Lens A Tues 3rd Oct 8pm Champs Lge matchday 2

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: Lens A Tues 3rd Oct 8pm Champs Lge matchday 2

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Arteta has taken a well oiled machine and rearranged the parts so we now resemble a Lada with a lawnmower engine. He’s currently sticking go faster stripes on it plus a spoiler. Totally fucking pointless. It will ultimately get him the sack.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Got everything we deserved

John F

Post by John F »

No doubt Arteta will say we dominated the game.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:06 pm
Exactly as lots of you have said on here, just like watching an early 2000s Wenger CL side. Well, tbh, like a Wenger CL side in any year other than 2006.

What the fuck is it with us in the CL against bang average sides? Perhaps just evidence that we're pretty much bang average ourselves. Haven't fired at all this season and don't look half the side we looked first half of last season. I keep saying it, but regardless of how much possession we have, we don't test the keeper anywhere near enough.

After they scored, all we had was a pretty tame effort from ESR and those coupe of scrambles at the death. How can you have 20 mins to get an equaliser and have only two efforts? We are really weak in the final 3rd.

This is entirely on Arteta. Didn't buy a striker, but blew £65 million on a total deadbeat in Havertz. He was far from the only non performer tonight, there's another 12, but he is crap in every fucking game. Trouble is, Arteta can't spend that money and then not play the bloke. He should be man enough to admit the mistake, but Wenger Mkll won't do that.

City must be quaking in their boots.
That's just about it pal, summed up in a few paras. Whilst we agree to disagree on Havertz, we needed to address other positions and the biggest thing above all us we needed to address was character. I love Big Dec but he can't do it all. That was as Wenger as it gets tonight. Tip tap. Back and forth. Side to side. Boring, gutless, slow and leaderless. 400m quid later and we're back to 2017 yay. Where's Mertesacker?

John F

Post by John F »

Most good managers can work out how to play Arsenal. Defend deep, don't worry about the lone short-arsed striker or the endless passing. Get the ball and pass it out behind Zinchenko to get a run on goal.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

We always struggle against a deep block, always. Gabriel becomes the playmaker late in the game FFS!! Arteta needs to stop the tippy tappy go nowhere shit.
Problem is, Ode and Saka are our creators, we lose one, Ode can't do it all on his own. The likes of Trossard, Havertz and Vieira have to show up, and two of them mostly NEVER turn up!

No excuses against City...... We didn't exactly run ourselves ragged tonight! :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 Mikel Arteta on Bukayo Saka injury: “It doesn’t look good”, told @arilasos.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:58 pm
Absolutely pathetic

Rice aside there isn't a single leadership figure amongst them and there'll be many more days like this one when the crowd and a physical team does us over

They are absolute ***** too

Not a single player deserves his wages tonight and yes its back to 100% Arteta out. 4 fucking years in charge in a couple of months and the previous fella got 16 months FFS

A truly shambolic ragbag performance that had Wenger 08-17 written all over it

11 massive bottle job wankers starting with the new joker in goal - I suppose we've lacked a Spanish clown in goal since Almunia so the ghost of Red Member lives on 😀😀😀
Spot on although to be honest I don’t actually remember us being as bad as that in Europe under Wenger.
At least back then we always had attacking options. - i really think our attacking options right now are the worst in over 30 years - im thinking Martin Hayes/Niall Quinn days. Jesus is ok but he is not an ou and out goal scorer. Nketiah is probably the worst striker I can ever remember at the club - makes Sanogo look like Pele

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

That was utterly shite and utterly predictable tonight :cry: Helmet hair should never have picked Saka :banghead: ffs what an utter bulge Arteta is :( No Martinelli or Saka this weekend :cry: I can see City bumming us again on sun.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:41 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:58 pm
Absolutely pathetic

Rice aside there isn't a single leadership figure amongst them and there'll be many more days like this one when the crowd and a physical team does us over

They are absolute ***** too

Not a single player deserves his wages tonight and yes its back to 100% Arteta out. 4 fucking years in charge in a couple of months and the previous fella got 16 months FFS

A truly shambolic ragbag performance that had Wenger 08-17 written all over it

11 massive bottle job wankers starting with the new joker in goal - I suppose we've lacked a Spanish clown in goal since Almunia so the ghost of Red Member lives on 😀😀😀
Spot on although to be honest I don’t actually remember us being as bad as that in Europe under Wenger.
At least back then we always had attacking options. - i really think our attacking options right now are the worst in over 30 years - im thinking Martin Hayes/Niall Quinn days. Jesus is ok but he is not an ou and out goal scorer. Nketiah is probably the worst striker I can ever remember at the club - makes Sanogo look like Pele
The common trait with Wenger post 2008 is that there is barely a leader amongst them. Rice is going to sucked into this "leadership group" FFS, which is code for "nobody takes responsibility"

Have a look back at Keown jumping on Van Horseface and behind that one picture you'll see a whole team of men and proper leaders. Parlour. Lauren grabbing Chuckle Jnr by the neck etc.

Nowadays I look at modern Vieira and a bunch of other weaklings

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

On if it was disappointing to see David Raya’s error in distribution for the goal...

No.

Lol - he's as deluded as his bum chum TeeCee

:D

Why can't people just admit when they're wrong FFS. I've done it many times. Let's all pretend Raya is great when he's really the second coming of Almunia because we all went on a Ramsdale rant

What a sorry state of affairs

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:48 pm
This is really really poor - we offer no attacking threat at all

Totally being found out at this level
Didn't see it forgot it was on, but problem is this is not a high level it's lens ffs they would be prem bottom half ...its all well and good folk saying CL isn't our level but we are in a piss easy group so really we have a big problem as none of the teams are any good yet we lose away at shithole lens.

We have been poor most of the season, the consistent in that is the persistence with havertz and the apparent tinkering with the system. Super genius manager has us gone backwards to shoehorn his 65m love child in, along with viera and the feather.

We should at least be as good as last year given rice but we are not...partey was immense first half of season...yes he went to shit but we are worse with him not playing. Rice should be in for xhaka. Yet we shoehorn havertz in and its playing with 10 men, worse than xhaka even...

Th gk situation is meh. Raya is meh rambo similar although hoped raya would spur him on to cut out the shot and stop palming it straight back in the danger area as he has a propensity to do. Raya seems better at some things worse at others. We have 2 decent not great keepers it seems.

Despite the weak links, lack of striker, Eddie no sign of esr, zinchenko liability leftback, we had the same last year and looked quite good. We have regressed and the only causes are arteta trying to be too clever (we didn't fail last year due to predictability, we failed due to burnout and lack of quality ) and the persistence of havertz who brings everything down.

Continue like that and we are fucked.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If we had had a Proper Striker playing last night those few chances we had in front of their goal would have been turned into Goals.

The fact we do not have a Proper Striker (No 9) will be our undoing; I mean besides the fact that we are nowhere near the silky, attacking, entertaining team we were last year...

:suicide:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

And why the late subs AGAIN.. its like Wenger again with his 70min rule.

These stubborn traits in Arteta are very worrying, doesn't look like he's learned from last season at all.

I can only think he thought a strong team would go 2 or 3 up and the he'd take off Saka and Co. bit arrogant really and undermines confidence of our backup players who should have had a run out.

Basically got things arse about face then waited too late to change things anyway, worst managerial performance since our dismal exit to villareal a few yrs back.

Only a group game so obviously recoverable but as I said worrying signs that he hasn't progressed as a manager, never mind the squad needing to evolve.. he needs to.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:27 am
And why the late subs AGAIN.. its like Wenger again with his 70min rule.

These stubborn traits in Arteta are very worrying, doesn't look like he's learned from last season at all.

I can only think he thought a strong team would go 2 or 3 up and the he'd take off Saka and Co. bit arrogant really and undermines confidence of our backup players who should have had a run out.

Basically got things arse about face then waited too late to change things anyway, worst managerial performance since our dismal exit to villareal a few yrs back.

Only a group game so obviously recoverable but as I said worrying signs that he hasn't progressed as a manager, never mind the squad needing to evolve.. he needs to.
It doesn't matter about it being a group game - my issue is that whenever we play someone in Europe in a big atmosphere and who turn up the heat against us, we are absolute shit. The PSV away game last season was the same. Sporting etc

We have been given a gift of a group and should sail through without defeat. Instead we'll be scraping through if at all