Palarsepieces H Sat 20th Jan KO 1230

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: Palarsepieces H Sat 20th Jan KO 1230

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:11 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:38 pm
Thynker wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:11 pm
For those who saw the full game, how did ESR play when he came on?
For me: A Positive performance, contributed more in his 20 minutes than havertz did for 70 minutes. Came close to having an opportunity to have a strike on goal a couple of times, but for the passes / crossed be intercepted by their defenders.
Also he has both the skill and willingness to run at the opposition and (again) for me one of the few players in our squad who can and will do that.

I'd give him a 7 out of 10. (havertz 5 at most or even a 4)
I think you'll find ESR did more in his 20 minute cameo than Haveashit has done all season.
Really positive and tries to drive forwards

While nobody (except diet pep) can dispute that, to me the more obvious comparison is with odeargod cos most of the time it is odeargod who is playing in his position - I will continually say that imo our pussified captain takes FAR too many tippy tappy touches before he releases the ball, where as smith-rowe most of the time takes a touch and moves it on with his second or third touch. The difference a quick release makes to the speed of our attacks is huge, and especially when all the fans and pundits continually point out how opposition teams double up on our wingers (especially saka) - it is so obvious that a slow methodical build up allows opposition time to get back into position, but yet our genius tactician ( :roll: ) cant seem to see that
Several of our team hold onto the ball far too long
Saka, Martinelli, Zinchencko, Odegaard are the worst culprits, inviting challenges.

I think they have been told, control it, take a touch, make sure, play safe easy passes.

The difference a one touch give and go can make to take a defender or two out of the game is simple yet so effective, especially given our pace up top ( no Eddie, not you :roll: )

Smith Rowe, looked sharp and lively, actually driving forward with the ball, which is something I love to see.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

augie wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thynker wrote:
For me: A Positive performance, contributed more in his 20 minutes than havertz did for 70 minutes. Came close to having an opportunity to have a strike on goal a couple of times, but for the passes / crossed be intercepted by their defenders.
Also he has both the skill and willingness to run at the opposition and (again) for me one of the few players in our squad who can and will do that.

I think you'll find ESR did more in his 20 minute cameo than Haveashit has done all season.

While nobody (except diet pep) can dispute that, to me the more obvious comparison is with odeargod cos most of the time it is odeargod who is playing in his position - I will continually say that imo our pussified captain takes FAR too many tippy tappy touches before he releases the ball, where as smith-rowe most of the time takes a touch and moves it on with his second or third touch. The difference a quick release makes to the speed of our attacks is huge, and especially when all the fans and pundits continually point out how opposition teams double up on our wingers (especially saka) - it is so obvious that a slow methodical build up allows opposition time to get back into position, but yet our genius tactician ( :roll: ) cant seem to see that
Spot on. There was a moment I think in the first half, where odeargod should have controlled and passed down the line to I think Trossard to run onto who was away - 2 touches, no more. He took half dozen, turned back on himself, turned back again and passed the ball into a congested area in front of the 18 yard box. Full on Hleb :roll:

It just slows the attack down. Look at the last 2 goals with quick penetrative passing

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

ESR only has one thing on his mind when he receives the ball - GO FORWARD !. Say no more. :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm
augie wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thynker wrote:

Spot on. There was a moment I think in the first half, where odeargod should have controlled and passed down the line to I think Trossard to run onto who was away - 2 touches, no more. He took half dozen, turned back on himself, turned back again and passed the ball into a congested area in front of the 18 yard box. Full on Hleb :roll:

It just slows the attack down. Look at the last 2 goals with quick penetrative passing
I said the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago mate, he does it All the fuckin time, it's as if his brain isn't quick enough to see /know what is happening and what needs to be done. Whether it's Arteta's micro managing (and has given explicit instructions) or whether it's Odeargod unable to play at high tempo... it definitely slows the game down. Which is just another reason he shouldn't be Captain - You see Rice both Think and Act quickly even when he's surrounded and in a difficult place on the field, 9 times out of 10 he manages to get the ball away or to a safer area...whether that's by passing or driving forward himself into open space so he can then pass the ball.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ray C wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:27 pm
ESR only has one thing on his mind when he receives the ball - GO FORWARD !. Say no more. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Agreed 1,000% :high5:

It is Criminal that he isn't playing every week ... I'm surprised he has stuck around..... Arteta has decided how he want's the team to play ie: Possession first and foremost; which necessitates lots of tippy tap sideways backwards adfinitum :yawn:... But ESR's Natural game is as you have said is to (automatically) Drive forward, he reads the game and spaces really well... But because he doesn't take loads of touches and then tippy tap the ball etc... It doesn't fit in with Arteta's strict (boring) system.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:25 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:18 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:57 am
gazzatt2 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:32 am

in the summer we would go to the beech to pull
knot always successfully
:lol: :lol:

Sometimes you'd find a location full of birds and think you had them in the palm of your hand and then not pull and realise you needed to branch out.... :-P
When I didn't pull, I used to think that's not fir :D

Sometimes you just need a splash of old spice. You know, just spruce yourself up. :D
Especially if you wanted to Larch onto one of them, perhaps a touch of Eucalyptus behind the Ear might work, or a touch of Juniper; especially if their name was Holly or Hazel or Cherry. :D
Great result today,nice to todger them up the fartbox the *word censored*..On to the tree theme :rubchin: I wonder if anything will grow from today's tiny acorn :rubchin: Perhaps today's win will be the green shoots :oops: of recovery for our season..I'll get my coat..It's Forest next :rubchin:

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Nice to see us get the rub of the green for once.
Gabriel was clearly fouling for the first goal just as he was in turn being fouled by Newcastle for their goal recently.
Great to get a bad ref decision in our favour for once.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Martinellis 2 goals very Henry like

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:27 pm
Martinellis 2 goals very Henry like
Absolutely. 8) Drop the left shoulder, bend it with the instep into the opposite corner. It's almost unstoppable even though its very obvious what he's going to do. There is no keeper I can think of that can save those. Jesus never tries it. The Feather seldom tries it. But it should be part of any striker's repertoire.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thynker wrote:

Yes frustrating ...but its not just about winning you have to control the game ...apparently... :roll:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:58 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:57 am

Sometimes you'd find a location full of birds and think you had them in the palm of your hand and then not pull and realise you needed to branch out.... :-P

Sometimes you just need a splash of old spice. You know, just spruce yourself up. :D
Especially if you wanted to Larch onto one of them, perhaps a touch of Eucalyptus behind the Ear might work, or a touch of Juniper; especially if their name was Holly or Hazel or Cherry. :D
Great result today,nice to todger them up the fartbox the *word censored*..On to the tree theme :rubchin: I wonder if anything will grow from today's tiny acorn :rubchin: Perhaps today's win will be the green shoots :oops: of recovery for our season..I'll get my coat..It's Forest next :rubchin:
If it’s forest next week I wonder if we’ll be able to see Chris Wood for the trees?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:48 am
falkirk goon wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nick Nack wrote:

If it’s forest next week I wonder if we’ll be able to see Chris Wood for the trees?
If only Timber was available.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:25 am
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm hoping we win tree nil :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Ohhh! Don't be such a sap.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:27 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:

Ohhh! Don't be such a sap.
Hopefully havertz will be axed for this one