THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

Post by A11M11 »

Ray C wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:28 am
Lucky to manage a draw. Sane killed us in the first half with his speed & they should have been 3 up.
Not confident about either the return game OR the next few PL games. At least we'll finish in the top 4 !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Agreed they were quicker to the ball for much of the first half and their closing down was impressive at half time I thought a draw was as good as we would get. Obviously in the ground at the other end the Saka penalty looked nailed on but as you don't get to see anything contentious in the ground no replays were shown so you have to rely on Twitter ( X ) to form an opinion . I don't think anyone in the ground noticed the Gabriel pick up , obviously not even the ref.
If Raya and his back 4 learn to communicate a bit we might get to penalties again but we really need to speed up both our pace on the pitch and our attention to their movement .
Despite their position in their league this lot are a good well organised team , it will be close.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:15 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 pm
I'll say it again. Our fans were a joke tonight

My lad was there tonight - aged 23 - with a whole group of mates who were experiencing this level of match as adults for the first time ever

The atmosphere was awful! Wait till we go out there - it will be a cauldron of noise for 90 mins
I went. Honestly Steve it wasn’t that bad. Obviously tension when we went behind.
It did sound deathly quiet from the minute they equalised and especially so at 1-2 down. The fans who did stay to the end made up for it though when the Window Licker was being interviewed by TNT in front of a group of them! I just know when we travel to Munich the atmosphere will be red hot and it sounded like it was for 20 mins or so yesterday

augie

Post by augie »

Some of my non Gooner buddies sometimes ask me why I am pessimistic when it comes to AFC - last night summed up exactly why I am the way I am. I get the argument that was made about bayern not being sheffield utd, but this is a shite bayern team having a horrendous season, and managed by a bluffer who is basically serving out his notice until they bring in a proper manager - I literally couldnt foresee anything other than a home win last night, but yet in reality we were lucky to get a draw :oops: :oops: The problems that have been under the surface for large parts of the season were again brought to the fore as they were against porto, and the chief failing is that when the pressure comes on, this manager and most of these players shit the bed :evil:

1. The first goal last night was 100% on raya - where the absolute fcuk was he going ??? People can question gabriel's pass or kiwor's reaction to it, but basically our keeper had an almighty brain fart and was caught in the middle of nowhere to the extent that gabriel couldnt even pass it back to him :roll:

2. What exactly did the cone boy see in the first half that made him think that bringing in zinchenko for kiwor was going to fix all ?? It is like he shone a spotlight on kiwor and said he is at fault for our inept first half performance, and that wasnt the case at all. I used to say that zinchenko is a good footballer but a shit defender, but he isnt even a good footballer anymore - he lost so much possession last night that it defies belief and backs up the theory that the cone boy has his substitutions decided in advance of the game.

3. This was partey's third substitute appearance lately, and it is no exaggeration to say that he has been dogshite in all 3 appearances - I have been a fan of the guy in the past but the reality is that he has been out injured for a long time and clearly isnt up to speed, so why bring him on ??

4. Along with the two players I have already mentioned, I also thought that odeargod was dogshite (far too many touches before releasing the ball), white was dogshite and rice was absolutely anonymous - I dont buy this clap trap about rice being concerned about being a yellow card away from suspension, cos proper leaders focus on the result (as that manu c.unt keane did against juve many moons ago). Of the 3 midfielders last night, Jorginho was by far the most influencial and yet he again was subbed - like I said already, it seems the subs are planned in advance and take no consideration of how individual players are performing. Between fcuking up for the first goal and lying down for their penalty, I would have been tempted to sub raya at half time - people annointed him as a success on the back of penalty saves against porto and I urged caution cos I still dont see a quality keeper in him.

5. Two players that I have given out a fair bit about this season, really stood up last night when others wilted - havertz worked his nuts off and jesus did the same when he came on, and sometimes all you need to lift a team and fans is a bit of hard work and they embodied that last night. I dont agree with the criticism of martinelli (partially cos of the shit service from an ineffective midfield), but I also was delighted for trossard who again showed what an absolute bargain he has been for us. Its comical that two weeks ago smith-rowe got motm against luton and he hasnt got as much as one second on the pitch since :roll: The dispensing of away goals rule means that last night wasnt must win as such, but I would have brought him on ahead of partey and actually gone for it, but no matter what he does he will always be on fringes with the cone boy

Getting the draw last night was important - I was seriously worried that a defeat last night would lead to a collapse in the league so hopefully that is staved off for now. We def need much bigger performances in munich from the 3 rocks on which this team is built (saliba, gabriel and rice) cos none can be pleased with last nights showing

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I never really expected much of us in this competition to be honest. One, because we're Arsenal and our general European history is abysmal, and two, because most other teams chasing the holy grail have spent years trying before they succeed - City, Chavski etc. Even PSG can't quite ever manage it.

Not that the Europa League can be compared quality wise, but our lack of European pedigree shows and this is why in previous seasons I've been more vocal than most when it comes to us tossing away that competition. A run to the final last year would just add that bit of experience. Whilst we wouldn't have been playing Bayern or Man City, a win against Sporting and we'd have been up against Juventus before a game with Sevilla/Man Ure and ultimately Roma or Leverkusen. Games which would have been worthy, competitive and invaluable experience of different styles and different atmospheres. In many ways we have ourselves to blame for our lack of experience.

Experience was the key difference last night. They went 1-0 down and didn't panic despite at that point not having registered a single shot and almost going 2-0 down. I hate to think how we would have reacted in the same situation in Munich. Likewise if they go 1-0 up early on in Munich watch what happens. They sure as hell won't be defending on the half way line and allowing our quickest players free runs for 30 yards or 1-on-1 situations to get us back into it. They'll suck the life out of the game and drop deep.

I'm not hating on the team - far from it. I simply think its a matter of experience....they have it, we don't....and it shows

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

We looked nervous from the start, they kept the ball for long periods
Sane should never have been allowed to run past at least 4 Arsenal defenders....and not one tackle FFS
White had a chance....that was a big moment...if it had gone in believe we would have won
Been a long time since Martinelli actually took his defender on....
Trossard always seems to deliver...good finisher
We missed Rice....he was never in the game...no real impact...no ball winning tackles...no inspirational play
Havertz had some tidy touches under pressure...but disappears too much for my liking
Kiwior exposed at this level...zinchenko FFS dont even go there

If we play like we did at City we have a real chance.....going to be one tough night

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 am
Some of my non Gooner buddies sometimes ask me why I am pessimistic when it comes to AFC - last night summed up exactly why I am the way I am. I get the argument that was made about bayern not being sheffield utd, but this is a shite bayern team having a horrendous season, and managed by a bluffer who is basically serving out his notice until they bring in a proper manager.
Augie, I agree with some of what you have said in this post but no way is that Bayern team shite. Look at their line up, I’d say 5 or possibly 6 of their players walk straight into our starting line up. Also in no way shape or form was this a game for Emile smith Rowe.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I really hope I'm wrong but last night showed exactly why we won't win either the PL or CL this year because at any moment one of our players is capable of a brain fart to fuck everything up. Had Raya not gone walk about then we probably get a win on the night but once you're gifting teams with European experience, they'll make you pay. Add to him, what was Gabriel at, if Dier had done that at the other end and no penalty was given, I'd go nuts. It's hard to grasp a player in the last 8 of Europe, picking up a ball that was kicked to him by the GK, even Mustafi wouldn't have done that :banghead:

I still question the real bottle of this team and I think when push comes to shove, we are much more likely to bottle it when pressure comes on :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

c.unts stole a march on us. :cry: :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 am
Some of my non Gooner buddies sometimes ask me why I am pessimistic when it comes to AFC - last night summed up exactly why I am the way I am. I get the argument that was made about bayern not being sheffield utd, but this is a shite bayern team having a horrendous season, and managed by a bluffer who is basically serving out his notice until they bring in a proper manager - I literally couldnt foresee anything other than a home win last night, but yet in reality we were lucky to get a draw :oops: :oops: The problems that have been under the surface for large parts of the season were again brought to the fore as they were against porto, and the chief failing is that when the pressure comes on, this manager and most of these players shit the bed :evil:

1. The first goal last night was 100% on raya - where the absolute fcuk was he going ??? People can question gabriel's pass or kiwor's reaction to it, but basically our keeper had an almighty brain fart and was caught in the middle of nowhere to the extent that gabriel couldnt even pass it back to him :roll:

2. What exactly did the cone boy see in the first half that made him think that bringing in zinchenko for kiwor was going to fix all ?? It is like he shone a spotlight on kiwor and said he is at fault for our inept first half performance, and that wasnt the case at all. I used to say that zinchenko is a good footballer but a shit defender, but he isnt even a good footballer anymore - he lost so much possession last night that it defies belief and backs up the theory that the cone boy has his substitutions decided in advance of the game.

3. This was partey's third substitute appearance lately, and it is no exaggeration to say that he has been dogshite in all 3 appearances - I have been a fan of the guy in the past but the reality is that he has been out injured for a long time and clearly isnt up to speed, so why bring him on ??

4. Along with the two players I have already mentioned, I also thought that odeargod was dogshite (far too many touches before releasing the ball), white was dogshite and rice was absolutely anonymous - I dont buy this clap trap about rice being concerned about being a yellow card away from suspension, cos proper leaders focus on the result (as that manu c.unt keane did against juve many moons ago). Of the 3 midfielders last night, Jorginho was by far the most influencial and yet he again was subbed - like I said already, it seems the subs are planned in advance and take no consideration of how individual players are performing. Between fcuking up for the first goal and lying down for their penalty, I would have been tempted to sub raya at half time - people annointed him as a success on the back of penalty saves against porto and I urged caution cos I still dont see a quality keeper in him.

5. Two players that I have given out a fair bit about this season, really stood up last night when others wilted - havertz worked his nuts off and jesus did the same when he came on, and sometimes all you need to lift a team and fans is a bit of hard work and they embodied that last night. I dont agree with the criticism of martinelli (partially cos of the shit service from an ineffective midfield), but I also was delighted for trossard who again showed what an absolute bargain he has been for us. Its comical that two weeks ago smith-rowe got motm against luton and he hasnt got as much as one second on the pitch since :roll: The dispensing of away goals rule means that last night wasnt must win as such, but I would have brought him on ahead of partey and actually gone for it, but no matter what he does he will always be on fringes with the cone boy

Getting the draw last night was important - I was seriously worried that a defeat last night would lead to a collapse in the league so hopefully that is staved off for now. We def need much bigger performances in munich from the 3 rocks on which this team is built (saliba, gabriel and rice) cos none can be pleased with last nights showing
As regards Rice he has been very good to outstanding in all his games this season...last night he went missing...his play was missing...why that is only he knows
As for the Gabrielle incident the ref saying he did see the handball but decided not to punish him for such a schoolboy error...which again is incredible...never before seen anything like that
If we repeat our Man City performance with a solid well drilled performance we could yet just get something out of this....

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rice looked absolutely shattered, and that clown Southgate playing him a full 90 mins in 2 meaningless FRIENDLY internationals a few weeks back definitely didnt help,hope the useless c##t gets the utd job
Last edited by mcdowell42 on Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:14 pm
Rice looked absolutely shattered, and that clown Southgate playing him a full 90 mins in 2 meaningiless FRIENDLY internationals a few weeks back definitely help,hope the useless c##t gets the utd job
yes agreed that was totally uneccessary....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Anyone else thinks it Odd that he(Southgate) plays one of our most important players beyond what was necessary and yet ignores another... :rubchin: Hmmmmmm!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

The Martinelli criticism is unfounded .If he had as much of the ball that Saka does he would be able to do more . Quite often he is standing in acres of space and the midfield will look to Odegaard who goes right to play his intricate one touch flicks with Saka and the overlapping White .
It seems that he is told to stay on the touchline whereas Trossard comes inside and joins the attack more. This has to be by design but until they get the same service on the left that Saka gets on the right they will both be the poor relations . Martinelli's game relies on pace but unless he gets the ball early he is negated .

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 pm
The Martinelli criticism is unfounded .If he had as much of the ball that Saka does he would be able to do more . Quite often he is standing in acres of space and the midfield will look to Odegaard who goes right to play his intricate one touch flicks with Saka and the overlapping White .
It seems that he is told to stay on the touchline whereas Trossard comes inside and joins the attack more. This has to be by design but until they get the same service on the left that Saka gets on the right they will both be the poor relations . Martinelli's game relies on pace but unless he gets the ball early he is negated .

He will never get the ball early from our captain who takes 10 touches before releasing the ball most of the time :roll: I have made this point for a long time now, but when you have two pacy wingers the key should ALWAYS be to get the ball to them early before opposition defences get time to double up on them - odeargod's constant need for multiple touches of the ball before releasing it would work well in la liga but it is a hinderance when you have pacy attackers and are playing a team who want to stop you playing

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am
A11M11 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 pm

He will never get the ball early from our captain who takes 10 touches before releasing the ball most of the time :roll: I have made this point for a long time now, but when you have two pacy wingers the key should ALWAYS be to get the ball to them early before opposition defences get time to double up on them - odeargod's constant need for multiple touches of the ball before releasing it would work well in la liga but it is a hinderance when you have pacy attackers and are playing a team who want to stop you playing
It's mental how much play is down the right hand side.