big tone for arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
legend10

Post by legend10 »

through a mate whos mate works at portsmouth says adams hates arsene wenger and will not come back in any capacity while he is still here

not sure i believe it but would explain why he hasnt been back for testimonials etc

I Hate Hleb

BIG TONE DEBATE

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Tonysaunders,

Having read your second post I spent almost an hour constucting a reply to your points, but somewhow it got lost when I tried to submit it. Therefore, I will summarise:

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion - just as I am when I say you are out of order and talking bollocks! It doesn't mean either of us has to respect the others opinion - only the right to have one.

If you re-read your original post you say Tony Adams is a "shit human being." How do you know? Have you a personal experience to share with us to prove that point? That's where you were first out of order!

If you read the other replies to this thread, I think you would have found the answers to many of your other gripes regarding Adams. U.F.G Anfield '89, in both of his contributions, was absolutely spot on.

As for your complaint that when he came back with Pompey "no mention of the fans, the club, anything. I didn't expect a lap of honour, but a wave, or a mention would have been nice", DB10GOONER summed it up perfectly thus: "Whatever our opinions of him as a person, as an Arsenal defender, captain and legend he is without peer. He is a legend. Do we really need him to be kissing our asses at every oportunity? No. I know, a wave or a bit of recognition would be nice but f*ck it I'd rather have the great defensive performances, the trophies and the memories of great Arsenal sides."

True Arsenal fans would rather someone 'who walked the walk' and showed their passion for the club with their performances, rather then someone who 'talks' about loving the Arsenal, yet runs away at the first sign of a bigger pay cheque (Ashley Cole for example).

There is also a contradiction when at first you say: "Ever since, he has rarely had anything to say about this Club that he's meant to love, let alone anything good." then claim "So he stays quiet for so long, and now that he's (going to be) out of a job, he comes sniffing around Arsenal again to get a bit of attention". What sniffing has he done exactly? (surely you're not confusing him with Paul Merson! :wink: ).

Finally bruv, (and remember, this is just a summary - imagine how long my original reply was!), as for my tag I Hate Hleb: there is a big difference between insulting someone who has had a long and distinguished history with the club and continually put his body on the line for the cause (Adams); and showing distain for a player that cost over £8million (allegedly) yet can't pass, shoot, tackle, give the team width, or even show some passion - the very least we as Arsenal fans expect.

There, I've finally got it off my chest! Feel free to do the same.

T.S

Post by T.S »

I Hate Hleb: A nice reply – I like it when people take the time to post something decent on forums. So good work. Firstly, the whole thing about Tony Adams being a shit human being, I’m afraid that I was guilty of one of the things I hate the most there, generalisation. So you’ve pulled me up on that one. Fair play.

As for the Pompey thing, I do agree with DB10 (and in turn, you) to a certain degree, but I couldn’t help but feel a little foolish for singing the man’s name when he came back (and I’m almost certain the people around me felt the same. I’ve never expected him to “kiss our asses,â€

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

You know, this reminds me a bit of Liam Brady. A legend as a player but unfortunately he never went on to become a great (or even half decent) manager.

Also, as far as personalities goes, I worshipped Chippy when I was a kid living in Australia, he was a God in my eyes; an Irishman that was the best player at Arsenal, the club I loved (and still love) and deffo in the top three of great players from his generation. 8)

And then, when we moved back to Ireland, I was playing for our local club and one year our president managed to wrangle Irish Internationals Chippy, Frank Stapleton, David O'Leary and Tony Grealish to attend our trophy night and present the awards and trophies etc.

I was over the moon! :lol: 8) :lol:

And then I actually met the cranky, rude, ignorant little bollix that is Liam Brady :evil: and my dream was farcking shattered. He scowled the whole time he was there, spoke to no one, presented only one award, didn't pose for any photos, refused to sign autographs and then went and sat in the car while O'Leary, Stapo and Grealish posed for photos, signed autographs and chatted away to all the kids gathered there that night. True gents (even the now mouthy O'Leary) and legends for that night alone. 8)

I was devestated by Chippy's behaviour, to say the least. :(

So, since then I've had a very strange, mixed opinion of Chippy; I still worship him as a legendery Gunner, but I despise him as the person I met ("encountered" might be a better word :? ) that night.

A sad but true tale...

I Hate Hleb

The Tonester

Post by I Hate Hleb »

tonysaunders,

Fair enough mate. If you take away your 'shit human being' comment, I think you'll find we at least agree on some things.

I concur that Tony Adams should have given the supporters a wave against Pompey, but I don't think there is anything sinister in it. Blimey, even the current crop forget to acknowledge us sometimes, and that's after 90 minutes of encouraging them!!

In my original post I stated that Adams wasn't ready to become manager of Arsenal yet, if ever. He does still need to prove himself (there you go, more harmony!). However, if the possibility arose, I would like to see him among our coaching staff and learning from the best - Mr.Wenger. I'm sure you'll agree that our defence could only benefit from having Tony Adams working with them on the training ground day in, day out.

As for the contradiction comment, I expressed it a lot better in my first (and missing) submission, but the point I was trying to make was that on the one hand you complain he never says anything good about Arsenal, yet when he comes out with the statement that he would love to manage us one day, and that the whole set-up at Arsenal is superb, you accuse him of having selfish and devious motives.

Whenever I've heard Tony Adams speak about Arsenal - which admittedly hasn't been that often - he has had nothing but good to say about the club and the manager. The fact that he has stated that one day he would like to manage the Arsenal is, in its self, a tribute to the club and an acknowledgement that he still has feelings for us. O.K. who wouldn't want the job, but you get my drift, right?

The 'True Arsenal Fans' comment was not supposed to be a slur. I meant it in the way DB10GOONER more eloquently expressed it, namely: we care about their performances in an Arsenal shirt, not their performances on the television or comments in the media - otherwise we would never forgive the likes of Paul Merson, Alan Smith, David Pratt (intended!) and Niall Quinn.

And finally, I don't really hate Hleb. I was struggling to come up with a suitable name to use on the forum and, almost magically, that popped into my head. However, he does frustrate the feck out of me (as fellow season tickets holders who sit near me will testify!), and I would prefer someone else in his position.

CraigPollard

Post by CraigPollard »

Seein as i live only 7 miles from Fratton Park where TA is currently residing, i thought i would add a mention. Nearly every Pompey fan i know acknowledges the work Tony has done for their defense this campaign. I also know that Harry Redknapp believes that he is really coming on as a coach, but does not rate him as a stand alone manager, and when a few months back when Tony mentioned he feels he is ready to do the management thing again, Harry soon told him otherwise.

As for him missin the Bergkamp game, Final salute etc etc. I know that Tony went to Highbury a few days before the last game, to say goodbye on his own. The person who mentioned earlier that he is possibly very shy is probably spot on. Some people dont crave the attention. Ian Wright and Tony Adams are both Arsenal legends, both have at one point since leaving pissed off every Gooner one way or the other, be it for what they said, or for what they havnt said, but the 2 personalities i just named could not be more different.

Maybe Tony just wants to keep his head down, focus on what he is doing, and try to do it on his own accord, rather than name-dropping Arsenal every day. I really dont see him as one of those "do you know who i am" kinda people.

So, to Tony as a ex player. Well done fella, we were honoured to have you as captain for so many glorious years, and we may well never see a better defender/captain in the red and white.

To tony as a manager now. Good luck mate, its great to see you sharing what you have learned with a new generation of player. If your course takes you to The Grove then so be it, you are always welcome back.

Lets face it guys, Arsenal would never replace AW with an unknown would they. I mean we all knew who he was when he joined didnt we ;o)

Craig