Norwich charity cup winners 1919/20 A Sun April 28th KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Norwich charity cup winners 1919/20 A Sun April 28th KO 2pm

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 am
Really disappointed with Raya. Had he not made that error and given Spurs momentum, we would have put them on the end of a proper scoreline. 4 or 5 nil. Had flashbacks of the 4-4 draw with Newcastle.
Just more signs for me that he isn't an upgrade on Ramsdale and we could have focused our attentions elsewhere in the squad. People will go on about this golden glove but how much of that do we put down to him, and how much to Saliba and Gabriel. A key example was yesterday - Spurs had 2 shots on target, the penalty and the goal he created for them. The defence shut them out. Chelsea one shot on target. Wolves had 3. Bayern 3. Villa had 2 - both goals. Brighton away 2. Luton at home 1.

He has been ok but has had precious little to do. Neat and tidy on the crosses, some half decent kicks but some bloody awful ones too. My point is that Ramsdale could have done all of that too behind what has been for the most part a watertight defence.

Raya will be another "ok" keeper

There is no doubt that the modern day footie fan (not just Gooners) do some of THE most embarassing flip flopping ever seen - guys who were sticking their knives in raya all of a sudden were declaring him a massive success after the porto game and I couldnt believe it tbh :shock: Like Steve O suggests, raya is an ok keeper but no better than that and certainly not a big enough upgrade on ramsdale who also isnt good enough

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I was away yesterday so missed the game but incredible that after the Bayern and Villa games, we have responded with 3 straight wins. The only negative of yesterday is that in usual circumstances that could be a title defining win but undoubtedly City crooks and their 115 charges will win every remaining game.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

:D :D :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm taking the positives from yesterday.

1. We beat the scum.

2. Last year we would have lost that game. This year we held on and won it.

3. We beat the scum. 8)

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Fuck me, nerve shredding stuff and the most I’ll take from that game is that we beat that lot on their own dirt, which is usually good enough. However, play like that against a half decent side and even against the scum and nine times out of ten we lose the game. How we went in 0-3 up fuck knows. I suppose the positive is that we took our chances and we did to them what so many teams have done to us in the last 15 years.

I won’t criticise Arteta for the different approach that he used yesterday, sitting deeper and letting them come on. They’re a team that likes teams to press and then when the ball gets turned over they hit them on the break. What they’re not good at is breaking down a team sitting deep. It was similar to the approach used at City.

The game showed the three areas where we need to invest:

GK. Ramsdale wasn’t the answer and I have no more faith in Raya than Ramsdale. He’s less manic and chaotic, but nowhere near the improvement that we needed. That horrendous fuck up yesterday could have cost us the win. Our defence has been so good that our keepers face few efforts on goal, but I don’t trust either to make the saves they ought to make with efforts on target. I also think Raya is too short for a modern keeper. We only have him on loan, so could easily send him back and buy a better keeper, but I’ve no doubt that Arteta will sign him permanently.

Centre mid. We desperately need a partner for Rice and ideally one that allows him to play further forward. When the best option we have is Jorginho, then it’s time to invest. Partey is an accident waiting to happen and all his faults were on display yesterday. I’ve been disappointed in him since day one and all we used to get was the odd stand out performance amidst a sea of “meh”. Now we get the odd “meh” performance amidst a sea of crap. Should have sold him last summer as me and Rodders kept saying.

Centre forward. Havertz has undoubtedly improved and yesterday was possibly his best game for us, but he’s nowhere near a top level striker and never will be. It’s not his fault, he’s limited and that’s that. Did well with the diagonal for Saka’s goal and took his headed goal well, but won’t make the difference that a top level striker makes. Some on here talk as though he’s another Bergkamp, Henry or RVP, but that’s the quality a team regularly fighting for top honours needs and he’s light years from that level. Sobering to think that we once had those blokes in the same side.

By the way, none of the pundits on tv or the boys on here have commented on what for me was the outstanding aspect of Saka’s goal. Very good ball from Havertz and a good cut inside and finish from Saka, but the key was the fabulous way that Saka took the diagonal as it came over his shoulder. The first touch on the half volley as the ball landed, to cushion it and have it instantly under control without breaking stride was beyond superb and it’s a really difficult skill. If he didn’t pull that off, then he probably doesn’t score. Great stuff.

UTG.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm
Fuck me, nerve shredding stuff and the most I’ll take from that game is that we beat that lot on their own dirt, which is usually good enough. However, play like that against a half decent side and even against the scum and nine times out of ten we lose the game. How we went in 0-3 up fuck knows. I suppose the positive is that we took our chances and we did to them what so many teams have done to us in the last 15 years.

I won’t criticise Arteta for the different approach that he used yesterday, sitting deeper and letting them come on. They’re a team that likes teams to press and then when the ball gets turned over they hit them on the break. What they’re not good at is breaking down a team sitting deep. It was similar to the approach used at City.

GK. Ramsdale wasn’t the answer and I have no more faith in Raya than Ramsdale. He’s less manic and chaotic, but nowhere near the improvement that we needed. That horrendous fuck up yesterday could have cost us the win. Our defence has been so good that our keepers face few efforts on goal, but I don’t trust either to make the saves they ought to make with efforts on target. I also think Raya is too short for a modern keeper. We only have him on loan, so could easily send him back and buy a better keeper, but I’ve no doubt that Arteta will sign him permanently.

Centre mid. We desperately need a partner for Rice and ideally one that allows him to play further forward. When the best option we have is Jorginho, then it’s time to invest. Partey is an accident waiting to happen and all his faults were on display yesterday. I’ve been disappointed in him since day one and all we used to get was the odd stand out performance amidst a sea of “meh”. Now we get the odd “meh” performance amidst a sea of crap. Should have sold him last summer as me and Rodders kept saying.

Centre forward. Havertz has undoubtedly improved and yesterday was possibly his best game for us, but he’s nowhere near a top level striker and never will be. It’s not his fault, he’s limited and that’s that. Did well with the diagonal for Saka’s goal and took his headed goal well, but won’t make the difference that a top level striker makes. Some on here talk as though he’s another Bergkamp, Henry or RVP, but that’s the quality a team regularly fighting for top honours needs and he’s light years from that level. Sobering to think that we once had those blokes in the same side.

By the way, none of the pundits on tv or the boys on here have commented on what for me was the outstanding aspect of Saka’s goal. Very good ball from Havertz and a good cut inside and finish from Saka, but the key was the fabulous way that Saka took the diagonal as it came over his shoulder. The first touch on the half volley as the ball landed, to cushion it and have it instantly under control without breaking stride was beyond superb and it’s a really difficult skill. If he didn’t pull that off, then he probably doesn’t score. Great stuff.

UTG.
yes well noted...the way he took the ball on the run set up the goal....great quality....but what do you expect he comes from Greenford :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.
yes well noted...the way he took the ball on the run set up the goal....great quality....but what do you expect he comes from Greenford :barscarf:

So you're a Greenford boy are you Red? Got to be honest, I don't know that area too well at all. I suppose it's mainly QPR territory is it?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 am
Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:57 pm
Can't believe the MOTD coverage arguing that Kulisevski should have had a penalty and then showing slo-mo footage which shows that he kicks Trossard first....
Just all part of the anti-Arsenal agenda which they push to try and pretend that somehow we're lucky. Fuck em.
Had Saka converted that volley from a peach of a Havertz cross we would have been 4-0 up and the place would have been empty apart from our corner

They needed a huge cock up and a pen ( not disputing it was a pen by the way )

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.
Good post Retro

Can’t argue with your rational thinking on the GK, I prefer Raya due to the stability but he doesn’t pull of the worldly saves that Ramsdale is capable of, yet it’s apparent he still has the ability to pull a cock up from nowhere. However, he recovered well to claim all crosses slung in. ( he did get nowhere near a punch in the first half that was headed narrowly over, thankfully )

Partey is surely gone in the summer and a mobile yet effective DM releases Rice upfield in the games that allow him to do so, while retaining the option to play both v.City or anyone else we deem necessary.

As you said possibly Havertz’ best game for us, yet he still only a 7/8 out of 10 at his best, I guess we maybe spoilt from the recent past where we had players like Henry / Pires / Bergkamp / Fabregas producing 9 and 10 out of 10’s regularly. I think effective is the best way to describe him.

Right now I would put Martinelli’s place next season in huge doubt going forward as he has been pretty ineffective across the whole season, would generate a decent fee and I think we can get a better return in terms of goals, asssists and effectiveness from another player a la Trossard.

Happy st Totteringham Day again, let’s make it a regular occurrence again

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 am
Really disappointed with Raya. Had he not made that error and given Spurs momentum, we would have put them on the end of a proper scoreline. 4 or 5 nil. Had flashbacks of the 4-4 draw with Newcastle.
Just more signs for me that he isn't an upgrade on Ramsdale and we could have focused our attentions elsewhere in the squad. People will go on about this golden glove but how much of that do we put down to him, and how much to Saliba and Gabriel. A key example was yesterday - Spurs had 2 shots on target, the penalty and the goal he created for them. The defence shut them out. Chelsea one shot on target. Wolves had 3. Bayern 3. Villa had 2 - both goals. Brighton away 2. Luton at home 1.

He has been ok but has had precious little to do. Neat and tidy on the crosses, some half decent kicks but some bloody awful ones too. My point is that Ramsdale could have done all of that too behind what has been for the most part a watertight defence.

Raya will be another "ok" keeper
Raya isn't the answer steveo but adhd ramsdale on those crosses? No way he catches half of them. We should beat able to do better than raya but ramsdale is a disaster wait9mg to happen, ignoring his good shot stopping, and imo causes the defence panic. Raya has some credit i think for the calm this season in those in front of him.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.
Fairly sure raya is done deal, and was agreed when we loaned him to comply with ffp. Doubt any way we can pull out of it and not sign him.

As I said better than Rambo but not by much, and nkt good enough. Problem is and I don't follow th European game, who is out there who is? Donnamarru at psg was meant to be the nuts but seen him getting pelters recently.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:35 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.

So you're a Greenford boy are you Red? Got to be honest, I don't know that area too well at all. I suppose it's mainly QPR territory is it?
Yes not far away Retro...... mostly QPR and Chelsea here
He used to go to Greenford high school and by all accounts was very well thought off, no one has a bad word for him
That stuff on twitter was really out of order, still hes level headed to take it as the nonsense it is

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Bench Cam: 11 Minutes worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_kKYO7jcY

EssexGooner1981

Post by EssexGooner1981 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.
Good post Retro

Can’t argue with your rational thinking on the GK, I prefer Raya due to the stability but he doesn’t pull of the worldly saves that Ramsdale is capable of, yet it’s apparent he still has the ability to pull a cock up from nowhere. However, he recovered well to claim all crosses slung in. ( he did get nowhere near a punch in the first half that was headed narrowly over, thankfully )

Partey is surely gone in the summer and a mobile yet effective DM releases Rice upfield in the games that allow him to do so, while retaining the option to play both v.City or anyone else we deem necessary.

As you said possibly Havertz’ best game for us, yet he still only a 7/8 out of 10 at his best, I guess we maybe spoilt from the recent past where we had players like Henry / Pires / Bergkamp / Fabregas producing 9 and 10 out of 10’s regularly. I think effective is the best way to describe him.

Right now I would put Martinelli’s place next season in huge doubt going forward as he has been pretty ineffective across the whole season, would generate a decent fee and I think we can get a better return in terms of goals, asssists and effectiveness from another player a la Trossard.

I'm obviously a big Martinelli fan. I think it's good that him and Trossard are pushing each other for a place; develops better players. He's won games for us many times and he's only 22. I loved watching him terrorise Trent A-A in February.

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

EssexGooner1981 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:45 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

UTG.
Good post Retro

I'm obviously a big Martinelli fan. I think it's good that him and Trossard are pushing each other for a place; develops better players. He's won games for us many times and he's only 22. I loved watching him terrorise Trent A-A in February.
It's been mentioned before, but he doesn't have the same level of understanding with a full back that Saka and White have. Because let's face it, they change every other game and, we'll, Zinchenko.... :roll:

When Kiwior played a few games it was more settled down the left. Hopefully Timber, if he plays LB, or a new LB, will provide that support.

Of course, Diet Pep might be telling him how to play :rubchin: