Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 am
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 am
In one sense I’m finding it hard to get angry, we won 9 and drew 1 of the last 10 before yesterday and all that did was put us in a position where if we won 8 more in a row we’d win the league. 17 wins and a draw from the last 18 and the title is yours lads. Piece of piss.

City are just fucking exhausting, Liverpool drew against united last week, they’re dead. We lost yesterday - dead. Either win every week or forget about it, perfect or bust. The relentless machine that is city has caused both teams to implode and if it wasn’t for the covid asterix season they’d be on what now…..6/7 titles in a row?

Last season I really started to believe, people on here to be fair warned me and said city would win every game on the run in (which I really couldn’t see happening) and they were right. They churned out win after win after win after win and we disintegrated, they blew us away and they’ll do the exact same thing this season.

I want to be angry but we can’t live with them, nobody in this league can live with them and when they go back to back in the champions league this season it will show that no team in Europe can live with them. It’s completely disheartening and soul destroying.

What I am angry about though was the complete no show yesterday, especially second half where we never came out of the dressing room and every single player was found wanting. Not one fucking player stood up, not any of the starting 11 or any of the subs who were even worse.

I’m angry about the walking calamity that is Zinchenko, an accident waiting to happen every time he’s on the ball. I’m angry that we haven’t a centre forward worthy of the name at the club (how many goals have Jesus and Eddie got this season - embarrassing).

I’m angry about the absolute cluster fuck the club have made of the ticketing situation, they’ve destroyed the brilliant home atmosphere that had been created, treated long time loyal supporting silvers with contempt with the shit ballot system and in 2 of our biggest games of the season in the last week the place has been like a morgue. Well fucking played all.

We’re almost an excellent team, a proper centre forward will make us better again, but it won’t make us better than city. It’s a fucking lost cause.

It's the self harm that makes me furious Rodders. Most of us can tolerate losing a game and not winning the league or a cup, "IF" every effort is made and every sensible decision taken to try to get the win. What we've had since 2006 is constant shooting ourselves in the foot, driven by managers whose ego and stubborness means they cling to clearly sub-standard players, play favourites and buy the cast-offs of the teams we're supposed to be competing with.

You're right, 9 wins and 1 draw in the previous ten games is a cracking run of form, but losing yesterday wasn't simply "one of those things" that are bound to happen on occasion, it was self-inflicted due to piss poor managerial decisions. If you're on a great run, then stick with the winning formula, but no, Arteta changes things because he has to play Havertz, Zinchenko and Jesus. They're all fucking gash, but just like his mentor, he can't be wrong, so he's gonna play them. That's what makes us fucking angry. It also makes us angry that everyone knew last summer that it was vital to add a top striker, but Arteta decided to buy Havertz and keep Eddie. Self-harm right there. £700 million spent and not a striker worthy of the name in the squad. That's sheer fucking negligence. We also lack a top quality keeper, but we all know my feelings on that one.

I get your point about City, but as corrupt as it is, we could all live with being a very close second. When Liverpool got 97 points and lost the league to City's 98, their supporters weren't angry with Klopp and the team. Imagine how galling that must be, but they knew that the side could have done no more and remained 100% behind them. In contrast, we have a manager that has improved an awful lot of things around the club, but the fatal flaw of ego will scupper us every time. Yesterday's defeat is entirely on Arteta and his team selection. I'd be less angry if I thought he'd learn from it, but he won't, because MKll can't be wrong.
THAT is the best post on this thread. 100% bang on the money. Every single word. 8)

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 am
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 am
In one sense I’m finding it hard to get angry, we won 9 and drew 1 of the last 10 before yesterday and all that did was put us in a position where if we won 8 more in a row we’d win the league. 17 wins and a draw from the last 18 and the title is yours lads. Piece of piss.

City are just fucking exhausting, Liverpool drew against united last week, they’re dead. We lost yesterday - dead. Either win every week or forget about it, perfect or bust. The relentless machine that is city has caused both teams to implode and if it wasn’t for the covid asterix season they’d be on what now…..6/7 titles in a row?

Last season I really started to believe, people on here to be fair warned me and said city would win every game on the run in (which I really couldn’t see happening) and they were right. They churned out win after win after win after win and we disintegrated, they blew us away and they’ll do the exact same thing this season.

I want to be angry but we can’t live with them, nobody in this league can live with them and when they go back to back in the champions league this season it will show that no team in Europe can live with them. It’s completely disheartening and soul destroying.

What I am angry about though was the complete no show yesterday, especially second half where we never came out of the dressing room and every single player was found wanting. Not one fucking player stood up, not any of the starting 11 or any of the subs who were even worse.

I’m angry about the walking calamity that is Zinchenko, an accident waiting to happen every time he’s on the ball. I’m angry that we haven’t a centre forward worthy of the name at the club (how many goals have Jesus and Eddie got this season - embarrassing).

I’m angry about the absolute cluster fuck the club have made of the ticketing situation, they’ve destroyed the brilliant home atmosphere that had been created, treated long time loyal supporting silvers with contempt with the shit ballot system and in 2 of our biggest games of the season in the last week the place has been like a morgue. Well fucking played all.

We’re almost an excellent team, a proper centre forward will make us better again, but it won’t make us better than city. It’s a fucking lost cause.

It's the self harm that makes me furious Rodders. Most of us can tolerate losing a game and not winning the league or a cup, "IF" every effort is made and every sensible decision taken to try to get the win. What we've had since 2006 is constant shooting ourselves in the foot, driven by managers whose ego and stubborness means they cling to clearly sub-standard players, play favourites and buy the cast-offs of the teams we're supposed to be competing with.

You're right, 9 wins and 1 draw in the previous ten games is a cracking run of form, but losing yesterday wasn't simply "one of those things" that are bound to happen on occasion, it was self-inflicted due to piss poor managerial decisions. If you're on a great run, then stick with the winning formula, but no, Arteta changes things because he has to play Havertz, Zinchenko and Jesus. They're all fucking gash, but just like his mentor, he can't be wrong, so he's gonna play them. That's what makes us fucking angry. It also makes us angry that everyone knew last summer that it was vital to add a top striker, but Arteta decided to buy Havertz and keep Eddie. Self-harm right there. £700 million spent and not a striker worthy of the name in the squad. That's sheer fucking negligence. We also lack a top quality keeper, but we all know my feelings on that one.

I get your point about City, but as corrupt as it is, we could all live with being a very close second. When Liverpool got 97 points and lost the league to City's 98, their supporters weren't angry with Klopp and the team. Imagine how galling that must be, but they knew that the side could have done no more and remained 100% behind them. In contrast, we have a manager that has improved an awful lot of things around the club, but the fatal flaw of ego will scupper us every time. Yesterday's defeat is entirely on Arteta and his team selection. I'd be less angry if I thought he'd learn from it, but he won't, because MKll can't be wrong.
I for one would be keen to here these keeper concerns...;)

Hard to disagree my only clinker of hope is we actually react this time, beat Bayern or maybe win the rest of the league games. The self harm and inevitable nature is what those of us refusing to be blinded or flip flopp on the manager thread hair been warning yet some drink the kool aid at the slightest green shoots.

If we collapse again I'm 100% manager out as not learning.

Anyway let's hope the weather plays ball and essex get out there shortly to sweep the kentish dross away.

Step

Post by Step »

Fully agree with the above. I've been questioning Arteta's thinking for ages.
- Tierney on loan (surely a more reliable option to the /Citeh cast off)
- Raya a better keeper than England's number 2? Not in my book
- Being praised for getting rid of Aubameyang having battled for months to keep him (vastly increasing his wages into the bargain).
- Retaining Leno over Martinez who had performed brilliantly that season in the FA Cup and was clearly a class act.
- The wisdom of snapping up two Citeh cast offs. There is a reason why they didn't want to retain. Both good for the initial 6 months but now a liability.
- The refusal to give Smith Rowe a fair run in the team. We can see his potential. Arteta cannot. It was the same with Martinelli. He only played him initially when he had no other option. We could see his qualities long before Mikel. If we're not careful we will end up losing Smith Rowe and he will blossom elsewhere.
- You could argue that Arteta sets his teams up according to who we are playing (often poorly) but he has an inability to change the tactics mid game. Subs are always like for like and often he looks at Nketia or Nelson for the late winner when neither are prolific in the goal scoring department. Bayern an embarrassing case in point. A totally naive performance against fade European masters.
- Whilst I agree that Havertz has an important role to play he was not only out of position v Villa but also appeared totally knackered and was left on far too long. Fully agree with Merse re Jesus. Use as an impact player not from the start.
- England have a squad capable of winning the Euros and a manager who is not. We have a similar situation. The boss is not up to it.
- I always felt we were hasty in getting rid of Unai. He is a real tactician and quite simply put Arteta in his place yesterday. It was the perfect away performance. Let's not forget they hit the woodwork twice too.
- Expect a brave initial start against Bayern on Wednesday but the same old story. Ineffective finishing and a comfortable Bayern win.
- Arteta out of his depth IMO.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Step wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:35 am
- Being praised for getting rid of Aubameyang having battled for months to keep him (vastly increasing his wages into the bargain).
- Retaining Leno over Martinez who had performed brilliantly that season in the FA Cup and was clearly a class act.
- The wisdom of snapping up two Citeh cast offs. There is a reason why they didn't want to retain. Both good for the initial 6 months but now a liability.
- The refusal to give Smith Rowe a fair run in the team. We can see his potential. Arteta cannot. It was the same with Martinelli. He only played him initially when he had no other option. We could see his qualities long before Mikel. If we're not careful we will end up losing Smith Rowe and he will blossom elsewhere.
- You could argue that Arteta sets his teams up according to who we are playing (often poorly) but he has an inability to change the tactics mid game. Subs are always like for like and often he looks at Nketia or Nelson for the late winner when neither are prolific in the goal scoring department. Bayern an embarrassing case in point. A totally naive performance against fade European masters.
- Whilst I agree that Havertz has an important role to play he was not only out of position v Villa but also appeared totally knackered and was left on far too long. Fully agree with Merse re Jesus. Use as an impact player not from the start.
- England have a squad capable of winning the Euros and a manager who is not. We have a similar situation. The boss is not up to it.
- I always felt we were hasty in getting rid of Unai. He is a real tactician and quite simply put Arteta in his place yesterday. It was the perfect away performance. Let's not forget they hit the woodwork twice too.
- Expect a brave initial start against Bayern on Wednesday but the same old story. Ineffective finishing and a comfortable Bayern win.
Excellent balanced post mate. All correct too.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Step wrote:
Failure to sign a CF when the whole world knew that was what was missing is another to add to that very accurate list
Massive contracts for the likes of Nelson and Nketiah which essentially prices us out of the market as nobody wants to take their wages over

I always said this fabled clear out of the dead wood was a load of bollocks. Statistically the supposedly weak Emery (bollocks too) got rid of far more deadwood, far more quickly before eventually the club allowed Arteta the freedom to buy out (at a massive cost) Ozil and Auba.

Last season's excuse of injuries doesn't apply to this year either - we have the most available and fit squad out of anyone in the league....literally only Timber out.

Still mentally weak - that's the most damning thing of the lot. It is the same April pussy syndrome that Wenger had in place. 4th will soon be a trophy

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

First loss in 10. This seems very apt today with the reaction

‘If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win”

― Bill Shankly

Rob Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rob Admin »

What can't be disputed is how Arteta has stopped the rot, stabilized the squad, got rid of the holiday camp mentality which allowed players to take the piss out of the club and he has taken us to the Verge of greatness, but has he got what is takes for the couple of percent required to make them into winners?

Last year's collapse will always be in the back of the player's minds, and as it happens this season that losing way will only further ingrain in the DNA of this team until eventually they will look around at one another and have no belief in ever achieving anything. So just heads down get paid and plod on over move to another club.

If the Barcelona rumours were true, I think it would be a great move for both parties. He's done a sterling job getting us this far, but I don't feel we can go much further without change.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:21 pm

― Bill Shankly
You can bet shankly wouldn’t be picking zinchenko.

And it’s a nonsense quote to be fair, I’ll support and give out about Arsenal in the same breath and anyone who doesn’t like it can as our Aussie brethren would say….”git facked m8”

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

xgtdec wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:25 pm

― Bill Shankly
You can bet shankly wouldn’t be picking zinchenko.

And it’s a nonsense quote to be fair, I’ll support and give out about Arsenal in the same breath and anyone who doesn’t like it can as our Aussie brethren would say….”git facked m8”
It's that we always lose or draw when it really, really, really matters. Does anyone think for one second if the dippers rolled into town with 3 games left in the season and we were tied on top, we would win 3-1? We wouldn't, we wouldn't even get a draw. And therein lies the problem, and has for years......it's the mentality, the mental strength....it's not there. It hasn't been there for over a decade.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

― Bill Shankly
I've warned you before about the WUMing. That post is a complete WUM post to try and provoke a negative reaction from lads on here that have supported this club through thick and thin for decades, in some cases for 40 to 50 years. They just haven't done it dressed up as a blind sheep superfan. Who do you think you are to question that?

That's your last warning mate. Show some respect to the other members on here, do not question their loyalty, and cop on.

Viv Andersons Tache

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm

― Bill Shankly
I've warned you before about the WUMing. That post is a complete WUM post to try and provoke a negative reaction from lads on here that have supported this club through thick and thin for decades, in some cases for 40 to 50 years. They just haven't done it dressed up as a blind sheep superfan. Who do you think you are to question that?

That's your last warning mate. Show some respect to the other members on here, do not question their loyalty, and cop on.
Sorry my intention isn’t to irritate. There’s been some decent posts on the subject today (Rodders, steve0) that I’ve said were good.

I’m no super fan was just a reminder to keep the faith. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

― Bill Shankly

Sorry my intention isn’t to irritate. There’s been some decent posts on the subject today (Rodders, steve0) that I’ve said were good.

No one here needs to be reminded to support their team. Supporting a team is more than just blind belief though. And any fan that has spent the kind of money most on here have spent over decades of support, is entitled to be angry when a supposedly elite manager and highly paid players shit the bed.

Viv Andersons Tache

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:59 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

― Bill Shankly

No one here needs to be reminded to support their team. Supporting a team is more than just blind belief though. And any fan that has spent the kind of money most on here have spent over decades of support, is entitled to be angry when a supposedly elite manager and highly paid players shit the bed.
Hey I get it. I’ve spent a fortune following the club all over the place. Poxy friendlies overseas where half the team don’t even bother to turn up. Everyone is entitled to their view. I’m still hacked off about yesterday. The manager did make mistakes `(Vieira instead of ESR ) but a football match was lost that’s all. However DB I feel it very appropriate to offer a counter opinion on behalf of the fans who are fully behind this team and manager at this time because some of the opinions here are extreme so please don’t attack me for voicing my opinion.

Step

Post by Step »

Quite simply with Arteta we will remain at best flat track bullies.
He is tactically inept and has proved it time and time again.
If Barca want him then I think it would be the best move for Arsenal as this guy (like Wenger in his latter years) is the odd cup and 3rd place at best.
I knew we wouldn't win on Sun (had a fiver on the draw) but was expecting us to scrap for a point.
Very pretty in the first half but as so often fruitless.
He comes on at the end and says we need to be more clinical!! The tactical wizard's mind at its finest.
Prepare to be dumped by Bayern on Wed. No brainer.

Sorry to appear so negative but it's reality!!

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 am
Step wrote:
Excellent balanced post mate. All correct too.
Yes i concur...post of the week right there .....