Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arteta has worked minor miracles in a somewhat short space of time to re-unite what was a very divided fan base after what happened with Wenger (in his last 10 years) and Sadly Emery paid the price in some ways.

However Arteta has shown that whilst he obviously has skills and abilities as a Manager, he also has Flaws or Blindspots that he keeps failing to address:

Re: Xhaka - Who (and I know some disagree) was the reason the wheels started to come off the Arsenal Wagon last season with his pathetic (so called Hard Man) Foolishness at Anfield. And he seems to be repeating that mistake with Zinchenko this season who like xhaka is a Total Liability .

When Zinchenko 'plays' :roll: Both Gabriel at CB and Rice in Midfield have Poor Games, one of the reasons for that is that they have to keep covering the space that Zinchenko at LB is meant to occupy but he keeps going walkabout, which tells me he doesn't have a Footballing Brain (That innate understanding of the game and how to play one's position in relation to the team and the systems they are using).

Arteta has his Favourites: Nketiah, Reis nelson, Vieira, Jesus and Zinchenko (Perhaps even Raya)..Jesus and Zinchenko were Pep's Cast Offs and Arteta fell for it and paid Good money for 2 players not good enough (Zinchenko - say no more) and Jesus good skills but a permacrock who cannot finish.
The rest ; maybe with the exception of Raya should have been sold last Summer or in the last window.

The thing is The Kroenkes see Profit as more important than Trophies (although the latter usually means the former as well) But they are distant / hands off owners and as long as Arsenal are making a Profit which they are Arteta is Going Nowhere.

As long as Arteta persists with the likes of zinchenko, Nketiah & Vieira etc... I Cannot bring myself to Fully Trust Him, I'll Support My Team 101% Like Most on here, But He definitely has 'Blind Spots' that unless addressed will cause us to fail time & time again. And That just Hurts All of Us.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Our first half was ok DB, we created some decent opportunities which the likes of a prime Auba or JVP would have buried and Trossard missed an absolute sitter. Oh for that to have gone in and us to reach HT 1 up :cry:

Villa were no threat apart from the calamity moment when Gabriel smashed the ball off Zinchenko which we got very lucky with to be fair.

But the second half? Awful. It was like the players ran a marathon during the interval and came back out in lead boots. Nobody comes out of that with any credit, the players, the subs, the manager or the fans in the ground.

The crowd were the 12th man in so many home games last season and pulled the team over the line on more than one occasion as a result. There was a truly special atmosphere inside the ground and what did the club do? Destroy it with the brain dead ballot and you’ve the ground emptying 10 minutes before half time and full time.

Absolute bollocks :banghead:

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:21 pm

Arteta has his Favourites: Nketiah, Reis nelson, Vieira, Jesus and Zinchenko (Perhaps even Raya)..Jesus and Zinchenko were Pep's Cast Offs and Arteta fell for it and paid Good money for 2 players not good enough (Zinchenko - say no more) and Jesus good skills but a permacrock who cannot finish.
The rest ; maybe with the exception of Raya should have been sold last Summer or in the last window.

As long as Arteta persists with the likes of zinchenko, Nketiah & Vieira etc... I Cannot bring myself to Fully Trust Him, I'll Support My Team 101% Like Most on here, But He definitely has 'Blind Spots' that unless addressed will cause us to fail time & time again. And That just Hurts All of Us.
Eddie, Vieira and Nelson never play. How can they be favourites honestly ? Zinchenko is a back up full back now. (Played because he won’t start Munich) and Jesus has been benched recently for Havertz.

I’d probably keep Jesus and flog the rest (maybe give vieira another season) but let’s be honest these guys are now fillers in the squad to cover for an injury crisis and are likely to be offed this summer and can hardly be considered favourites. They would have been gone if the club hadn’t made a 53 million pound loss this year and couldn’t afford better replacements.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:47 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 pm
We took 4 points from 6 from both city and Liverpool this season, a massive improvement on seasons past - it’s well wide of the mark to cal us flat track bullies.
That was what most on here stated marked out progress - being competitive In the big matches that count.

This season we have stepped up in those, sadly away v Fulham and home v West Ham will be our down fall
(in addition to home and away defeats to Villa)

Like last season, stupid points thrown away are going to cost us dearly. baring a very unlikely City capitulation

Dont do it to yourself Stuart - city dont do capitulations so dont even think about it, but regardless the victims would be the ones to take advantage if they slipped up not us cos they have easier run in
Oh I fully expect them to go on and complete another treble …..

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
We took 4 points from 6 from both city and Liverpool this season, a massive improvement on seasons past - it’s well wide of the mark to cal us flat track bullies.
That was what most on here stated marked out progress - being competitive In the big matches that count.

This season we have stepped up in those, sadly away v Fulham and home v West Ham will be our down fall

Like last season, stupid points thrown away are going to cost us dearly. baring a very unlikely City capitulation
True. But the assumption was we would start to step up in those matches but without then dropping points against the lesser teams.

It seems we can lift our game in spurts. We can go on great runs of form. But top teams and certainly champions do more than that, they also dig deep and grind out the results when it matters, when the pressure is on. Not having a pop at you here Stuart, I know you know this as you are old school, you've seen the old GG teams show real character.

For me that ability to dig deep and grind out results comes initially from the manager. He picks the players with character and then he works on making them even stronger. I don't think Arteta has that in him. I think he can maybe make them better technical footballers, but he seems to dislike really strong personalities and has an inability to teach players what it takes to be winners. I don't think he can instill that winners mentality.
I also saw a GG team lose at home to Derby, then draw with Wimbledon ( both at home ) to look like they had bottled big time their chance of the league title - to turn it around the following week at Anfield.

As reigning Champions I was also at Wrexham to witness us losing to a team that had finished in 92 place in the footballing pyramid.

Oh and Wenkers glorious double team of 98, needed penalties to get past Port Vale in the cup !

We do appear at times, to have that old Achilles heel of playing good football without taking our chances.
Yesterday was disappointing different from my perspective in that other than Trossards guilt edge chance that I still can’t believe stayed out :shock: Villa created far more than we did, scored 2, hit the post twice and generally out run and outfought us in the second half.

We lost so many 50/50’s and Villa were able to pick the ball up in the final third and turn and run at us as Rice had been pushed forward and no protection was there.

Villa are a good side, but we let them outplay us, we were flat, looked leggy, while they were missing 2/3 first choice players in particular in midfield but that was where they won the game remarkably.

I think maybe we focus far too much on the technical side of the game, the detailed patterns of play , that look great when they come off, but only come off every now and then.

Villa played out from the back and despite our press, they looked reasonably composed and comfortable doing so, while we often got the ball to Saka coming into our half, with his back to where he wants to go, a man tight up his backside, resulting in a Villa turnover.

Not once in that second half did I feel we were going to score.

Really disappointing, really flat, particularly given the scouse result.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:33 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Eddie, Vieira and Nelson never play. How can they be favourites honestly ? Zinchenko is a back up full back now. (Played because he won’t start Munich) and Jesus has been benched recently for Havertz.

I’d probably keep Jesus and flog the rest (maybe give vieira another season) but let’s be honest these guys are now fillers in the squad to cover for an injury crisis and are likely to be offed this summer and can hardly be considered favourites. They would have been gone if the club hadn’t made a 53 million pound loss this year and couldn’t afford better replacements.
The Feather should have been sold when there was a golden opportunity to offload the useless twat Vieira should NEVER have been signed... He's about as robust as a Cocktail stick... nelson was never going to be good enough, the money that could have been save don them alone would have paid for a proper Striker... Jesus a is a busted Crock.. and Zinchenko (again) should never have been bought... If people cannot see how Arteta has a 'Favouritim' policy then that speaks volumes. :? Also the sale of the feather & nelson could have paid off the £53million y9u speak of... and as for buying Vieira!? He was never nor ever will be "Physically" able to cope with the demands of the Prem.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:14 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

The Feather should have been sold when there was a golden opportunity to offload the useless twat Vieira should NEVER have been signed... He's about as robust as a Cocktail stick... nelson was never going to be good enough, the money that could have been save don them alone would have paid for a proper Striker... Jesus a is a busted Crock.. and Zinchenko (again) should never have been bought... If people cannot see how Arteta has a 'Favouritim' policy then that speaks volumes. :? Also the sale of the feather & nelson could have paid off the £53million y9u speak of... and as for buying Vieira!? He was never nor ever will be "Physically" able to cope with the demands of the Prem.
Even if the squad options are less preferable you need a squad of 25 players so have to have some squad players. You can’t just sell everyone. I repeat they can’t be “favourites” if they barely ever play and you can’t spend 100 million quid on every player we have.

People turning their insides out about minor decisions after one defeat is hysterical.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:02 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:59 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm

I've warned you before about the WUMing. That post is a complete WUM post to try and provoke a negative reaction from lads on here that have supported this club through thick and thin for decades, in some cases for 40 to 50 years. They just haven't done it dressed up as a blind sheep superfan. Who do you think you are to question that?

That's your last warning mate. Show some respect to the other members on here, do not question their loyalty, and cop on.
Sorry my intention isn’t to irritate. There’s been some decent posts on the subject today (Rodders, steve0) that I’ve said were good.

I’m no super fan was just a reminder to keep the faith. :barscarf:
No one here needs to be reminded to support their team. Supporting a team is more than just blind belief though. And any fan that has spent the kind of money most on here have spent over decades of support, is entitled to be angry when a supposedly elite manager and highly paid players shit the bed.
Hey I get it. I’ve spent a fortune following the club all over the place. Poxy friendlies overseas where half the team don’t even bother to turn up. Everyone is entitled to their view. I’m still hacked off about yesterday. The manager did make mistakes `(Vieira instead of ESR ) but a football match was lost that’s all. However DB I feel it very appropriate to offer a counter opinion on behalf of the fans who are fully behind this team and manager at this time because some of the opinions here are extreme so please don’t attack me for voicing my opinion.
It is upon this reason we are so upset, sir. We are just as ‘fully behind’ Arsenal as you, and your ‘Arteta in’ ilk are. You ‘supporting’ the current manager and his way of running the club does not make you any more or less of supporter than those who are disillusioned by his premiership over a yearly capitulation - be it a charge for the title or top four, since he has been in charge.

Arteta is not saintly, neither is your opinions on him. You are not attacked, and neither are your opinions. They are criticised just as is Arteta. Just because we find them, and he, shit does not me we are attacking you! You are as free to disagree and change and he is; and Lord may he do so.
Managers come and go....seen many over the years.....its the club and team you should support

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

True. But the assumption was we would start to step up in those matches but without then dropping points against the lesser teams.

It seems we can lift our game in spurts. We can go on great runs of form. But top teams and certainly champions do more than that, they also dig deep and grind out the results when it matters, when the pressure is on. Not having a pop at you here Stuart, I know you know this as you are old school, you've seen the old GG teams show real character.

For me that ability to dig deep and grind out results comes initially from the manager. He picks the players with character and then he works on making them even stronger. I don't think Arteta has that in him. I think he can maybe make them better technical footballers, but he seems to dislike really strong personalities and has an inability to teach players what it takes to be winners. I don't think he can instill that winners mentality.
I also saw a GG team lose at home to Derby, then draw with Wimbledon ( both at home ) to look like they had bottled big time their chance of the league title - to turn it around the following week at Anfield.

As reigning Champions I was also at Wrexham to witness us losing to a team that had finished in 92 place in the footballing pyramid.

Oh and Wenkers glorious double team of 98, needed penalties to get past Port Vale in the cup !

We do appear at times, to have that old Achilles heel of playing good football without taking our chances.
Yesterday was disappointing different from my perspective in that other than Trossards guilt edge chance that I still can’t believe stayed out :shock: Villa created far more than we did, scored 2, hit the post twice and generally out run and outfought us in the second half.

We lost so many 50/50’s and Villa were able to pick the ball up in the final third and turn and run at us as Rice had been pushed forward and no protection was there.

Villa are a good side, but we let them outplay us, we were flat, looked leggy, while they were missing 2/3 first choice players in particular in midfield but that was where they won the game remarkably.

I think maybe we focus far too much on the technical side of the game, the detailed patterns of play , that look great when they come off, but only come off every now and then.

Villa played out from the back and despite our press, they looked reasonably composed and comfortable doing so, while we often got the ball to Saka coming into our half, with his back to where he wants to go, a man tight up his backside, resulting in a Villa turnover.

Brings back memories...i was at those home games and Wrexham away ( getting pissed on wreham larger)..remember Hereford away as well with no banking so the short fuckers had to keep jumping up and down, and the prize bull on the pitch... :D

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Brings back memories...i was at those home games and Wrexham away ( getting pissed on wreham larger)..remember Hereford away as well with no banking so the short fuckers had to keep jumping up and down, and the prize bull on the pitch... :D
So half the forum were there as well?!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

This is correct and where we are end of season, a couple of points off top or a distant 3rd.

That's why I think some are lost their shit a bit too much over this result. Yes it's massively dissapointing and I fear the worst an implosion, but will hold fire until it happens. If it does. Hopefully it doesn't and its a sign we are getting better. All teams lose games all managers do. Hopefully he will learn, I fear he won't, but hope springs eternal.

If we so implode it's open season. If we don't then that is progress, but he gotta sign a proper striker ffs and not this championship bloke scoring a few in Portugal...

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:

So half the forum were there as well?!
:D :D :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

This is correct and where we are end of season, a couple of points off top or a distant 3rd.

That's why I think some are lost their shit a bit too much over this result. Yes it's massively dissapointing and I fear the worst an implosion, but will hold fire until it happens. If it does. Hopefully it doesn't and its a sign we are getting better. All teams lose games all managers do. Hopefully he will learn, I fear he won't, but hope springs eternal.

If we so implode it's open season. If we don't then that is progress, but he gotta sign a proper striker ffs and not this championship bloke scoring a few in Portugal...
Think the more pressure he has on him to sign a striker will make him dig in and not sign one....just a feeling

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:14 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

Even if the squad options are less preferable you need a squad of 25 players so have to have some squad players. You can’t just sell everyone. I repeat they can’t be “favourites” if they barely ever play and you can’t spend 100 million quid on every player we have.

People turning their insides out about minor decisions after one defeat is hysterical.
I Thought You Would Say Something Along Those Lines.

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Think the more pressure he has on him to sign a striker will make him dig in and not sign one....just a feeling

Last summer the fans, some ex players and of course the meeja were all saying that we needed a top class goalscoring striker and he refused to sign one, so how can we be confident that he will sign one this summer ? Already we are seeing crap leaked into the meeja about wanting to sign a versatile forward rather than a number 9 (a jack of all trades but master of fcuking none :roll: ), so that doesnt bode well either