Burnley bulbeyes A Sat 17th Feb KO 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Burnley bulbeyes A Sat 17th Feb KO 3pm

Post by OneBardGooner »

Extended Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pbsrT68No

Till now I thought he was a tad 'slow' but Kiwior showing good pace down the left flank to overlap Gabby and draw the defender away....Also able to put in a decent pass/cross.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I know we've beaten a couple of poor outfits in the last couple of games, but Arteta shouldn't change this line up...other than Havertz, who despite his goal was piss poor as usual.

I said last week that Arteta has to keep Trossard in the side (not sure what more the bloke has to do to earn it?) and as many have said on here, Kiwior, although generally a centre half, has done well at LB. The balance and structure of the team looks so much better with a conventional back four and without Zinchenko and the ridiculous inverted bullshit. We don't miss Jesus either, but I've no doubt that Cone Boy will disrupt things and stick Zinchenko and Jesus straight back in when they're fit.

Also, imagine this team with a proper striker rather than Jesus or Granit Havertz. Oh well.

Still, it all looks a bit more positive than it did a few weeks ago, but I'm too hard bitten to get carried away just yet. Let's see what happens against the stiffer tests to come.

Up the Gunners.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

With Kiwior at conventional left back Rice is building a rapport with Martinelli which balances us . On the right White , Odegaard and Saka work well together and when Zinchenko plays we tend to be too right sided.
With Jesus and Trossard the Belgian spends more time running off of Havertz and picking up on his miscontrols and the havoc he causes , whereas Jesus likes to pick up from deep and run in with the ball .
Havertz is doing a kind of Alan Smith job and with Trossard together in my opinion they make a better combination.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:05 am
With Kiwior at conventional left back Rice is building a rapport with Martinelli which balances us . On the right White , Odegaard and Saka work well together and when Zinchenko plays we tend to be too right sided.
With Jesus and Trossard the Belgian spends more time running off of Havertz and picking up on his miscontrols and the havoc he causes , whereas Jesus likes to pick up from deep and run in with the ball .
Havertz is doing a kind of Alan Smith job and with Trossard together in my opinion they make a better combination.

I think Havertz is absolutely fucking useless, but I want Trossard in the side and it's possible that Trossard and Havertz might work better than Trossard and Jesus, despite Jesus being an undoubtedly better footballer than the German dud.

As I said before, imagine both Jesus and Havertz being replaced with a proper centre forward. It should have happened last summer and Havertz should never have been bought.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Havertz but he does create a foil for Trossard and the positions that Trossard takes up is more beneficial than Jesus running into the box from deep . I just think that until we get that central player ,(if we ever do ) it's a better combination.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The team are playing fantastic football - a joy to watch, so lets not be negative about quality of opposition etc. Plenty of teams have struggled against Burnley, nobody else will win by 6 at West Ham and we're the only team to beat Liverpool without them being reduced to 9 men

Kudos to Arteta and the team

The big questions we know are still to come - we looked pretty damn decent this time last year too. In January 2023 we won at the vermin, beat Man Ure, and the only league defeat in Jan/Feb in total was Man City. We would have won all of our other games in Feb if they hadn't "forgotten to draw the lines on against Brentford". We looked fab in March too - Fulham and Palace absolutely splattered, then we stuffed Leeds in the first week of April

The team are doing what I hoped and expected - we have a very good team when they are on song, and they are capable of destroying everyone on their day. Its a joy to watch. What happened last year after all that was the suicide committed in successive games at Anfield and West Ham where we threw away 2 goal leads - and the team proved they didn't have the mental strength to respond. After twatting Leeds 4-1 on 1st April we dropped points against Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, City, Brighton and Forest. 3 points out of a possible 18. That's what this team is facing this year - are they stronger mentally? We won't know till then

Great football, great credit - we won't know what it means till April

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:13 pm
The team are playing fantastic football - a joy to watch, so lets not be negative about quality of opposition etc. Plenty of teams have struggled against Burnley, nobody else will win by 6 at West Ham and we're the only team to beat Liverpool without them being reduced to 9 men

The big questions we know are still to come - we looked pretty damn decent this time last year too. In January 2023 we won at the vermin, beat Man Ure, and the only league defeat in Jan/Feb in total was Man City. We would have won all of our other games in Feb if they hadn't "forgotten to draw the lines on against Brentford". We looked fab in March too - Fulham and Palace absolutely splattered, then we stuffed Leeds in the first week of April

The team are doing what I hoped and expected - we have a very good team when they are on song, and they are capable of destroying everyone on their day. Its a joy to watch. What happened last year after all that was the suicide committed in successive games at Anfield and West Ham where we threw away 2 goal leads - and the team proved they didn't have the mental strength to respond. After twatting Leeds 4-1 on 1st April we dropped points against Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, City, Brighton and Forest. 3 points out of a possible 18. That's what this team is facing this year - are they stronger mentally? We won't know till then

We have brighton and citeeh away in march and the chavs at home too, so we might know before then (although we are miles better than the chavs imo). I understand the argument is that every team has to play all other teams home and away in a league season, but I do think the fact that we have the scum, citeeh and manure away (along with brighton and wolves) does suggest that our second half of the season is far tougher than our first half of the season, so it might give skewed view. That said I havent looked at the remaining fixtures for citeeh and the victims, so maybe they have tough run ins too ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:24 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:13 pm

We have brighton and citeeh away in march and the chavs at home too, so we might know before then (although we are miles better than the chavs imo). I understand the argument is that every team has to play all other teams home and away in a league season, but I do think the fact that we have the scum, citeeh and manure away (along with brighton and wolves) does suggest that our second half of the season is far tougher than our first half of the season, so it might give skewed view. That said I havent looked at the remaining fixtures for citeeh and the victims, so maybe they have tough run ins too ?
I still think we are being spoken about as underdogs to both City and Liverpool in most places which is probably helping us - most people had totally written us off over Xmas. I don't even think it comes down to who we play. Go back to the games I mentioned above - Southampton, West Ham and Forest were all teams we would have beaten at earlier points of the season with the pressure off. I wouldn't be surprised if we excel in those games you mention in March. The REAL test will then be if we have done well during that period. We will possibly be top of the league and start being spoken about as being favourites again......and that for me is the acid test of this team, just as it was Wenger's later teams. When we're number 1 we fold generally. If we can f+++ it up against a Saints team that were first relegated, we sure as hell can against Luton and Bournemouth

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

We have Liverpool, man utd and the spuds away so very difficult.

Liverpool seem to be playing all the big games at home.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:51 pm

We dont play Liverpool again in the league,we drew 1-1 at Anfield already

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:59 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:51 pm

We dont play Liverpool again in the league,we drew 1-1 at Anfield already
Apologies I meant Man City

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Apology accepted :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:33 pm
Thank you :-D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:45 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:33 pm
Thank you :-D
Get a room you tramps. :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin:

So does that mean if I apologise to Kylie (Minogue) for stalking her that the ban will be lifted and she and I can "Get A Room". :-P :D