big tone for arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nuttygoonerpaul

big tone for arsenal

Post by nuttygoonerpaul »

:D it would be great to see the king of def,s back at arsenal, they dont make players like him anymore .... tony adams ,s red and white army , has a good ring to it.

Pav

Post by Pav »

Hmmmmm - only if Wenger was still involved (Director of Football or whatever) and Pat Rice was his number two.

The Arsenal managers job is too big for TA presently tho in my opinion.

Gooneroonie

Post by Gooneroonie »

Where has he been of late though?! I haven't seen him at The Emirates, and unless I'm mistaken he wasn't at the last game at Highbury...

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

He's currently assistant coach at portsmouth, explains why their defence has been so good this year.

if we could get big tone in to train the defence we would certainly be more formidable side. i seem to remember that martin keown was training our defence during the CL run, don't know why he stopped but unless it was his decision that was a very bad move.

i'd be very happy if anyone of that 5 was coaching our back 4. steve bould is already coaching the youth team. but i digress, if i had to bet on it i would say that he'll be managing his own club before too long.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

T.A is an Arsenal legend but i wouldn"t let him anywhere near the managers job at Ashburton.He has no experience of managing a big club let alone a club that has ambitions of winning the champions league.If Wenger does leave(God forbid) Our next manager will be a top class foriegner who has won european trophies.

tompfarrell

Post by tompfarrell »

Gooneronnie said:
Where has he been of late though?! I haven't seen him at The Emirates, and unless I'm mistaken he wasn't at the last game at Highbury...

Exactly. I wouldn't want him back. He never turned up to "back 5's day" at Highbury, The Final Salute, or Dennis' testimonial. I'd prefer Perry Groves to be honest.

To my knowledge he hasn't said a nice thing about us since the day he left. It's almost as if he blames the Club for him being a drunken bum.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Apparently there were alot of issues between TA and the club (see the thread Tony Adams on page 5 of General Chat) To be honest I'd rather have Dennis Bergkamp become manager to continue the playing style we have at the moment. In the last decade we have seen some of the best football played on the planet and Dennis would very much want to continue that. With Steve Bould as No 2 I think we would go far.

TA needs to prove he can cut it as a top flight manager not sit around watching Harry Redknapp.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Tony Adams can fuck off.

Great player, shit human being. The first thing that seemed odd to me was, when he was supposed to be a guest manager at Martin Keown's testimonial, he never showed. I put it down to his busy schedule (ha). Ever since, he has rarely had anything to say about this Club that he's meant to love, let alone anything good. Then he didn't show up for the last game at Highbury. Then he comes back as Pompey's assistant manager and again, no mention of the fans, the club, anything. I didn't expect a lap of honour, but a wave, or a mention would have been nice.

So he stays quiet for so long, and no that he's (going to be) out of a job, he comes sniffing around Arsenal again to get a bit of attention. The man's ego is huge.

Here's my message to Tony Adams the player: Thanks for all the memories, you truly are one of my heroes.

Tony Adams the ex-player: Just because you want a job here, doesn't mean we want you here. Please, fuck off and leave my Club alone.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

He's hardly been in the press at all. but he's Arsenal through and through. he was on telly the night of the champions league final and he was clearly very much one of us, and also clearly very upset when we lost.

the reason why he's been so quiet is that he's been getting his coaching qualifications as opposed to a career in punditry which would have given him more opportunity to say good things about us. why do we need him to say good things for us, he did good things for us or would you not consider league cup 1987, championship 1989, championship 1991, FA cup and league cup 1993, Double 1998, Double 2002 good?

as for missing the last game at highbury and the back 5's day those were not the only matches being played that day and i'm sure whatever club he was working for at the time would have looked dimly on him throwing a sicky and then appearing on the telly at highbury. as for the bergkamp testimonial, no idea. all i know is that he is the greatest defender ever to play for the club

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

No no no no no er no !!! Tony Adams did his job for us and very well too whilst he was here but we all agree he has no experience to be our Boss and he's not what we are looking for when the Prof finally does call it a day. Do we really think we would be playing football like we are now under Big Tone? Well we might tighten up the defence but I think it would be like a step back to the George Graham days offside and all (hands up baby hands up!! ) I dont know the full story with Tony and Arsenal and Im sure the Gooner ED can fill us in but when you dont go to the functions when you were a key member for years then something is not right . No show at the last Highbury game No show for Dennis Bergkamps testamonial . Maybe Tony thinks Arsenal have let him down somewhere along the line. Gooner ED its over to you!!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I have to say I've never been able to take to TA6 as a person. He always struck me as arrogant and rude. A mate of mine met him at some function a couple years ago and confirmed this opinion.
:(
Having said that, I met a crowd of blokes that live in the village beside TA's mansion when I was on hols in Portugal the night of our CL semi 2nd leg. They said he was a real pillar of the community, doing a lot of work for local charities and the area in general. But doing it on the quiet, not publicising it. So maybe, he's just not a people person, maybe a bit shy (which can often be mistaken as arrogance).

Whatever our opinions of him as a person, as an Arsenal defender, captain and legend he is without peer. He is a legend. Do we really need him to be kissing our asses at every oportunity? No. I know, a wave or a bit of recognition would be nice but f*ck it I'd rather have the great defensive performances, the trophies and the memories of great Arsenal sides. 8) :wink: :D

As far as being our future manager, I'd have to seem him succeed somewhere first. You never know...

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I'd like to see him back here coaching our defence. Then he can learn the ropes from the master &, who knows, maybe he will one day be the manager - but he certainly isn't the finished article yet.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Absolute legend - my god yes? The greatest Gunner of all time? I think so. A great addition to the coaching staff to sort out our defence? - please yes! Management material at the highest level?? Er no.

A close friend of mine is very good friends of a pro footballer who was at Wycombe when TA was manager. Apparently his methods abd beliefs were 'odd' to say the least. He also once named the team for a game at 2.50pm only to be told by one of the players who had named: "But boss I'm suspended for the next three games"!!!

I don't expect him to talk about us or kiss our arse. But I don't expect him to be critical on the occassions he does talk about us and that is what he has done since he left.

I Hate Hleb

TONY ADAMS

Post by I Hate Hleb »

TONY SAUNDERS - HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!!

I AGREE WITH THE MAJORITY THAT HE HASN'T THE EXPERIENCE YET TO TAKE OVER FROM ARSENE, BUT THERE IS NO NEED TO GO INTO A RANT AND CHARACTER ASSASINATION OF ONE ARSENAL'S ALL-TIME GREATS. YOU'RE FUCKING OUT OF ORDER!!!!

CHUNKY THE GOONER - WE SHOULDN'T AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME HE WOULD BE A SECOND GEORGE GRAHAM, JUST BECAUSE HE HAD PLENTY OF SUCCESS PLAYING THAT WAY. FROM EVEYTHING I'VE READ, HE WAS ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE WENGER WAY OF PLAYING AND BENEFITTED FROM IT TOWARDS THE END OF CAREER.

INDEED, I'M SURE I SAW/READ AN INTERVIEW WHERE HE CLAIMED THAT, SHOULD HE BECOME A MANAGER, HE WOULD MAKE HIS TEAMS PLAY FOOTBALL IN THE STYLE OF ARSENE WENGER.

U.F.G ANFIELD'89 HAS GOT IT SPOT ON IN BOTH HIS POSTS. WE CAN ALL ARGUE ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT HE SHOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME MANAGER OF OUR GREAT CLUB, BUT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE SHOULD SO READILY FORGET HIS MASSIVE CONTRIBUTION TO ARSENAL F.C. AND IT'S HISTORY.

IN THAT RESPECT, TONY SAUNDERS, YOU LET YOURSELF DOWN BADLY WITH YOUR OBVIOUSLY ILL-CONSIDERED WORDS. ADAMS WAS ONE OF YOUR HEROES YOU SAY? HATE TO THINK HOW YOU TREAT THE PEOPLE YOU DON'T LIKE!

T.S

Post by T.S »

I Hate Hleb (hate is a strong word, isn't it?!) - I see where you're coming from, but don't forget, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and also, I'm not forcing my view upon anyone. I'm not telling people how to feel, I'm just expressing how I feel. So therefore, I don't really think that I was "fucking out of order". My main problem with TA are the points that I expressed. As far as I'm concerned, TA the player and TA the manager are two completely different people. I'm not going to repeat myself, but I think that what I said was perfectly logical. TA the ex-player is not my hero. He means nothing to me. And why should he? What has he done since he left Arsenal to endear himself to me? Nothing. What has he done to make me not like him? Lots. I don't see what the problem is with what I said.

When it comes to matters like this, though, I love being proven wrong. I'd love for TA to be the main man, to win us the Champions League, League etc, etc. but I don't think it's going to happen for many reasons,