Partey

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Partey

Post by the playing mantis »

Merge away if a thread.

I know many think he's shit and injury prone liability, which he is (the latter) but imo he's the main thing missing since our good showing for 2/3rds of last season to this seasons turgid shit...he was fit for most of that then it went to shit when he got crocked...

Rice is great but as one of either arseblog or le Grove pointed out for once corectly, we miss his passing between the lines which gave us a central threat, helped odergaard and the 'forwards'....we have no one who can do that...he also moves it forward quick...we missing all that...

Not ignoring the stupid tweaks by arteta but feel the above is a big reason we have looked so shit and impotent this season.

Partey is unreliable and needs to be shifted but we need someone who can stay fit and do what he can do...or at least did for 2/3rds of last season.

Retro Gunner

Re: Partey

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:44 am
Merge away if a thread.

I know many think he's shit and injury prone liability, which he is (the latter) but imo he's the main thing missing since our good showing for 2/3rds of last season to this seasons turgid shit...he was fit for most of that then it went to shit when he got crocked...

Rice is great but as one of either arseblog or le Grove pointed out for once corectly, we miss his passing between the lines which gave us a central threat, helped odergaard and the 'forwards'....we have no one who can do that...he also moves it forward quick...we missing all that...

Not ignoring the stupid tweaks by arteta but feel the above is a big reason we have looked so shit and impotent this season.

Partey is unreliable and needs to be shifted but we need someone who can stay fit and do what he can do...or at least did for 2/3rds of last season.
Tbh Mantis, if we've paid £105m for a bloke that can't do what Partey does (which in my opinion is nothing special), then we've made a mistake. Personally, I don't particularly rate Partey and think that Rice is more capable, but the fly in the ointment is Havertz. If Partey were fit, then he only plays if Havertz is dropped and I'm not convinced that's happening anytime soon. Partey and Rice ought to be a lot better than Partey and Xhaka, but Havertz and anyone else is a disaster.

The other big difference is that teams worked out half way through last season that if you keep our wingers quiet by doubling up, then we've got fuck all else to hurt you. We need to replace Partey with a quality centre mid, add a proper goalscorer (both things we were all saying in the summer) and get shot of Granit Havertz.....sadly, I don't think any of that is going to happen in the foreseeable future. :(

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm
Merge away if a thread.

Tbh Mantis, if we've paid £105m for a bloke that can't do what Partey does (which in my opinion is nothing special), then we've made a mistake. Personally, I don't particularly rate Partey and think that Rice is more capable, but the fly in the ointment is Havertz. If Partey were fit, then he only plays if Havertz is dropped and I'm not convinced that's happening anytime soon. Partey and Rice ought to be a lot better than Partey and Xhaka, but Havertz and anyone else is a disaster.

The other big difference is that teams worked out half way through last season that if you keep our wingers quiet by doubling up, then we've got fuck all else to hurt you. We need to replace Partey with a quality centre mid, add a proper goalscorer (both things we were all saying in the summer) and get shot of Granit Havertz.....sadly, I don't think any of that is going to happen in the foreseeable future. :(
Totally agree Retro, we desperately need a real goal scoring physical pacey threat up front....Toney may just fit the bill...i believe it would transform the team

But what will arteta do...another lightweight midfielder?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:19 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:51 pm
Merge away if a thread.

Totally agree Retro, we desperately need a real goal scoring physical pacey threat up front....Toney may just fit the bill...i believe it would transform the team

But what will arteta do...another lightweight midfielder?

Yep, probably Red. Mkll is exactly like his mentor and loves a few lightweight tippy tappy blokes on the firm. The sort that do as they're told and don't have opinions or ask awkward questions. Follow the process.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨Thomas Partey undergoes minor treatment procedure on his thigh injury as his return to fitness is delayed. Will likely miss rest of 2023. News will impact on Arsenal's January plans. Story:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I despise this c.unt, completely detest him and the sooner he’s fucked out the better.

GET FUCKING RID :twisted:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:54 pm
I despise this c.unt, completely detest him and the sooner he’s fucked out the better.

Well Rodders, you and I were both saying in the summer that this bloke needed replacing. He’s been a big disappointment from day one imo, bang average and frequently injured. We needed an upgrade to go alongside Rice. Instead of that, Legohead bought Havertz as the forward midfielder, a position where we already had ESR, Trossard and even Vieira, all of whom are way in front of Havertz.

Arteta’s summer fuck ups are coming home to roost. No replacement for Partey, no striker and signing Raya and Havertz.

Fuck me. :(

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Retro as I've said before if only one were to go out of Partey and Xhaka as happened last summer I'd have picked the sick note brittle bastard all day long.

I have zero tolerance for perma crocks :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:01 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:54 pm

Well Rodders, you and I were both saying in the summer that this bloke needed replacing. He’s been a big disappointment from day one imo, bang average and frequently injured. We needed an upgrade to go alongside Rice. Instead of that, Legohead bought Havertz as the forward midfielder, a position where we already had ESR, Trossard and even Vieira, all of whom are way in front of Havertz.

Arteta’s summer fuck ups are coming home to roost. No replacement for Partey, no striker and signing Raya and Havertz.

Fuck me. :(
Yes all spot on Retro....

Midz

Post by Midz »

Partey might've done well when he played for Atletico but he's never shown that form since he came to Arsenal. He's had a couple of good games for sure and scored a couple of good goals but that's not enough to justify 1. his transfer fee & 2. his place in the team.
He's spent far too much time on the injury list and when he has played his poor performances compared to good are like 80/20 %.
And now we're being told he's injured again and has had surgery and won't be available to at least the beginning of 2024.

I've never been keen on this guy as a player or a person (just my opinion) and think we should get rid of him for whatever any team will pay and asap.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:33 am
Retro as I've said before if only one were to go out of Partey and Xhaka as happened last summer I'd have picked the sick note brittle bastard all day long.

I have zero tolerance for perma crocks :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
As shit as Partey can be, I don't think he has ever singlehandedly cost us a title through being a brain dead useless self centered childish mong cûnt, something Lobotomy Clive has managed though. :roll:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

When fit he is top drawer.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 pm

Blimey Bob, I've never seen anything to suggest anything other than very average.

I'm always suspicious when we pay a lot of money for an established guy playing in Europe and none of the big clubs are after them. It's a yardstick that hasn't often let me down. I've said it on here before, but a prime example was Pepe. Had he really been a £72 m player, then the big boys would have been involved and that generally means we don't land the player. No one else was interested in Pepe and certainly not at that price, so we got him and he was crap.

I feel the same way about Partey...had he been "top drawer", then I'm sure that Barca and RM would have snapped him up and there would at least have been serious interest from other European and English top clubs. There wasn't.

Bottom line, I tend to take the view that if a player is genuinely worth £50 m +, then we'll be outbid by the big boys in terms of fee and wages. Whatever we might like to think, we're not a top tier club (our chronic lack of success in Europe underscores that) and most top players will have their heads turned by the real contenders.

Ps. Someone is sure to mention that we signed Rice. Well, as pleased as I am with his performances, we well overpaid in my opinion. He was also London based and on the face of it after last season, he would have thought he was moving to a club that was on the verge of real success. Oops.

the playing mantis

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:33 pm
Spot on loads of revisionism on here ignoring how good he was 2/3rd last season. He got injured we fell apart.

Yes he needs replacing as sicknote but when fit last season he was excellent.

Not often I disagree with Retro but do here

the playing mantis

Partey already played for one of thre top clubs in Europe before we signed him. Pepe didn't.. he wanted to come to England and we were the only ones willing to meet his release clause and pay huge wages...

Had he stayed fit last year we have one the league...