talk about Pep's signings taking a year to adjust, yet we judge after 7 games

People keep talking about it being unfair to judge him after half a dozen games or so, but how many more times do we have to say that you can’t ignore 3 crap seasons at Chelsea.

Tell me this, if we signed Harry Maguire and he was as pony as you’d expect after 6 games with us, would you be saying “give him time”, or would you be saying that we knew he was crap and why the fuck did Arteta buy him? That’s what I’d be saying.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:34 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Mikel Arteta confirmed in post-match that the decision to give Havertz the penalty was not pre-planned and that the players took it upon themselves based on the ‘questions around him externally’.📻

Thanks Mc.

Unprofessional decision making. I’d just about accept it if we were 4-0 up, but at 2 nil it’s dangerous. If he misses and then they nick a goal, then we’re under pressure.

No way was that not pre-planned. I suspect that El Basque (that does make me laugh) had spoken to Odegaard about it. Comes to something when you have to treat your £65 m signing like the new 10 year old kid at school. Fuck me. :roll:

RJG23

Post by RJG23 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:45 pm
RJG23 wrote:

People keep talking about it being unfair to judge him after half a dozen games or so, but how many more times do we have to say that you can’t ignore 3 crap seasons at Chelsea.

Tell me this, if we signed Harry Maguire and he was as pony as you’d expect after 6 games with us, would you be saying “give him time”, or would you be saying that we knew he was crap and why the fuck did Arteta buy him? That’s what I’d be saying.
It's all relative. If we signed any United player (same with any other Chelsea player) we'd have to accept they'd come from a shitshow and will need time to adjust and build confidence. Whereas if we signed a City player or certain Liverpool players who'd been performing week in week out you'd expect instant results (Jesus and Zinchenko perfect examples).

There's obvious signs of a good player in Havertz (his time at Leverkusen, spells at Chelsea) so you have to see the whole picture. Ode took a while to settle and impose himself as did many others in the past.

Think it's quite bad that we pick and choose which players to back. Remember when Saliba scored an OG a couple games into last season and the fans chanted his name. I have a feeling if Kai did the same the reaction would be different. And yes Saliba was performing better at the time, but surely the ones underperforming or low on confidence need the fans support more than others?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
RJG23 wrote:

It's all relative. If we signed any United player (same with any other Chelsea player) we'd have to accept they'd come from a shitshow and will need time to adjust and build confidence. Whereas if we signed a City player or certain Liverpool players who'd been performing week in week out you'd expect instant results (Jesus and Zinchenko perfect examples).

There's obvious signs of a good player in Havertz (his time at Leverkusen, spells at Chelsea) so you have to see the whole picture. Ode took a while to settle and impose himself as did many others in the past.

Think it's quite bad that we pick and choose which players to back. Remember when Saliba scored an OG a couple games into last season and the fans chanted his name. I have a feeling if Kai did the same the reaction would be different. And yes Saliba was performing better at the time, but surely the ones underperforming or low on confidence need the fans support more than others?

It’s a tiresome argument and I’ve had it already with SteveO. It doesn’t matter where the bloke comes from, especially if he’s coming from Utd or Chelsea, we are perfectly right to judge the guy on how he’s performed over the previous 3 years. Why buy a guy that hasn’t performed in the hope that he might come good…especially when he costs £65 m??

I’d have taken Rees James and Kovacic from Chelsea and they have been there through the dysfunction…a dysfunction that saw them win the CL by the way. You judge the player on what he shows and if you know what you’re looking at you can see it despite the side he’s playing in.

You also didn’t answer my question…would you be saying that we need to give Harry Maguire time if we bought him from Utd, or would you be saying he’s been crap at their place, so why does anyone expect a dramatic change at our place?

RJG23

Post by RJG23 »

Different scenarios really. I wouldn't want us to sign Maguire but that's because he's 30 and is performing terribly for club and country. But you can't say he wasn't performing very well at the end of his time at Leicester/beginning time at Utd, plus for England. That probably has more to do with him declining from his peak (as well as confidence), whereas Kai only recently turned 24 so it's a different scenario. He has time to get his confidence back and learn new systems/tactics and improve.

Would you have been happier if we signed Maguire 3-4 years ago? Probably.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:40 pm
Different scenarios really. I wouldn't want us to sign Maguire but that's because he's 30 and is performing terribly for club and country. But you can't say he wasn't performing very well at the end of his time at Leicester/beginning time at Utd, plus for England. That probably has more to do with him declining from his peak (as well as confidence), whereas Kai only recently turned 24 so it's a different scenario. He has time to get his confidence back and learn new systems/tactics and improve.

Would you have been happier if we signed Maguire 3-4 years ago? Probably.

Poor response. So because he’s 30 and not because he’s crap? If he were 25 you’d sign him?

Would you be happy to sign McTominey, who isn’t 30 but is also crap, and be telling us to give him time?

And no, I’ve wouldn’t have signed Maguire because I’ve never rated him.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:27 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 pm
RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:06 pm
I actually think Kai had a decent game there. Think we can be a bit quick to jump on mistakes but he made no more than anyone else. Great pen and hopefully kicks on to look more like a £65m player (won't be holding my breath for too long though)
You ARE Joking!!??

Before half-time he had given the ball away THREE times each occasion leading to three of their very few and restricted Attacks.

I want him to Succeed mate (as I'm sure we all do) but he really was our least affective & worst player on the pitch (again) :|
I see what you're saying but my issue with takes like this is, do you know how many times any other player lost the ball? Most likely a few players lost it 2, 3, maybe more times but we're focusing on Kai because he's new, from Chelsea, and cost a lot. Granted he's had a couple bad games but the others haven't been as bad as made out. It'll take a bit of time to gel, I know we want it to be instant but it's hardly ever the case only really elite players (eg Rice) can do that. The price tag isn's his fault, and if he came from somewhere else like Ajax or Monaco for example we'd be giving him more time before turning on him.
He's fucking shite.just accept it and move on. Should wnger have 4 more years, is xhaka quietly effective. Havertz will never make it in this league. 65m flushed.

the playing mantis

RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
RJG23 wrote:

The same saliba who who looked quality at marseille and from game one vs klive who's been shit for 3 years, cost 65m from a rival who laughed at us for helping them out and who keeps esr out of the team

Clutching at straws pal. He's shown nothing zilch to get any backing.

the playing mantis

Sounds like a comfortable win. Not seen any of it Cambridge for day and dinner and just back. I did chelc the scores earlier and had to post about the scum...pre dinner I clicked on bbc football feed thinking it must be full time...what is the next update as soon as I open it...matip og...cnuts...my fault I did it vs Sheffield utd too...chaos theory...thay result has spoilt my enjoyment of ours and the media will be full of them for thr title and all this shite...they are scraping by and having soooo much luck..its our fault too had we beaten them as we should last week that would be bubble burst and would have lost today.

I saw nothing to worry me against us thought they were poor. Yet they keep fluking it...worrying...

Oh and giving havertz the pen what stupidity, could easily have missed it given what we have seen so far and that could have been momentum swing. We need to ruthless. It cost us vs scum and others giving him a pen at 2 0 is needless...3 nil fine. One of my mates said he was shite again as does this thread yet some mouth breathers and the manager will use the pen as justification for another 6 games of dross.

Oh and Eddie was involved facking hell it's Bournemouth ffs he does ok vs champ oppo and the idiots again come out in his defence...utter shite. As long as we have these 2 clowns regularly starting for us top 4 will be a struggle, let alone the deluded who think City results have any impact on us, bar the invincibles honor, we need to be concerned with villa, brighton, newcastle and the scum.