new arsenal anthem thinktank thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nice1tomo

Post by nice1tomo »

Danny Boy, Impossible Dream and Streets of London are good shouts. We need to leave contempary karaoke favourites like Wonderwall an Angles (please no) alone. Also fast numbers like You Really Got me are to upbeat and lose the football anthem touch.

Personally I'd have 'Two Little Boys' as an anthem. There's the 'Victory through friendship' message going throughout which has an obvious link to The Arsenal. It's a nice slow one therefore easy to sing and has a climatic chorus. I wouldn't have it played down the PA but have an old boy in a suit leading the crowd in song like the scousers do on big nights with YNWA.

Two little boys had two little toys
Each had a wooden horse
Daily they played each summer's day
Warriors both of course
One little chap then had a mishap
Broke off his horse's head
Wept for his toy then cried with joy
As his young playmate said

Did you think I would leave you crying
When there's room on my horse for two
Climb up here Jack and don't be crying
I can go just as fast with two
When we grow up we'll both be soldiers
And our horses will not be toys
And I wonder if we'll remember
When we were two little boys

Long years had passed, war came so fast
Bravely they marched away
Cannon roared loud, and in the mad crowd
Wounded and dying lay
Up goes a shout, a horse dashes out
Out from the ranks so blue
Gallops away to where Joe lay
Then came a voice he knew

Did you think I would leave you dying
When there's room on my horse for two
Climb up here Joe, we'll soon be flying
I can go just as fast with two
Did you say Joe I'm all a-tremble
Perhaps it's the battle's noise
But I think it's that I remember

Do you think I would leave you dying
There's room on my horse for two
Climb up here Joe, we'll soon by flying
Back to the ranks so blue
Can you feel Joe I'm all a tremble
Perhaps it's the battle's noise
But I think it's that I remember

nice1tomo

Post by nice1tomo »

sh!t. Just checked the song 'Two Little Boys' on wikipedia. Turns out Hartlepool Utd sing it at their home games. Apologies.

However, I stiil think it'd suit us better ;)

nice1tomo

Post by nice1tomo »

sh!t. Just checked the song 'Two Little Boys' on wikipedia. Turns out Hartlepool Utd sing it at their home games. Apologies.

However, I stiil think it'd suit us better ;)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I remember singing that song in primary school in Australia. Not too sure about the melody being a bit "nursery rhyme-ish" :? but the bleeding lyrics are f*cking awesome aren't they? :shock: Real hair standing up on neck stuff - especially, as you say, the chorus.

I'm imagining it being belted out by 60,000 Gooners and it sounds (in my head anyway! :) ) damn good... 8)

I'd put it a close second to my Danny Boy re-write!! :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

B*ll*ocks. I replied before your reply. So discount my last glowing endorsment also. We need an original anthem, something that's OURS.

shame though, I love those lyrics... :(

I Hate Hleb

TWO NUTTY GOONERS

Post by I Hate Hleb »

NICE1TOMO AND DB10GOONER,

REGARDING 'TWO LITTLE BOYS' AS A CLUB ANTHEM - ARE YOU GUYS HAVING A BUBBLE?

CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE NAME AND NUMBER OF YOUR DEALER. THAT GUY IS OBVIOUSLY GIVING OUT SOME SERIOUSLY HALLUCINATORY GEAR TO FELLOW GOONERS - AND I WANT TO JOIN YOUR WORLD!! :wink:

I HAVE READ NUMEROUS WILD AND WACKY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE NEW ANTHEM BUT I HAVE GOT TO SAY, THAT IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE FUNNIEST/WEIRDIST/CRAZIEST IDEA YET.

CAN YOU IMAGE HOW THE OPPOSITION FANS ARE GOING TO REACT WHEN WE BURST INTO A ROLF HARRIS TUNE? A F*CKING ROLF HARRIS TUNE!!!!

I'VE CHECKED THE CALENDAR AND IT'S NOT APRIL 1ST, SO PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME IT WAS JUST MEANT TO BE A JOKE. I KNOW WHAT IT IS: YOU THOUGHT YOU WOULD THROW IT OUT THERE AND WAIT FOR SOME IDIOT TO BITE (THAT WOULD BE ME, THEN).

O.K. YOU GOT ME GUYS!! :oops: NOW LETS GET BACK TO THE SERIOUS ISSUE AT HAND.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Can you even imagine the stick we'd get from Spuds fans (and anyone else for that matter) if our anthem was "Two Little Boys" what with the Arsene Wenger jokes, etc...

As DB10 would say: Jaysus!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

tonysaunders wrote:Can you even imagine the stick we'd get from Spuds fans (and anyone else for that matter) if our anthem was "Two Little Boys" what with the Arsene Wenger jokes, etc...

As DB10 would say: Jaysus!
Ha! :lol:

Rolf RULES!! :shock: 8)

Well, compared to that twonk robbie williams anyway... :roll:

Great lyrics though... :wink:

Seriously though, the song has got shit permutations regarding the nursey rhyme melody and Arsene's run in with the lying spud scum bag (is there any other type?) that worked for AP :evil: .

But I do like that last chorus' lyrics! 8)

Guess it'll have to be my awesome re-write of Danny Boy which I think is... well, awesome!! :wink: :roll:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Think we should bury the 'two litle boys' idea now!!

No to cheesy pop songs, Danny Boy good, like your version DB10 but think what song we go for needs to use original lyrics as is going to be hard enough getting everyone singing as it is.

Was always a fan of impossible dream but think it may be a little long winded, Bridge good, but the one song that has stuck out to me is one that I initially thought was a joke and that is Somewhere over the Rainbow as it seems to tick every box. Easy to sing, spinetingling if sung by thousands, you go straight into the powerful bit and then come back to it later, can be sung in a short burst and have the same impact as a long version much like YNWA does. Sentiment is good. Whilst started as cheesy idea so is bubbles and that works for them. Plus known by lots of people.

Anyone For Peanuts

Impossible Dream

Post by Anyone For Peanuts »

I have to admit................I hated the idea of Impossible Dream. I thought the lyrics were great but it was unsingable........it is a possibility.
Last edited by Anyone For Peanuts on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anyone For Peanuts

Nooooooooooooo!!!!

Post by Anyone For Peanuts »

I've reverted back to 'Over the Rainbow'!

Ignore my last post. I've just realised how perfect 'Over The Rainbow' is.

It has everything; the lyrics, a song that can be sung be everyone (young and old included), familiarity, novelty factor, a degree of naffness that means it isn't pompous...................and it was played at Alan Ball's funeral.

It's screaming out..........sing me............sing me...........sing me!

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

over the rainbow...well get little conny from britains got talent over the arsenal and get her to start it off, the girls got talent to give to us fans, lol.....also the lyrics could be changed to *somewhere over the arsenal* lol, sorry there the sort of suggestions beer gives to you.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

stearmaster wrote:also the lyrics could be changed to *somewhere over the arsenal* lol, sorry there the sort of suggestions beer gives to you.
Ah, Beer. It gives us so so many things. 8)

T.S

Post by T.S »

Personally I’d like to hear as Arsenalised version of Celine Dion’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’ – possibly along the lines of ‘My Arse Will Go On’. That’d be phat.

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

*my arse would go on* was that meant to sound as funny as it actully did lol great choice one of the best so far.